Is this happening at your store too?

For the last 4 months my store has promoted 6 tls to be etls, 2 etls to sd, and bring in outsider in as etl. And they also hired lot of new tls as well at least 4 so far. I wonder if this is happening at all target or something is going on at just my store. But we don't have lot or hiring new tms, which is what we actually need in my opinion.
Thank you for your response

We only had one TL go out for ETL training recently. It was very odd because this particular TL was very new and just about the worst we have ever had.
There does seem to be a lot of openings for leadership positions, maybe standards have been lowered to fill the positions.

We only had one TL go out for ETL training recently. It was very odd because this particular TL was very new and just about the worst we have ever had.
There does seem to be a lot of openings for leadership positions, maybe standards have been lowered to fill the positions.
More likely they know somebody and talked the right talk. Just being a good tl rarely gets you noticed enough to get the promotion.

Holy hell that does about cover it!
Do etls and tls get coached? I feel like the sd gets coached by corporate and then it just trickles down the chain to the TM or even TL that actually knows what’s going on and can provide the solution. When we do they don’t listen and just try and slave drive us and demand orders and tell us we are not performing when we really are doing as much as can be done……much like poor Herbert over there.

Do etls and tls get coached?
TLs do get coached and put on paper, sometimes for things that are out of their control. ETLs are not immune either, but it was a rare ETL at my store that couldn’t avoid it by passing blame for any mistakes or failures onto some hapless TL, unless the offense involved the ETLs personal behavior/attendance.

Holy hell that does about cover it!
Do etls and tls get coached? I feel like the sd gets coached by corporate and then it just trickles down the chain to the TM or even TL that actually knows what’s going on and can provide the solution. When we do they don’t listen and just try and slave drive us and demand orders and tell us we are not performing when we really are doing as much as can be done……much like poor Herbert over there.
Yes, they do.

We once had a TL that was coached to the point that she left the company, as she knew days were numbered. The entire store knew why she left, as the paper copies of her coaching were just tossed into the old recycle bins.

Newest TL is outsider with no Target experience. TM s were told in a huddle to help him learn. SD said it too...that he s start ing from
scratch. WHAT tf??
No. I will not help train my new boss making more $$ then me. And no, the blatant gaslighting disrespect ful insulting request...doesn't surprise me. Sadly.
TL that just made ETL is well hated here. Yeah. What's up.

Newest TL is outsider with no Target experience. TM s were told in a huddle to help him learn. SD said it too...that he s start ing from
scratch. WHAT tf??
No. I will not help train my new boss making more $$ then me. And no, the blatant gaslighting disrespect ful insulting request...doesn't surprise me. Sadly.
TL that just made ETL is well hated here. Yeah. What's up.
Huddle?

I haven't been to a huddle in my store since Fall 2019!

Also in my store they never announce a new TL anymore.

They used to put announcements by the time clock but apparently wanted to save printing those two pieces of paper.

Last edited:
Huddle?

I haven't been to a huddle in my store since Fall 2019!

Also in my store they would have never announced a new TL.

They used to put announcements by the time clock but apparently wanted to save printing those two pieces of paper.
High pressure huddle. If a TM does NOT verbally contribute recognition of other TM s during huddle the attending TL will go around the circle by name and everyone waits til you provide recognition of a TM; who's at the huddle or not, then all clap and " it " moves to next person. Oh yeah, announcments of which in house TM was promoted to TL, announce and give out "TM of the Month" plaques....all while ignoring the guests waiting at GS.

For the last 4 months my store has promoted 6 tls to be etls, 2 etls to sd, and bring in outsider in as etl. And they also hired lot of new tls as well at least 4 so far. I wonder if this is happening at all target or something is going on at just my store. But we don't have lot or hiring new tms, which is what we actually need in my opinion.
Thank you for your response
Absolute not the situation at our store. I can't recall our store ever promoting TLs into ETL slots, but as for ETLs about half have migrated from other stores and about have were hired off the street (or off the college recruitment system).

Absolute not the situation at our store. I can't recall our store ever promoting TLs into ETL slots, but as for ETLs about half have migrated from other stores and about have were hired off the street (or off the college recruitment system).
I always thought if you were promoted to an ETL you had to go to another store.

Back