Archived Item in wrong spot. Guest price challenge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today a guest was buying a blu ray player and it was in the wrong spot it said it was 59.99 but it was actually ringing up as 79.99. I went to see if we had the right one but we didn't she said I had already told her it was that price and didn't want to make it a bigger deal so I just sold it for 59.99. She also got a blue ray movie set totaling 90.00 dollars. Did I mess up? I remember my LOD at one time saying if it's in the wrong spot we have to sell it for that price. So I'm not too sure.

You did the right thing. If it's in the wrong spot, we give it to them, but if it's just one random item that's in the wrong spot, then that's a bit more gray. But if there are several of them there, then we need to honor that price.

The other night we had a guest with an airbed that was $85, and the guest claimed it was in a spot for $40. There was one other one back there. A TL was back in the area, and worked out something with the guest and gave the guest a discount on another airbed instead. But both the cashier and I suspected that the guest moved both of those airbeds to the cheaper location, and they simply weren't going to get away with that.

Make it right for the guest, if it triggers major alarms in your head feel free to ask another team member for help. Those players were stocked wrong at my store - the boxes are nearly identical and easily confused. Also, the $59 is not wireless like the ad leads you to believe. It has wireless capabilities with the purchase of an adapter. The $79 dollar one is also not 3d despite what the ad says.

Its one of the those situations you have to really examine case by case.

If it was one Blu Ray player in a 59.99 spot then I wouldn't. If it was a whole shelf of them or wrong/out-of-date signing, then yes.

I know I have picked up TV season packs think they were on sale but it was the previous season.

I have caught guests picking up items and even entire set and putting them in the wrong price point or clearance endcap, and walk around the next aisle. Either come back around or have a partner pick it up claiming it was the lower price point.

If its above the $20 price challenge, then I made a point to investigate where they picked it up. Ex. I would always examine the shelf and point it out to the guest if I have to.

If there is a strong distinction between the two, say a Magnavox vs Sony item. I would be careful on giving the price.

Last edited:
You did the right thing. Like others have said, if there entire item is misplaced given it to them. If it's just one mixed in or randomly put there it's different. If they're nice about it, and it sounds reasonable I'll go ahead and give it to them. But other time I'll enforce the price that comes up. Either because they're being cooperative, far from reasonable, or some other reson.

Yep... agree you did the right thing. Also, you doing that will trigger a guest challenge report for the ETLs and if they're doing their job right they should check the area and make sure that everything is where it's supposed to be for the next guess but it's a good idea to let the floor team know so they can take care of it sooner if possible. Sometimes we make mistakes on the floor.... just a fact. I've seen the wrong size of shampoo entirely stocked in the spot for the smaller shampoo. We sold it to those who found it that way at the price on the shelf marker then had to relocate everything. ;)

In my case, I just ask the GSTL if we're doing the price change or not.

I had a case with a Lego set, someone claimed it was on clearance. Funnily enough, I had just zoned the Lego aisle and I know there were three of that set on the shelf, and after I did the price check and said it wasn't clearance, she left. Then I went back to the Lego aisle to reshop it, and turns out, there were only two there. Funny little coincidence eh?

Corporate visitors told me that we are now pretty much doing every price change no matter what, no questions asked. Officially, before you could do "what seemed reasonable if the item had been on sale" (I believe is the wording in the cashier training manual), up to $20 (I believe >$10 prompts the GSTL's PDA though). In reiterating this point, my ETL gave an example of changing an $80 item down to $40, no questions asked, so as to earn back guest trust after the breach. Similarly, we're now supposed to take every coupon -- even expired ones -- no questions asked (I assume cases of obvious fraud would still be rejected).

I don't have an email on the topic of changing prices, just a verbal conversation with visitors and my ETL this week so, as always YMMV. In general, it's never good to argue over a dollar or two. But yeah, up to $20 or whatever seems reasonable has been the policy in recent years and now it's pretty much no-questions-asked (I assume though, ridiculous claims -- "I saw this TV for $5" -- would be rejected though as fraudulent).

Tomorrow a guest will come in to buy a PS4. This is how the conversation will go:

Me: Your total is $423.99.
Guest: No! That PS4 is clearly marked as $3.99 so it should be cheaper.
Me: You put the decimal in the wrong spot it's actually $399.
Guest: YOU HAVE TO GIVE IT TO ME! I KNOW YOU HAVE TO BECAUSE YOU PEOPLE TOOK OUR MONEY!

I then proceed to call the LOD who not only gives the guest the PS4 for 99% off but then tells me I should have vibed more with said guest.

Target need to have TMs and TL ALL practice pushing to the right place, getting price accuracy labels up by the pricing team ASAP and NO FLEX, period. And this will not happen as much.

I HATE how that so many stuff is in the wrong places where I work, I seen items for $100 in $30 tags, employees just don't have tools (PDA) when they push, or there are definitely many of those who couldn't careless about doing a good job, but still need the money to work. The people that create the problem the most (Flow) gets the most days, but least hours per day. They work like 6-7 days a week, but only 4-5 hours a day, you think they care to make sure stuff is all pushed to the right place? I doubt it. They mostly have another job after they get off to work 6-8 hours. They are the least considerate about accuracy here at Target.

The store is then cutting hours of pricing, plano... we get behind bad. The price accuracy is Horrible. I often h I am surprised this hasn't became a bigger issue where the ETL & STL is speaking out. Sometimes I wonder if THEY even care.

Probably not, thus lately I am really debating if Target is a smart company for me to be associated with anymore, where it focus on the things that waste time all the time, and not focus on things that actually satisfy customers. :/

Last edited:
Tomorrow a guest will come in to buy a PS4. This is how the conversation will go:

Me: Your total is $423.99.
Guest: No! That PS4 is clearly marked as $3.99 so it should be cheaper.
Me: You put the decimal in the wrong spot it's actually $399.
Guest: YOU HAVE TO GIVE IT TO ME! I KNOW YOU HAVE TO BECAUSE YOU PEOPLE TOOK OUR MONEY!

I then proceed to call the LOD who not only gives the guest the PS4 for 99% off but then tells me I should have vibed more with said guest.

[insert facepalm here]

The people that create the problem the most (Flow) gets the most days, but least hours per day. They work like 6-7 days a week, but only 4-5 hours a day, you think they care to make sure stuff is all pushed to the right place? I doubt it. They mostly have another job after they get off to work 6-8 hours. They are the least considerate about accuracy here at Target.

This makes me sad :(

I guess my battle cry has become "TRAINING!!!!!!"

There is a whole activity guide that has to be read and checked off the Flow Team learning plan called "Resolving Price Accuracy For Our Guests" The whole logistics section is about maintaining zone and alerting someone to price accuracy issues.

As for the logistics schedule, I've been scheduled 17 days in a row before and still didn't hit 40 hours in either of the full weeks.
I recently heard a TL bitching about having to work 6 days in a row. I laughed. She asked why I thought it was funny, said that a job shouldn't expect you to never get time away from work like that, that it's not a healthy work/home balance. I told her that she gets rotating weekends off guaranteed and she needed to watch who she said things like that to. Then I told her the 17 day in a row story. Her response, "I'm a TL, we have more responsibility and more stress to deal with then being *just* a flow TM, I DESERVE my off days."

That "Flow bashing" is obviously a culture in my store, and company wide it seems and it kinda pisses me off.
EVERY WORK CENTER EFFECTS ALL THE OTHER ONES.
If Plano doesn't set something right, Price change fucks up labels, we can't push it right. We don't push it-backroom back stocks challenge-CAFs are huge-sales floor flex zones holes at close, Flow is the team that fixes it in the morning. I'm not saying that we don't fuck shit up. Because God knows we do, but it's not always Flow just not giving a shit about other people, the store, guests, etc.
Over 80% of my team right now is under 6 months. 60% under 90 days. Flow has a ridiculous turn over rate and please believe me when I say that, while it isn't a hard job to do, it is a hard job to excel at.

Why would you give a shit when everything gets blamed on you and nobody has your back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back