Archived Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do STL's get a fat bonus at the end of the year when their store doesn't go over on payroll? And is that why sometimes hours will be cut (not talking January-March but random times) dramatically? A coworker of mine was telling me that it's true. I just find it weird how only the STL would be compensated. And why they would be in the first place since they're already making over $100k a year.

Do STL's get a fat bonus at the end of the year when their store doesn't go over on payroll? And is that why sometimes hours will be cut (not talking January-March but random times) dramatically? A coworker of mine was telling me that it's true. I just find it weird how only the STL would be compensated. And why they would be in the first place since they're already making over $100k a year.

Mine under allocated in the first place. If for instance the store gets 5000 hours for the month, he'll only dish out 4800. Subtract call ins.

I assure you that every other retailer or restaurant likely does the same.

Etls and up get bonus’s for payroll. Etls and up get a flat rate bonus based off how target is doing as a company with sales and stocks. If the company meets the quota, everyone gets a bonus and it’s the same amount across the board.

I would imagine if they cut hours or under use available hours and then get terrible survey results and miss important sales goals they could be in trouble. Also if they under use 4th Q hr, that could mean the following year they don't get as many hours.

So if they feel they are doing great overall or think they won't be there next year to worry about what happens then they they may cut hour hours for the bonus.

Yeah, I think my store just said "fuck it" after Black Friday and just went crazy on hours. I would be surprised if we underspent this year.

Reactions: Dog
Etls and up get bonus’s for payroll. Etls and up get a flat rate bonus based off how target is doing as a company with sales and stocks. If the company meets the quota, everyone gets a bonus and it’s the same amount across the board.

This is simply not true in any way. No bonuses are based on payroll other than that being an overall metric for store and leadership performance.

There is no flat rate bonus for ETLs or STLs either. Salaried leaders have an Incentive Plan for bonuses that is based on several metrics relating to the individuals review rating and the overall company's EBITA (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes Adjustment) performance relative to company goal.

Confirming what @BleacherSeats said above. I'd love for this rumor to die, but perhaps that's being overly optimistic.

The reason your leadership team is freaking out about payroll is because our leadership team is freaking out about payroll. When your DTL is on the STL conference call saying "I'm going to be very clear: all of you need to make payroll this month", by process of shit rolling downhill, the entire store is going to feel the pressure. And you know why the DTL is being so no-nonsense about payroll? Because if all of their stores don't make it, it's going to be their boss on their ass.

They have to make payroll, have a sales increase, and meet expenses. If they overspend in expenses they got nothing no matter what sales is.

And before the conversation starts, no stls don’t like to hoard payroll. If they are in an area that has blizzards they do bank some to cover their ass if there’s a blizzard. But stls know that the best way to keep a store well stocked and looking good is to spend every hour they get.

Is the reverse also true? If they're allocated 4500, but use 5000, will they get 5000 next year?

If an STL consistantly overspends payroll, they wont be an STL too long.

So, to answer the question.. No.

The exception is if the store earns flex hours. Those can be used in excess of plan hours. But not a guarantee of future same month plan.

Last edited:
You want to hit your payroll hours. Too low and you lose them next month, too much and you get called out for not managing payrolls. Some districts are really anal about overtime too

This is simply not true in any way. No bonuses are based on payroll other than that being an overall metric for store and leadership performance.

There is no flat rate bonus for ETLs or STLs either. Salaried leaders have an Incentive Plan for bonuses that is based on several metrics relating to the individuals review rating and the overall company's EBITA (Earnings Before Interest and Taxes Adjustment) performance relative to company goal.
I mean the payroll thing is a rumor I’ve heard from many etls but okay not true that’s fair but what you explain for the flat rate bonus is the same thing I said with more official verbiage. I’m not an ETL so I was just going off what my ETL told me. What I said about the bonus’s across the board wasn’t wrong just not using official wording.

Golden Contribution is still a thing, but you don't get any bonus from being in or running a GC store.

That being said, as corny as it sounds, it does feel good being a part of that in a "it was a wild ride, but we did it" kind of way.

Last edited:
I mean the payroll thing is a rumor I’ve heard from many etls but okay not true that’s fair but what you explain for the flat rate bonus is the same thing I said with more official verbiage. I’m not an ETL so I was just going off what my ETL told me. What I said about the bonus’s across the board wasn’t wrong just not using official wording.

The metrics he was referring to don't include payroll. When deciding raises, STLs will look at metrics relevant to that ETLs department, e.g. sales, comps, redcards, NPS, etc. Payroll might come into consideration for ETL-HR, but not the other ETLs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back