Archived Keep it fast and friendly forget fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight after work our STL said okay guys I am not sure if everyone heard but we will no longer be having fun events. We want to keep it strictly brand from here on out....The last fun event will be the food drive for all the cans collected and the pizza party but no more fun events after that. Every year we had huge BBQ and cookouts in the summer, pancake breakfasts, etc.... We have had the same STL forever but something changed today was the today no more fun events no more nothing...... Everyone liked fun events it made people happy but now it's like sheesh hrs down, fun events cancelled team morale ( it was sinking) but now it will be going down!

Fun events are great when one has a motivated staff with good morale. Cutting hours promotes neither of these, and a pizza party or taco day rarely raises poor morale.

But rhat's what happens when the staff is sacrificed for a quarterly bonus. Hours go down, workloads go up, and fun events look like celebrating Target's great deal in squeezing 2-3 hours of labor out of every single hour you work.

Talan did a thread back in January about how they had cut all the stores budgets for store morale by, I think, 40% which would pretty much kill any events.
Make for some nice bonuses though.

We have fun events from time to time, but it is usually tied to something- hitting a certain basket size for the week, not going into compliance for x amount of time. Or they get creative with it. For the United Way campaign to raise more money they are having a "money war" with jars that we can put money in to have our ETLs do something funny in the store. Or washing TMs cars if you donate. Not a whole lot of cost involved, but a good way to get all the TMs to laugh for sure.

I found out it wasn't the STL's idea to cancel all fun events the STL loves fun events! However the STL wants to make the new DTL happy and keep things brand so good-bye fun events. All good things must come to a end as they say or maybe the DTL will go away in a few months or a year lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back