How long does a TL have to stay in their department before reassignment.

This situation is more than a little confusing.

An external hire TL was brought in to cover another TL on medical leave.

In the meantime another TL was terminated and that external hire TL was then reassigned to that job after the medical leave TL came back.

Finally the TL on medical leave came back then quit.

This literally happened over a five month period.

How long would the external TL have to stay in the job they were recently assigned?

I changed my tl position 5 times in my first year due to all of those reasons. Had a tl leave on medical loa, then another got fired, then one quit, then another medical leave. I was chosen since I had been with Target for so long and knew the areas.

To answer your original question, leadership roles and field/HQ roles have an 18 month period before you're eligible for second assignment (ex. GMTL to FBTL, etc.) or promotion. This can be overridden by leadership though and isn't strictly tracked in the system. Many circumstances can occur where TLs lateral to a different role before 18mo.

This situation is more than a little confusing.

An external hire TL was brought in to cover another TL on medical leave.

In the meantime another TL was terminated and that external hire TL was then reassigned to that job after the medical leave TL came back.

Finally the TL on medical leave came back then quit.

This literally happened over a five month period.

How long would the external TL have to stay in the job they were recently assigned?
There’s no set time. But to be considered an “expert” in that area it was 18 months. Stores are so desperate for leadership they arent consistently following the 18 month rule.

But that’s typically moving from a gm role to a style role for example. Its not the same just moving from hba to housewares.

Back