Archived "Item Not In Stock?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, one more question and I'm buzzing off ! First day on Sales Floor Training Tomorrow.

This may be a silly question but one concern I was worried about confronting is:

When a guest says the item they are looking for is all gone from the shelf or not present, what should the appropriate response/action should be?

(*) Is it appropriate to say "We must be out of stock?"?

(*) Should we walkie someone to see if the item is in stock?

(*) Or, do we go in the back and look for the stocked item?-

I'm sure these questions will be answered in training. I was just curious ahead of time.

Thanks Guys!

I'd go with the second on, until you're more familiar with the inventory system. It's okay to say "It looks like we're out, but I'm new and not totally familiar with the system yet, so let me get a second opinion" and then walkie someone. You should be with a trainer for most of the shift anyway, and you'll do just fine!

If you have a Walkie, call for a tm in the backroom and give him/her the dpci to see if any are backstocked. If you have a pda, then you can look it up under the stockroom locater function. You can also scan it under Item Search and check to see if other stores have any if they want to try another store

The price checker can help you too, if you don't have a PDA. You use the red phone, hit zero & ask operator for help.

You can do an LOC or Item Search on your PDA, or scan using the floor item scanners. If it states no backroom locations, then your store is out.

Just inform the guest item is currently out of stock, but your store does receive trucks on <whatever days>.

Like everyone else has said, your PDA will be your best friend if you are able to have one on your person for your shift. You can scan the barcode of the item and the PDA will either tell you there are some located in the backroom with x units available, there is a secondary location on the floor for the item, or you can see if another store has the item.

Good luck on your first day!

PDA all the way. Just don't make the mistake I did one time. If you have 1 or 2 left never assume you have it. I pissed a guest off really bad because I made the mistake of telling her we had the item and we actually didn't. Likely was stolen or didn't get damaged out of inventory, or perhaps it was on a magic cart ride around the store... I've since learned never to tell them we have it until I'm holding it in my hands.

PDA all the way. Just don't make the mistake I did one time. If you have 1 or 2 left never assume you have it. I pissed a guest off really bad because I made the mistake of telling her we had the item and we actually didn't. Likely was stolen or didn't get damaged out of inventory, or perhaps it was on a magic cart ride around the store... I've since learned never to tell them we have it until I'm holding it in my hands.

This. Assuming you have something when the on-hand count is low is lethal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back