Transferring a TL to department that didn't have one before.

Does a store have to post any NEWLY CREATED TL positions before filling them?

Our store transferred a TL from one department to another for an opening that no one even knew existed.

Needless to say another TL is upset because no one knew about said opening.

The odd thing is that newly created TL opening is in a VERY SMALL department so I don't know why one is needed.

Thoughts?

From what I can gather over the last month (from mostly the Facebook groups), many TLs were moved departments and positions whether they liked it or not.

With the restructure, TL headcount might've stayed the same for your store while TL positions were created/eliminated. This might've been the only option for that TL other than having to transfer to a new store (if an opening existed in one local) or choosing to resign.

IMO, giving them a choice would've been the respectful way to go about it, or even announcing someone had to move there and if no one volunteered the SD would have to choose someone. :confused:

TL;DR - No. If their TL headcount didn't increase they do not have to list the position.

Our store didn't add another TL just eliminated one position and created a new one.

TL #1 is now in charge of that very small department.

TL #2 took over TL #1 former department as their former department is gone.

Finally the TL #3 (the upset one) and TL#4 (maybe?) are splitting up TL#2 former departments workload.

I expect the one of those two TLs to quit soon because of that.

We had an ETL quit several years ago because they wanted to add to their work load significantly.

Idiots.

I don’t see the issue. Feelings are hurt. But that’s retail. They move people around, they don’t have to post an area is open because they aren’t promoting anyone. And the leads have no say in what area they get. It’s up to the sd and etl. They can put you anywhere.
True but I think the whole issue is the upset TL had no idea that TL opening for that tiny department even existed.

In a related matter at Target if a TM wants to move up a TL you have no idea what store and/or department.

I guess I come from the perspective you could never hire someone externally that way.

I guess I come from the perspective you could never hire someone externally that way.

Actually that's almost exactly what Target did when they introduced the VM role- they hired almost exclusively external hires because they wanted fresh perspectives & talent and those people had no clue what store they would be at. And at the stores, it came as a surprise when we were told we were getting VMs because we were never told there was an opening. I was pissed because I would have interviewed for the role if I had known it was available.

Actually that's almost exactly what Target did when they introduced the VM role- they hired almost exclusively external hires because they wanted fresh perspectives & talent and those people had no clue what store they would be at. And at the stores, it came as a surprise when we were told we were getting VMs because we were never told there was an opening. I was pissed because I would have interviewed for the role if I had known it was available.
Our first vm was a style team member from our store . Then went on to become to and then Etl in the store .
My former Sd liked to keep everything “in house” . Every position that was opening was replace and promoted within the store . Much like me I was promoted to Etl, we moved one of the off-site tl to take my place , we promoted a tm from market to take the offsite Tl position . After I was sent for 2 weeks EIt I was brought back to my store as Etl 😂

Failing to interview current employees already in the store for new positions is just lazy.

You would think just for optics you would do this even if you already decided on whom gets that job.

True but I think the whole issue is the upset TL had no idea that TL opening for that tiny department even existed.

In a related matter at Target if a TM wants to move up a TL you have no idea what store and/or department.

That’s not an issue. That’s the sd strategically moving tls around to fill a need or put someone in an area that needs attention, etc.
the area didn’t need posted and clearly the sd didn’t have the mad tl in mind for that area. Tough luck.

The tls are already tls. There’s no need for an interview process. When you take a tl position you are expected to work where they put you. You have no say. Th ey can move tls around however they want without asking or talking to anyone first. They’re running a business.

Last edited:
That’s not an issue. That’s the sd strategically moving tls around to fill a need or put someone in an area that needs attention, etc.
the area didn’t need posted and clearly the sd didn’t have the mad tl in mind for that area. Tough luck.

The tls are already tls. There’s no need for an interview process. When you take a tl position you are expected to work where they put you. You have no say. Th ey can move tls around however they want without asking or talking to anyone first. They’re running a business.
Valid points but they also take a chance of losing an experienced TL in the process.

Last edited:
We are all replaceable in the sense that Target can kick any of us to the curb and have another sucker person take over the position in a matter of minutes, if not seconds, especially if someone’s pet is the ”lucky“ recipient. Whether or not that replacement can do the job to the standard that a person trained and experienced in that area could is another matter, but judging by my store Spot doesn’t seem to give AF about that, which is one of the reasons things are going the way they are.

You said they were upset because no one knew about the opening? 🤷‍♂️
What I meant to state it was they were upset about the opening then even more upset about the increased work load.

Essentially our store eliminated a TL position then redistributed that work to the other TLs.

However the head count of TLs remained the same.

What I meant to state it was they were upset about the opening then even more upset about the increased work load.

Essentially our store eliminated a TL position then redistributed that work to the other TLs.

However the head count of TLs remained the same.
Eh, my department is taking on more responsibility because other departments can't find good people to do what they need. We're not getting more TL's to oversee the new responsibilities. (We are getting hours to staff the new responsibilities from those departments)

Our TL's look at it as a way to take on the new work and shine where others couldn't. Would look great on their annual reviews I bet.

Some people are just built differently.

Like I said before, probably not a huge loss.

(We are getting hours to staff the new responsibilities from those departments)

I wonder whether that is what they will do at my store because I haven't heard that yet.

Would look great on their annual reviews I bet.

Does looking great equal to a better raise though?

If they're expected to take on more work load that requires hours to support it (depends on what it is), then they should get the added hours to support. If not, upper management shouldn't be surprised if/when it fails.

(We are getting hours to staff the new responsibilities from those departments)

I wonder whether that is what they will do at my store because I haven't heard that yet.

Would look great on their annual reviews I bet.

Does looking great equal to a better raise though?
Since you added the 2nd part after.

Yes, that's generally how it works. I do what my job requires and go out of the way to do more if needed & get a maximum raise every year.

Would a TL taking on extra work and excelling get a better raise than someone mad that they had extra work? Probably.

Would they be looked at favorably for an ETL opening with a commensurate raise? Probably.

ASANTS though. This would be how it works at mine.

Did the upset TL let it be known he wanted to move or try out another department BEFORE this happened or was your store supposed to read their mind? This happens all the time with TM's trying to be to TL's and TM's and TL's trying to move departments. 1st step is to communicate and let it be known, that way when these yearly moves happen you can be in the conversation instead of totally out of it.

To answer your question, no, but what also happens frequently is Target and a lot of retail stores (or anywhere I guess) would post leadership position openings even if they are strongly considering someone internally or even externally already. They are doing their due diligence in finding the best possible candidate internally or externally. I experienced this when being interviewed for a manager position at another retail store, and they told me they already had TWO candidates internally in mind but still wanted to see what was out there.

Did the upset TL let it be known he wanted to move or try out another department BEFORE this happened

It would have been a little hard for the TL show interest in a DIFFERENT TL position if they weren't aware it even existed yet.

They are doing their due diligence in finding the best possible candidate internally or externally.

I seriously doubt our store did that since they basically just rearranged the type of TLs positions around and gave some more work and some less.

The TL head count never changed even though it was a totally new position.

Like I mentioned I find it odd that our store created a TL position in a a department that oversees MAYBE three employees.

Failing to interview current employees already in the store for new positions is just lazy.

You would think just for optics you would do this even if you already decided on whom gets that job.
It’s not a “new position”. Changing up what depts tls oversee is not creating a new position.

It’s not a “new position”. Changing up what depts tls oversee is not creating a new position.
I consider it a "new position" because that tiny department didn't have a TL at all before.

However if you look that a the fact the TL head count wasn't changed that WOULD NOT make it "new".

🤔

Back