Archived Just coached for tardy/attendance issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I was coached the other day over attendance/tardy issues. I do have medical issues that are documented and my stl and other etls are aware of them. We did just have severe winter weather where I live. I live an hour from my store. I don't think the road conditions will improve. Will this impact my coaching status if I call out due to weather. Also, how does coaching work when there is subsequent absences. I am on my first coaching for this and I am worried it will escalate. Again, I do have a condition that affects my ability to work.

Did you say something about that condition when they coached you and what was their response?

No, I did not. They have been really understanding, which really blind sided me that it was an issue. My tl just said he got an email to coach me. I am a pretty good employee with the top metric score in my work enter. I stay when they ask me and do all sorts of extra work not in my work enter. I just thought my tl would know the situation. He did say he was aware of "issues". What ever that means.

If you can go to work, you should. If you can't go to work safely, you shouldn't. Most stores I know of do not bother with coaching a due to weather since a lot of people will be calling out. Even with documented issues, you shouldn't make a habit of calling out.

Medical issues are something that the company can work with you to reasonably accommodate for, but that does not mean that the company has to bend over backwards to do whatever they can for you. That would not be reasonable. If you need to miss work every now and again for documented medical issues, then they should be willing to work with you on your schedule. If your medical issues keep you from coming to work as scheduled on a regular basis, then you are not being reasonable by expecting them to work with you on it.

I know nothing of your situation, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but medical issues are not necessarily a protection for poor performance or poor attendance. I recently went through the process of terminating a TM due to a combination of both. Each time we had a conversation about their performance or attendance, the TM would remind me that they are on different medications or are talking to their therapist about things. They had talked to HR out their issues as well. We worked with them for nearly a year with the same issues. It finally came to the point where it didn't matter anymore. Everyone has issues outside of work be they mental, emotional, physical, medical, whatever. Companies should be reasonably accommodating. But when your issues/condition negatively impact your ability to fulfill the demands of your job, even with reasonable accommodations, then either party has every right to terminate employment.

Let me just add, that poor performance due to a medical issue can usually be reasonably accommodated fairly easy. Poor attendance due to a medical issue is a bit harder to reasonably accommodate. If you need medical leave, you are protected under FMLA. If you need certain days off for treatment, that can be done. If you call out fairly often with no rhyme or reason due to a medical issue, then that can not really be reasonably accommodated. Sporadic attendance negatively impacts the business in a manner that is not within the realm of reasonable.

Last edited:
Sorry, I did not reply. I think I am to the point where I see the handwriting on the wall here at Target. I honestly think the best thing for me to do is put in my two weeks, rather than being fired. I don't feel like I am being self-righteous in doing so. I just cannot stand the thought of being fired. This maybe irrational to think so. I know I have only one coaching under my belt, but it just seems inevitable at this point. Just asking do you think I should just ride it out and see the progression through or look into putting my two weeks in? I know it's my decision just looking for input.

One coaching is not a big deal. Think of it as a course correction of sorts. Now if they continue to formally coach you and then bring you in to sign a written corrective action, then you might want to start thinking about putting in your two weeks. Writtens lead to finals more often than not.

So, I came to the conclusion that it would be in my best interest to continue to improve my attendance/tardy issue. I do wonder how my situation will be handled. I missed two days due to snow;then a subsequent two to the flu. I go back tomorrow with my doc statement. Should I ask tem up front how my it will affect my coaching. Is every coaching incidental like three misses in a row equal one miss or is three attendance issues equal three coachings?

It depends on how much they feel like nailing you to the wall, honestly. They won't accept a doctor's note, so you can take it, but they aren't supposed to even look at them any more.

I would say that it is in your best interest to work on this issue...not for the store, but for yourself and future endeavors. I would go in and pull your ETL aside (without waiting for them to come to you) and tell them that you know you have screwed up in the past, but that now you are making it your personal goal to fix this issue. They will respect that.

The rest of the leadership may hold the past issues over your head until they die, but your ETL, if they are any good, should be willing to support you in working towards this change.

Omg. My stl requested a doc's note from a kid who called out thrice in a row, allegedly (rumor mill). That kid either quit or was fired (he didn't wanna stay anyway, because 4 hour shift bs). So this is interesting that they are t supposed to look at doctor's notes.

That is a good suggestion. I have done that and would recommend
It to someone who is calling out and sincere in changing. The thing is I did do that before I figured I had mental health condition, which causes me to go up and down in mood. Some days I am terrified of conversation with little old ladies or even guests that prove to be pleasant. Basically, I feel like I am flinching from people and developing avoidant behavior. That is real hard behavior to correct without meds and therapy which I am in and they are aware of at the store. I figure retail is not best for me with this attitude. I have a masters and can't seem to find anything but service industry jobs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back