Archived Likelihood of Getting Time Off?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a new seasonal hire and during the interview I was asked if I was going to take any vacations. I said no because I'm not. Then the other day I remembered that I had signed up and paid for some things in the month of December, so I went through ehr and requested time off. It's still pending, but I'm just wondering what you guys think the likelihood of me getting the days off will be? I just need a Friday and two Saturdays off and they're weeks apart. And I asked if I could work M-Th in exchange to have those days off. That way I could be on the sales floor for them, and get the hours in for me. What do you guys think will happen? I know that it's bad to ask off before your 90 days is up, but if I don't get the time off I'm out a good 200+ bucks.

Request them ASAP in eHR. I had the same issues when I was hired, no vacations but I needed some random days off for school stuff. By "vacations" they mean like, 3+ days in a row off.

Request them ASAP in eHR. I had the same issues when I was hired, no vacations but I needed some random days off for school stuff. By "vacations" they mean like, 3+ days in a row off.

I filled out whatever I needed to in ehr (I forgot what it's specifically called) as soon as I remembered it. Then today I talked to HR and they seemed kind of upset about it and made it sound like it was my fault. I kind of feel cheated (for lack of a better word) because it's not a vacation, it's just a few days spread out. And, I mean, what happens when something comes up? Like you said with school. They were telling me that I can't change my availability, and that's not what I want to do. I just need a Friday and Saturday off. Not every Friday and Saturday off. Kind of frustrating ya know?

I never understood Target's laziness in adjusting the schedule or allowing TMs to take off without punishment. Yes, it can be a pain but also it's not much work to adjust the schedule to help out a TM. I spent a lot of time adjusting the schedule when TMs had last minute or even future plans. I just understood better than most that things happen or people have lives.

A lot of ETLs at my store would give them the time off but not give them hours throughout the week. I figured you'd just call out so why schedule you for those days?

Are stores willing to work with you on out of the ordinary schedules or is it not worth the hassle? I'd like to stay on after the holidays (I was told lots of people are kept on at this store), but while I'll have standard availability, I'm going to have a lot of "don't schedule me" days like BlueBeauty.

My availability is 7pm to close during the week and all day on weekends. I picked 7pm so my husband could watch the kids when I'm gone. Most weekends will be fine, but my husband travels for work and if he's out of town, I can't work (my childcare costs more than my Target salary). His trips follow no pattern, but he takes probably one to three trips a month. Usually they are one to three overnights (occasionally longer). So, I might not be available Tuesday/Wednesday one week and Thursday three weeks down the road. Something like that.

I'd be fine with one day a week if that's what it came to, but I wouldn't want to make anyone's life horribly difficult or have other co-workers resent my schedule.

The OP's problem is that they were likely hired as seasonal, and the time we need the most help during this time is Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. So it's a bit of a kick in the teeth to hire someone planning on them covering many of those days and then all of a sudden they can't work, when they might have been able to hire someone who could fill the need.

Yeah I understand, and I do feel bad. But these things I absolutely can't get out of because I paid so much money for it. I'm really upset that they didn't talk to me about it, which I figured they would. I found out yesterday it was denied, so I'm going to try to hunt them down and explain. But I so would have mentioned the dates in the interview. It's just that he asked if I was taking a vacation and I'm not, so when he said vacation, my mind didn't even think about those dates since I'm still going to be in town.

Yeah I understand, and I do feel bad. But these things I absolutely can't get out of because I paid so much money for it. I'm really upset that they didn't talk to me about it, which I figured they would. I found out yesterday it was denied, so I'm going to try to hunt them down and explain. But I so would have mentioned the dates in the interview. It's just that he asked if I was taking a vacation and I'm not, so when he said vacation, my mind didn't even think about those dates since I'm still going to be in town.
You need to talk to your E/TL first before you put in time off requests. It is possible they were denied outright if you didn't do that.

You need to talk to your E/TL first before you put in time off requests. It is possible they were denied outright if you didn't do that.

Yeah I'm going to try to find him on Saturday. It's going to be kind of hard though because I don't work the next two days, and Saturdays are busy and I don't want to bug him lol

What are the days in December that you need off? It's it's around the first 2 weeks, I wouldn't say it's a big deal. If it's the week of Christmas, they definitely won't.

What are the days in December that you need off? It's it's around the first 2 weeks, I wouldn't say it's a big deal. If it's the week of Christmas, they definitely won't.

I need the fifth and the sixth of December, and then December 20. If I don't get the 20 I'm going to try to switch with someone.

Last edited:
The saturday before Christmas? So there's not only high sales but also Ad Takedown? You probably won't get it off.

The schedule for the 5th and 6th came out today. That request needed to be in and approved by this past Sunday. So now you're at the mercy of whatever you were scheduled and the swap shift board.

The schedule for the 5th and 6th came out today. That request needed to be in and approved by this past Sunday. So now you're at the mercy of whatever you were scheduled and the swap shift board.

I already put it in and they already denied it. But they haven't posted the schedule at my store yet, so I have to wait to try to switch. I'm just gonna have to do the best with what I get.

Does the schedule get updated online automatically? I don't work for the next two days and when I look up my schedule online it doesn't have it for the first week of December.

The online schedule doesn't show up until the following Sunday. Once it's available, it shows whatever HR and leaders have entered into the schedule at that moment, which may not always match the posted paper schedule.

The online schedule doesn't show up until the following Sunday. Once it's available, it shows whatever HR and leaders have entered into the schedule at that moment, which may not always match the posted paper schedule.

Okay, thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back