Archived Looks like SPOT updated it's anti-union video.

• Thread starter bab5crusade
  • Start date
  • Replies 65
  • Views 6K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Respect for our TMs?
Dealing fairly with people?
Openly and honestly, they use that one a lot.
I don't think that means what they think it does.

Unions are businesses?
That is such bullshit and the worst kind of twisting of reality.
They really lied about how the departments change and cross-training.

We don't know how our stores would change.
A living wage? People getting representation when dealing with the bosses? Better insurance?

They say not one group of TMs decided they needed a union.
Except of course the one store they shut down, fired all the employees who voted for the union and broke federal laws to keep them from unionizing again.

You have the right to rat out anyone who talks to you about unions. (gotta love that one).

That is far worse than the old one.

This is absolute bullshit. I had to stop watching that half way through so I didn't projectile vomit all over my computer.

It's funny how the video still makes a lot of sense if you substitute "union dues" with "Red Card APR interest rates" or "low-paid employees."

One thing that really pisses me off is the whole idea that everyone can easily get more hours if they want to: all they have to do is cross train! I'm been actively trying to cross train for months now, and all I get is lines like "Oh, ok, we'll set you up on a training schedule soon" or "I'll let so-and-so know that you're interested in cross-training." And then nothing happens. When I got hired, I requested 40 hours a week, and I was told "We can't guarantee that, but we'll try." Well, except for the holiday season, I get scheduled for 11-16 hours a week. And that's with full availability. If that doesn't suck a bag of dicks, then I don't know what does.

This is absolute bullshit. I had to stop watching that half way through so I didn't projectile vomit all over my computer.

It's funny how the video still makes a lot of sense if you substitute "union dues" with "Red Card APR interest rates" or "low-paid employees."

One thing that really pisses me off is the whole idea that everyone can easily get more hours if they want to: all they have to do is cross train! I'm been actively trying to cross train for months now, and all I get is lines like "Oh, ok, we'll set you up on a training schedule soon" or "I'll let so-and-so know that you're interested in cross-training." And then nothing happens. When I got hired, I requested 40 hours a week, and I was told "We can't guarantee that, but we'll try." Well, except for the holiday season, I get scheduled for 11-16 hours a week. And that's with full availability. If that doesn't suck a bag of dicks, then I don't know what does.

People can be cross train all they want, but there is no guaranteed of extra hours. Right now I am getting cross trained in cash office. Do I expect extra hours? Nope, but it worth the experience and able to back up if they need a cash office person.

Can I get a One Spot like that? Oh my god.

The backroom though. Where the hell is all the CAF pushes? More importantly, where are the 20 carts of clearance?

My ETL-HR is extremely lazy when it comes to setting up cross training.

Nobody has lockers that look that nice. I'd say about 40% of the ones at my store are broken.

Oh, joining a union would cause annoyance to leaders? Why is this a bad thing?

No electronics camera boat looks like that. Where are all the sale signs?

Last edited:
Hey! That's not an accurate video, one spot is not all messed up to hell!

Anyways, I thoroughly enjoyed the part where they talked about how unions could tell guests not to shop at Target. *Costumers* already don't want to shop at Target because they invested jack squat in their security and lost 110M card numbers to hackers. Also, they don't enjoy being pestered about signing up for a red card just 3 months shy of the huge credit breach.

Here's the video they should be playing.
That bullshit about how there are laws that stop this happening didn't stop the Imperial, BP, the West Fertilizer, companies.

There's not a single Out in that video! (Except where it shows them stocking it). I'd assume it's a new store that is just about to open, with a bunch of actors as guests. And it's probably not to POG 100%

Can't we just ask them if we can skip the video and they can just say that we watched their silly video? I mean it's probably going to happen when I am pulling 10 pallets of price change and I will get called to the front to watch it. I'd honestly rather just pass on it. I don't think anyone will die if they say I watched it without me actually watching it.

If we're forced to watch it at work I'll probably be put on a watch-list of union sympathizers from the amount of eye-rolling I'll be doing, lol. I've worked for unions before and while they're not perfect they do their job right more often than not and I know how much worse working conditions would have been without the unions breathing down my former boss' necks.

I think that people should be given the option of being in a union and all unions should be privately funded. Not sayin unions are perfect but people should be allowed to have a choice. Having that choice taken away from you is just wrong.

Before I left the last time I had to sit through that video the people in the room who had never even considered a union now thought it was a good idea. Once again Target is its own worst enemy. The fact the video does not reflect the current reality in stores ruins any credibility on anything else the video shows. Thus people assume Target is lying and that if they are against unions then they must be good.

Unionize all you want - it won't get you anything the corporation doesn't want you to have. The union can demand, the company says no, and the employees walk. They then get paid little to nothing (probably the latter) while Target can go out and hire new employees who are NOT union to do the job. It doesn't take a lot of training to push a product onto a shelf. Setting a POG? Not that hard. Backroom? Basics are very easy.

Unions can't get what the company is not willing to give - that's the bottom line. Retail employees (normal on the floor folk) are a dime a dozen. Sorry, but it's true.

Another card I'll throw in the ring: I'm a government employee represented by a union, although we are not required to join. They are required to represent us regardless. Yes, they are ALWAYS pestering us to join with lures of these great benefits - which many of us get anyway without being union members just through the government.

Recently, the union threw a shift bid into a tailspin. This is a simple thing that we do on a routine basis - yet the union stepped in and stopped it. This is done more than once a year, and everybody knows that bids will be offered in order of seniority. It's always been that way - as things often are in unions. Why are they upset? Why did they object? Nobody in the union will say. So everybody is in a holding pattern for reasons we won't be told. Yea, the union sure is great.

I can count on one hand the areas I'm NOT trained in.
I'm as global as a world map but I STILL have to hustle for hrs despite keeping my avail wide open.
It's gonna get even harder with the rollout of MyTime.
It was no coincidence that many TMs once considered full-time are being pushed to part-time as PT benefits have been eliminated. Yet spot demands loyalty while twisting a dagger your back.
True, a union wouldn't have made much difference but I wish spot would stop trying to pretend they have our best interests when it's always been business as usual.

2965187572_ef113c0692.jpg

I think that people should be given the option of being in a union and all unions should be privately funded. Not sayin unions are perfect but people should be allowed to have a choice. Having that choice taken away from you is just wrong.

Joining a union is like joining a club. If you want the job with the perks. You join the union. If you don't want a union job. You can always find a owner who would pay you less and exploit you.

Unionize all you want - it won't get you anything the corporation doesn't want you to have. The union can demand, the company says no, and the employees walk. They then get paid little to nothing (probably the latter) while Target can go out and hire new employees who are NOT union to do the job. It doesn't take a lot of training to push a product onto a shelf. Setting a POG? Not that hard. Backroom? Basics are very easy.

Unions can't get what the company is not willing to give - that's the bottom line. Retail employees (normal on the floor folk) are a dime a dozen. Sorry, but it's true.

Has SPOT been sending their apologists here?

Mr. Block,

Unions are here to remind the company that WERE are the ones who make the wealth to them. Corporations are not our feudal lords which us peasants are required to have to survive. This is why we must organize. Everyone must organize because it is the only weapon we have against these companies. If we are so easy and replaceable. Why SPOT and other major company spend huge amounts of money to battle unions? Because they know unionization hurts them and it benefits the workers who they exploit.

I don't see why you would need a union? Are you guys getting treated THAT unfairly? I'm crossed trained and I get a full 40 every week, same hours m-f. I had to pal around with the boss (who actually is pretty fukin cool), but that's the way of the world. Make the right moves, get where you want in life. A union is nothing more than a crutch.

I don't see why you would need a union? Are you guys getting treated THAT unfairly?

I'm also cross-trained, have wide open avail, am respectful to my leadership & vibe the hell out of guests enough to pull up survey scores for both FA & SB.
I've done everything spot asked to make myself an asset to my store & in return, I've been lied to & ridiculed behind my back so yeh, we are.

I don't see why you would need a union? Are you guys getting treated THAT unfairly? I'm crossed trained and I get a full 40 every week, same hours m-f. I had to pal around with the boss (who actually is pretty fukin cool), but that's the way of the world. Make the right moves, get where you want in life. A union is nothing more than a crutch.

Well strictly from my perspective I was fired under conditions that never would have happened if there had been a bad ass union rep (like my wife was) in the room.
Representation makes all the difference in the world when you are being harassed.

Rule #33: It never hurts to suck up to the boss.

Do you care that your co-workers are being treated horribly and they are exploited or you are in your little world don't care about anything yourself?

1351808474439_3130081.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back