Is There Any Way I Can Get My Job Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry if I'm doing this wrong this is my first time here.

So about 2 months ago I was terminated from my job. The reason for my termination was that I purchased a "fast selling" or limited item when I wasn't allowed to. Basically, I broke the team member purchase policy. That item was the Stanley cup that you saw all over Tiktok. The nature of these products being fast selling was not communicated to any Team Members. On the day of the incident, I asked multiple Team Leads if it was okay for me to purchase a cup. I was told that it was cool by all of them. I went ahead and took a break and purchased the cup. It was on the floor for well over 15 minutes. Come a week later I was terminated. I really liked the job and want to go back. I spoke with my HR ETL and was told that I was marked as unrehirable. I know that she has the ability to overturn this but it was a conduct violation. Is there any way or any chance that I would be able to get rehired if she were to agree to overturn my status?

Just follow the silly rules. They love to fuck over TM's. (some, not all) TL's get on a power trip.

I personally wouldn’t welcome back a TM that took advantage of their position to get a high demand item over a guest. A TM represents Target and should always prioritize the guest. If it’s a high demand item I personally wouldn’t ever get it from my home store. It draws too much attention to yourself.

Target policies do not need to be communicated. They are in the handbook you agree to with employment. It’s always a good idea to review the stuff that will get you fired i.e. policies and code of conduct.

Sorry if I'm doing this wrong this is my first time here.

So about 2 months ago I was terminated from my job. The reason for my termination was that I purchased a "fast selling" or limited item when I wasn't allowed to. Basically, I broke the team member purchase policy. That item was the Stanley cup that you saw all over Tiktok. The nature of these products being fast selling was not communicated to any Team Members. On the day of the incident, I asked multiple Team Leads if it was okay for me to purchase a cup. I was told that it was cool by all of them. I went ahead and took a break and purchased the cup. It was on the floor for well over 15 minutes. Come a week later I was terminated. I really liked the job and want to go back. I spoke with my HR ETL and was told that I was marked as unrehirable. I know that she has the ability to overturn this but it was a conduct violation. Is there any way or any chance that I would be able to get rehired if she were to agree to overturn my status?
From what you've mentioned, I'm not sure why you were terminated. The Stanley cup/mug (don't know the official name) was on the salesfloor for more than 15 minutes and you mentioned that you received approval from several Team Leaders. Is there something that I'm missing? Can you elaborate on what you were told when you were terminated?

From what you've mentioned, I'm not sure why you were terminated. The Stanley cup/mug (don't know the official name) was on the salesfloor for more than 15 minutes and you mentioned that you received approval from several Team Leaders. Is there something that I'm missing? Can you elaborate on what you were told when you were terminated?
its a high demand item and it was purchased during their scheduled work hours (I dont think taking a break usually counts) those alone makes it a violation of the guidelines

its a high demand item and it was purchased during their scheduled work hours (I dont think taking a break usually counts) those alone makes it a violation of the guidelines
Thanks, I didn't actually remember that was in the handbook. I only remembered the rule that the item had to be on the salesfloor for more than 15 minutes. I'm wondering what the team leaders were thinking when they gave approval to buy the cup or mug. They should know better than to give approval since it's against the rules.

Because op forgot to mention that when he/she went to break the store wasn’t opened . The policy is that you can purchase after store has been opened for 15 minutes and not on the clock , being on break is not on the clock .
However being on break and the store closed and purchasing the cup it’s a violation of the policy .

there was really nothing that I could have done I was called in and i argued my point and my version of the story and it really did seem like I was making good points that she was unaware of because she kept looking up at the other ETL who was in the room but it seemed like they had already made up their mind

How long were you at Target?

If you were there less than six months I wouldn't even bother telling the next employer.

Did you get another job in the meantime?

People get terminated for various reasons all the time.

I would just move on since a year or two down the road it won't matter.

I would try and move on at this point because it seems like the ETLs at your old store don't know the rules. Try applying to another retail store nearby.

Like other posters have mentioned, sometimes life isn't fair but it seems unlikely that your termination would be overturned.

Honestly after reading just the first 2 sentences, no. Find another company. If there's a Costco near you, try that.

I take you at your word that your leaders said it was fine. But honestly, think about it for a second. If you're getting fired over a $45 water cup, is it a job worth keeping? I think not.

Last edited:
Sounds like there was no grounds for termination. problem is you accepted it and now 2 months have past. There is no one to argue with.
I disagree. I definitely would've been more forgiving, but it is a policy in the handbook to purchase hot ticket items a certain amount of time before or after your shift. I just don't think Target is worth it to waste time trying to get your job back. Waste of time, and it would me things awkward with your managers and colleagues if you were given another chance.

Anyone who spends 45 bucks for some stupid ass trendy water cup/coffee cup etc needs some gentle counseling. Grow up. You can get perfectly good cups all sizes at convenience stores such as Scheetz, WaWa, 7-11 among the many.

Is the rule that the item has to be on the sales floor for 15 minutes, or that you have to wait 15 minutes after your shift? I've always thought you can't buy high demand items during your shift.

If I'm wrong about that, you shouldn't have been fired. Unless you hid the cup somewhere on the sales floor, I know that's against policy.

Either way, if there's a question in your head of whether something is allowed and ethical or not, listen to that instinct. My mom wanted a Stanley Cup for Christmas, but I was super cautious. Went to a Target I don't work at on my day off.

Is the rule that the item has to be on the sales floor for 15 minutes, or that you have to wait 15 minutes after your shift?
It’s 15 minutes on the floor after store opening . You don’t have to finish your shift to purchase it . You just have to be off the clock , on break or lunch or after your shift or before you shift .

It’s 15 minutes on the floor after store opening . You don’t have to finish your shift to purchase it . You just have to be off the clock , on break or lunch or after your shift or before you shift .
Pretty sure high demand items are an exception on their own. Just buy them at a store that isn’t your own. They are meant for our guests!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back