Archived Looking for information regarding a job at a distribution center

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking about applying at my local distribution center. I am not sure if you have to have prior experience to land the job. Is there anything that I should be aware of prior to putting my name in? Do you have to know how to run a forklift? If I've read correctly they do some sort of physical test or something. What is the usually day at the distribution center? What type of work will I be expected to do? Also what are the usually hours? I live in New York, if that matters.

Thank you in advance for your feedback.

Lots to cover...anywho, we get a lot of kids straight out of high school, so no experience necessary, and any equipment training needed is done on-site. The assessment is for Outbound and Inbound dept's only, but if you can make it up several flights of stairs w/o passing out, you should be fine.

I really can't outline a general day without more specifics, cause the daily routines differ for each dept. and which key (Target-ese for shift) you work.

There are five keys:
  • A1: 0600-1800 Sat, Sun, Mon
  • A2: 1800-0600 Sat, Sun, Mon
  • B1: 0600-1600 Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri
  • B2: 1600-0200 Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri
  • B3: 2100-0700 (I think?) Tue, Wed, Thur, Fri
Most start A2, then move around to the other keys as openings arise. Generally speaking, B1 is the most envied key. B3 is for FacOps (our maintenance dept.) only

As to what you will do, that varies for each dept. There are several roles within each dept, but to start new hires on, Outbound has guys loading trailer, Inbound will have you working ART (where you unload trailers and prepare pallets and carts of freight to be stored), MBP and Warehouse will have you picking cartons in an order picker, and Packing will have you cutting open cartons and putting sale units in a repack box to be shipped to the store.

And can't say much about NY other than if it's Wilton, congrats on being so close to the ADK's, and if it's Amsterdam, I'm sorry (town has an unsavory reputation as 'AmsteRICO')

You don't need to know much, just know that you'll need some coffee and a full night's rest for your first few weeks until you get used to it.

Thanks you dabeastfromtheeast, Hardlinesmaster and Kezz for the response and the information. I just wanted to get some kind of idea about what it's like. They currently don't have any opening as of right now. I am planning on sending a letter of interest to the hiring manager. I will first go to the distribution center to get the proper name so I can address the letter personally rather than "To Whom It May Concern". Does this sound like a good idea? I currently have a job so I have a paycheck coming in.

Thanks you dabeastfromtheeast, Hardlinesmaster and Kezz for the response and the information. I just wanted to get some kind of idea about what it's like. They currently don't have any opening as of right now. I am planning on sending a letter of interest to the hiring manager. I will first go to the distribution center to get the proper name so I can address the letter personally rather than "To Whom It May Concern". Does this sound like a good idea? I currently have a job so I have a paycheck coming in.

Honestly if it works anything like my DC, if you show up and look like a clean decent human being then they'll probably hire you even if it says they're not hiring.

Do you want an honest opinion?

You need no job knowledge prior to starting. Absolutely none. That being said, you need common sense about you for any of the positions. If you want to have this as your career, and you are willing to learn, just pay attention and take notes. Ask questions, make mistakes, and get yelled at by your peers. This is the only way that you will learn.

No matter where you work, you will have "cliques" - and this corporation's warehouse is no different. Know what you can say around who. Learn your boundaries early.

The work is as hard as you are willing to make it. The conditions are hot, and sometimes just downright terrible. But then you realize that you are making as much or more than most people with a general college degree. Do yourself a favor, and don't go above and beyond and try to outperform everyone.

Don't complain, get over yourself, and get to work.

I see plenty people quit and up and leave because the work is too hard for them, and they do nothing but complain.

Short and sweet:
Days are long. Temperature is hot. Work can be monotonous, and cumbersome. Pace yourself. Work with an initiative, or don't even show up. Your boss tells you to do something, do it.

Thanks Kezz and jtd for the replies.

There is a position post as a seasonal packer. Should I apply? How long does a seasonal position last for? I don't want to give up my full-time job just for a seasonal one if I won't get eventually hired on as an employee. Any suggestions or info? Thanks

A few to several months. Really depends how busy there are, and if they need the extra body.

If you get offered a shift that would not conflict with your current job, then go for it if you want the extra money. If you want to get hired on, there are always opportunities. But it is not guaranteed.

Is there any difference between a seasonal warehouse worker and a seasonal packer?

Packer only does packing. 'Warehouse worker' is a catch-all for all other productive functions (Outbound, Inbound, Warehouse and MBP). Warehouse worker pays more.
Thanks dabeastfromtheeast for your reply. I will fill out the application for the seasonal and hope for the best. I spoke to the HR rep. from the DC I'm going to apply at. She stated that the seasonal is approx. 170 days and sometimes they will offer you a permanent position. I'm going to dive in and hope i get a position that is more stable.

Thanks dabeastfromtheeast for your reply. I will fill out the application for the seasonal and hope for the best. I spoke to the HR rep. from the DC I'm going to apply at. She stated that the seasonal is approx. 170 days and sometimes they will offer you a permanent position. I'm going to dive in and hope i get a position that is more stable.

If they're hiring right now then it's highly unlikely you will be let go before the end of the year. Because of how insane it gets during "fall season" there's pretty much no way they'll only bring you in for 170 days. I'd say as long as you work hard you'll be around at least unti the end of the year. If you're exceptional then they'll almost always hire you on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back