Archived Just got back from talking to the ETL-HR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I finally worked up the nerve to go to my old store. I went in this morning to find that only the ETLs I didn't want to talk to were in the building. (ETL-LOG, ETL-AP, and a SrTL) I did find out, however, that the ETL-HR was closing tonight.

I walked in and found her sitting down eating a mini-pizza. (some things never change....) Anyway, I went over to her and she already knew I might be coming in because the SrTL I talked to let her know. She seemed "ok"... not super excited to see me, but not unhappy either.

So I told her things didn't work out at SCEA. She didn't ask for any details and said she was sorry to hear that. I told her I was wanting to come back to Target and that I applied at another store and she told me that was a "mistake". I asked her why, and she told me she knew for a fact that store had actually over hired and wouldn't be hiring anyone. She then told me two other stores that she knew were understaffed. I asked her about our store, and she told me something like "Well, I know the STL offered to hire you back a few months ago and you turned her down after we designed an offer for you. So honestly I don't know if she is going to be ok with that. But I can tell you that we lost a lot of seasoned team members over the past few months, and we wouldn't mind having someone who could walk in the door knowing what was going on."

She then told me again the two other stores she knew was hiring. (which kind of disappointed me, because they are far away and wouldn't be very good for me) I told her that I would prefer to be able to come back to our store. Then she told me that she would be "ok with that", but that the STL was still pissed I turned her down in the past. She told me that she would "view my application" on the system and if it "looked ok" (whatever that meant) she would ask our STLs thoughts. Then she told me she could let the other two stores she mentioned know I was interested if the STL told her no. Then she told me something like "You left according to procedure, so technically there is no reason you can't be rehired. You just need to go through the right store".

So I told her that would be OK if that's what I needed to do. Then she kind of got this weird look on her face and said something like "So you know if I talk to HR at those two stores I am putting my reputation on the line for you right?". I told her yes I knew that. And she asked me "So you aren't going to turn around and quit right if you find a better job?" and I told her no, I definitely wanted to come back because I knew the company and it clearly would be the best option for me. Then she kind of made a sigh and said a long "oohhkkayyyy...." and said "well I will do that for you then. ". (not in a very excited voice though... more like a tired/bored voice) So I told her thanks I really appreciated it. Then before I left she said "Well, they are in desperate need of people with experience so I would suggest you play that up". I told her I would really appreciate it if she would let the other stores know ASAP. Then she said "Uhh well I am planning on it because they need experienced people now, but it is up to them if and when they call you. But I will mention to them you are a former TL." So I thanked her again and walked off.

So basically she was telling me I don't stand a chance in hell of coming back to my old store right? I mean, when she said she would see what the STL thought, there isn't actually a chance of her saying ok is what she was telling me? I am thinking maybe I should call/visit the STL personally and ask her?

I am wondering if she was serious about letting the other stores know about me also. I mean, the fact she sounded completely disinterested/bored is probably a bad sign, right? But if she wasn't really going to let them know, then why give me advice about what to tell them?

I really hope she lets them know because I am really running short on cash.

I think she will let the other stores know if they really were as understaffed as she was making it seem.

If you really want the job at your old store, I think talking to the STL personally would be your best bet.

Don't apply online, next time. I would call the other stores & ask them. Any luck with the job info links?

Don't apply online, next time. I would call the other stores & ask them. Any luck with the job info links?

Job info links are basically worthless..... most of them are for government jobs. 99% of government jobs required a bachelor's degree minimum and years of experience. Assuming I had that to begin with, they do extensive background checks. Me just being in a fight is pretty much going to disqualify me for a government job, even though I wasn't the aggressor. Government jobs require 100% spotless people.

The issue for her is that you've quit once when you thought something better came along. So, what's changed that would keep you from leaving again since the only reason you are coming back is because you "have" to? I ouln't be excited to call the other stores either and would probably say, "he was a TL and good (if I felt that way) but he left once for something else, so I can't vouch for if he will stick around."

We are telling people we are pretty well set through February at the earliest. So it's a rough time all around. Good luck.

The issue for her is that you've quit once when you thought something better came along. So, what's changed that would keep you from leaving again since the only reason you are coming back is because you "have" to? I ouln't be excited to call the other stores either and would probably say, "he was a TL and good (if I felt that way) but he left once for something else, so I can't vouch for if he will stick around."

We are telling people we are pretty well set through February at the earliest. So it's a rough time all around. Good luck.

Like you said - it's a rough time all around. That should be guarantee number one I will stick around simply because there is very little out there and that is unlikely to change.

I was with the company years before I left.... and I actually left very hesitantly. I almost decided not to leave at all. It wasn't like I was running around the store telling everyone "Man, I just can't wait to quit and get another job!" Basically the job came out of left field.... wouldn't have even known about it if I wasn't told about it. I wasn't actively trying to find a new job.

I love it how people with 4 year degrees talk to people without degrees like we have all of these options lol. "How do I know you won't leave for another job?" Makes me think "Uhhh.... what exactly do you think I qualify for without a 4 year degree these days when damn near every job requires it? Or do you think employers are falling over themselves trying to people?"

I remember reading your reluctance up to your last day.
You weighed the pros & cons, made your choice & left leaving the door open. Your STL was ticked because you weren't falling for the carrot on a stick she'd dangled before you.
If they don't take you back at your old store, see if you can get in to one of the other stores & show them what an asset you are. Make your former STL kick herself again for not taking you back. It may not be the ideal location at first but it's a start.

HR was obviously leading you on, telling you that your STL won't take you back and you should look elsewhere.

Here is a copy the link I am referring to. They offer training, brush up on interviews or resumes, etc. it's called workforce.

here are some great links done by the us dept of labor for employment & training:
http://www.doleta.gov/usworkforce/wia/act.cfm

it has several links for training & jobs offers for the federal, state, local governments & private sectors. they offer several tyoes of assistance programs: for ex: job loss, training, career opps, find a job, & self assessment of yourself(help you find that career).
http://www.doleta.gov/jobseekers/

It is all paid for by your taxpayer dollars.

HR was obviously leading you on, telling you that your STL won't take you back and you should look elsewhere.

Yes, much like the "Well we'll give you a call and let you know if your qualifications match our needs." speech thats given after a botched interview. I also can't see how any stores are even hiring right now, when hours are going to be cut and the seasonal fat trimmed. You will likely not get a full time position either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back