Archived Leaving early to take care of family members?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bananaman

Potassium Rules
Does anyone know of what Target's stance is on taking care of elderly family members?

My 65 year old mother is currently on kidney dialysis for three days a week, Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. She relies on family to drive her to her dialysis. The family member who used to take her on Saturday can no longer bring her back, so the responsibility falls to me. When I asked my ETL if I could leave an hour early so that I can get my mom from dialysis, she flat out refused saying she needs everyone on the schedule to work their shift. When I tried to explain my situation, she told me that we had to change our lifestyle. She will not budge.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable, and I think I remember Target once talking up how proud they were of their work-life balance.

I fully believe she'll fire me if I leave early, but I am not putting my mother's health at risk. Anyone have any advice outside of start looking for a new job?

Are you eligible for FMLA. 1250 hours and employment for at least 12 months?
If not it probably depends on the laws from the stat you are in. Talk to the HR ETL .

Change your availability. If it's denied tell them you won't be coming in for those shifts. Don't let target run your life. There is no reason cutting an hour from two weekday shifts should be a problem. The Saturday they can say that is business needs but she is just being unreasonable.

Change your lifestyles? WTF! So don't do dialysis? ??

Check out FMLA as suggested. Target not letting you have off for an hour, what a media disaster that would be for Spot! Just talk to your ETL-HR or STL. Still get resistance, let them know you will go to the media.

If you qualify for FMLA here is what you need to do:

Get the paperwork and have your mothers doctors sign the paperwork stating you are here care taker. You can ask for an intermediate leave. This means if you need to leave early one day because your mom is sick or needs transportation they cannot count that against you on attendance.

If you don't qualify, you will need to talk to your ETL, I would do it in private, heck turn on the water works. Explain the situation and see what they say. Go to your STL if need be.

Your ETL is garbage. My ETL allows me to change my shifts around to take care of a couple of family members. Sometimes I have to do things I don't like -- like stay late another day or come in earlier, but it all evens out in the wash, or I try to make it so. You're in a bad situation and I feel for you. I hope you're able to work something out.

Cashiers seem to have it the worst with changing their schedule. I'm lucky my TL trusts my judgement and I can leave early one day and stay late the next.. as long as it gets done on time everything is golden

I teach in the evenings. Every 12 weeks, my teaching schedule changes so I have to change my availability. It's never been a problem to change my availability. I usually have one week in between classes so I take that off to go visit my elderly Dad several states away. Nobody's ever challenged that either. It sounds like I'm lucky. Also, our store can never keep people so they're desperate to keep on TMs. If there ever comes a time when HR isn't as accommodating, I guess that'll be the day I have to leave. I get as much money teaching two nights a week than working 35 hour weeks so the choice is a no-brainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back