Archived Leading Productive Huddles - Ones That Do Not Suck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I have a question regarding Leading Huddles--specifically, what have you seen at Huddles that have helped them actually be fun/productive, as opposed to boring and/or wastes of time?

Too many huddles are just packed with information, semi-passable attempts to 'recognize' few TMs, and most TMs at my store have come to dislike attending. I'd like to start leading huddles that bring our team together and help improve morale at my store.

Things I've seen done (mainly at nighttime huddles) have been fun games (split attendees into teams and shoot those big inflatable balls into carts, with the winning team's top scorer getting a Target Dog plush, for example), and/or general attempts to actually bring-in TM involvement.

Any suggestions for similar games, and/or other things that you've seen done at your stores that have helped with the above?

Well when my store has games at huddle, I prefer that they ask for volunteers to participate. As someone with severe social anxiety, I get very uncomfortable when I'm in the spotlight and would not at all be happy if I had to join in.

*checks time* ah sorry, looks like I need to clock out for lunch.

Samples from sbux go well. I think it would be great to have people talk about an interesting new item or highlight a great deal that week in the area for 4x4. I know I was constantly talking up and the meat coupon product or tpc in produce that day...or mentioning we now have gluten free pasta, etc.

We barely started doing huddles again. My ETL HR loves them. We're pretty basic with just going in a circle, asking everyone to "share" something from their department.

I've only been to one huddle. All they did was say who's in what department, ask if there's anyone we wanna acknowledge, and AP said a few things and we were off. It...wasn't that bad? Are they usually worse

We have work to do. I get there at 6am and am handed work, a POG or POGs, that total hours from 8 to whatever. Huddle plus smart huddle/4x4, backups on registers, sometimes pulling our own stuff, etc.

We don't have time to play games or worry if huddles are fun. If you want to recognize my hard work, money talks.

We have work to do. I get there at 6am and am handed work, a POG or POGs, that total hours from 8 to whatever. Huddle plus smart huddle/4x4, backups on registers, sometimes pulling our own stuff, etc.

We don't have time to play games or worry if huddles are fun. If you want to recognize my hard work, money talks.
Thats not how leadership is scored and held accountable for huddles.

We normally have the opening LOD go over numbers (sales, redcards, vibe, aar), where 4x4 will be and any special tasks that need to split off and any special topics (safety focus, flu shots, etc), then everyone is expected to say something even if its just "hi". TLOD covers the backup schedule when it gets to them. PPTL says where pog/pricing is for the day, I tell people where I might be found/if I'm out earlier than they expect, the other TLs might recognize tms and say what they are working on, we stretch out, then do the "work safe" alligator clap and hit 4x4.

Mostly the huddles that aren't super painful are led by people who want to be there and are genuinely excited/engaged. Some days you can tell the etl-ge is just spouting target jargon and doesn't think she should have to talk this much, her enthusiasm that "we can do this" for redcard goal is flat and it is hard to listen to.

Food. A former TL would requisition cookies or some other little snack for us. And as @signingminion suggested, Starbucks samples are a good idea too. Our morning huddles are often at Starbucks, and occasionally the opener whips up a little something to pass around.

If only there was a post of the year award. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back