Archived Major changes? What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm... the meijer site doesn't explain in much detail how this works... so how is this an improvement??
No, I meant 5% off on products. Mperks has both store an mfr coupons. Much better than the cartwheel offers tend to be. $1.00 off cherry tomatoes, not 5%! Has nothing to do with their credit card discount. Also, it stores copies of your receipts. I can pull up anything in the last 2 years and get the image of the receipt. There are several "rewards" that you can choose for yourself. You have 4 weeks to achieve the reward. They are geared toward how you spend. Right now, I have $6.00 if I spent $175, $4.00 if I spend $35 in fruits and veggies, and $4.00 if I spend $40 in meats. The amount you spend on meat etc goes toward the total spent too. If you earn them, the rewards are used like cash on whatever you want. Also easy to use shopping list. Pharmacy rewards are also integrated. I find it much more useful than cartwheel, and the deals are better too.

IDK what kind of PFresh you have, but ours mostly consists 'Taters, Steak, and Eh'vocaters'
Ours has stuffed pork chops & chicken, kabobs, stir-fry starters to name a few.
We also have a big fitness population so the 'grass & nut' milks sell big along with the protein shakes & smoothies.

WINNNEER! WINNER! Chicken dinner!!!!

The staffing needs to go way WAY WAY UP and the RC spiel BS needs to be halted! You want to talk agitated and annoyed guests... start with that BS... and then if you get one the guests in back.. you can hear the collective annoying sigh... and then the thud of crap hitting the CL EC shelfs, baskets full on the floor.. and the guests walk out the door! And then "additional cashiers to the front lanes..." Sighhh.. and the cycle continues....

What time did you go???

3:30 in the afternoon.

I've cashiered many mornings by myself, sometimes as late as 10:30 before the 2nd cashier for the day arrives.

But late afternoon on a Thursday?

Just because you disagree, and think that plan is roses, rainbows and unicorns... I don't... I am also willing to say so..

Middle America don't need kumquats and pineapples... the come in to get tomatoes.. and they don't look to see that some one personally cultivated it 24/7 and the personally drove it to the packing house... They don't know what GMO is, well ok the farmers do since Monsanto sues them! but the consumer don't care!

There will ALWAYS be those at the extreme ends of this that want all this fad stuff... You might make a few bucks.. but what we are doing is at the EXPENSE of the GUESTS we WANT!

If all you want to do is capture the guest who came in and grabbed the C9 leggings and sports bra on sale, and then wanted some of that grass clipping juice.. by all means continue on! If you want to see guests come in and FILL CARTS with FOOD AND THEN get those C9 leggings etc.. then PUT THE FOOD IN THE STORES! Those coming for food in place of going to the other grocery chains will then shop and get those other items with higher margins ie: C9 leggings etc..

We don't have what MY GUESTS want.. I don't eat 99% of the stuff that I would consider basics.. but we need to have it.. We don't need 24 feet of yogurt & grass juice! Nor 20 feet of various nut juice trying to pose as milk.

Target going forward is only interested in investing into departments that will fit into just a few pillars of the business. They do not want to just compete with other grocery stores, but fit the mold that Target has already formed in its guests' minds. For this reason, food is going to focus on wellness and provide to guests who want that as their focus. We are not going to backtrack into a price war with other grocery companies and definitely not go back to other specialty grocery niches (such as cutting meats, deli etc). We want to get away from that and keep our business simple.

They do not want to just compete with other grocery stores, but fit the mold that Target has been desperately trying to form in its guests' minds. For this reason, food is going to focus on wellness and provide to guests who want that as their focus. We are not going to backtrack into a price war with other grocery companies and definitely not go back to other specialty grocery niches (such as cutting meats, deli etc).
Sorry I changed that little peice up there I think a lot of us disagree with. Target isn't there yet. We're in this little limbo right now, where we are trying to form a new image and grasp our new desired guests. But we still need the money from our old guests so we can get there. Right now Target stores look downright confused.

Target going forward is only interested in investing into departments that will fit into just a few pillars of the business. They do not want to just compete with other grocery stores, but fit the mold that Target has already formed in its guests' minds. For this reason, food is going to focus on wellness and provide to guests who want that as their focus. We are not going to backtrack into a price war with other grocery companies and definitely not go back to other specialty grocery niches (such as cutting meats, deli etc). We want to get away from that and keep our business simple.

Exactly! Look at the new grocery reset coming up, we're making our dry area more visually appealing, but also reducing duplicate skus and facings and bringing in new stuff to drive traffic. Why do I need almost a whole 4' section in cereal of honey nut Cheerios? I can reduce it to a 2 facing, and bring in another option for my guest.

Also, I will say I'm in the Midwest, I have farmers and fashion moms at my store. They LOVE having the organic options, love having the more exotic options. They expect us to be "trendy" and that's what is trending now.

I think Brian is taking us on the right path, and we all need to be ready for Target to be ever evolving to stay that trend setter. Our focus areas this year may not be our areas next year, because our guests want something different next year. Not only is that doing business and listening to their demands, it's also staying on the pulse of America.

No, I meant 5% off on products. Mperks has both store an mfr coupons. Much better than the cartwheel offers tend to be. $1.00 off cherry tomatoes, not 5%! Has nothing to do with their credit card discount. Also, it stores copies of your receipts. I can pull up anything in the last 2 years and get the image of the receipt. There are several "rewards" that you can choose for yourself. You have 4 weeks to achieve the reward. They are geared toward how you spend. Right now, I have $6.00 if I spent $175, $4.00 if I spend $35 in fruits and veggies, and $4.00 if I spend $40 in meats. The amount you spend on meat etc goes toward the total spent too. If you earn them, the rewards are used like cash on whatever you want. Also easy to use shopping list. Pharmacy rewards are also integrated. I find it much more useful than cartwheel, and the deals are better too.
Yep LOVE Meijer. Live a half mile from a brand new mailer that is beautiful!

Right now, I have $6.00 if I spent $175, $4.00 if I spend $35 in fruits and veggies, and $4.00 if I spend $40 in meats.
Given that you spent the 35 on fruits/veggies, 40 on meat, and 175 altogether, you only get 8% extra cash. There are almost always items with better deals than 8%. A free giftcard deal would be worth about that much, and I don't have to spend $175 to get that. If I buy food on sale, use my cartwheel deals, mfr coupons (included in cartwheel), and use a RedCard, I think I save more than you. And if youre a TM, you have an extra 10% and that's only if you don't buy simply balanced, which is an extra 20%. So you can definitely save big at Target.

And don't they still have that app so you can combine all those discounts plus your redcard onto one simple barcode for payment?

Last edited:
You can stack these deals with other things also. Manu and store coupons have always been on their app, you can buy stuff on sale and coupons and still earn the reward. They also do 10 percent off all general merchandise and 5 percent off all grocery weekends, IF you have the app.

The spend 175 get a reward is an added bonus, after all the other discounts. How great would it be at target if we got a discount after we spent so much money every month ON TOP of the giftcard rewards, coupons, etc.

The spend 175 get a reward is an added bonus, after all the other discounts. How great would it be at target if we got a discount after we spent so much money every month ON TOP of the giftcard rewards, coupons, etc.
You said it much better than I was! Of course, there is nothing to say that Redperks will have better coupons than Cartwheel.

They should be trying to specialize the grocery departments more. If @MasterofLOG's guests want more Spam and Easy Mac then that's what they should be getting. I do feel that some of these organics are a waste of space and money. Those weird Chia seed drinks come to mind. But most of these new "fad" products are selling quite a bit at my store. We just need to figure out exactly what is selling and where it's selling at.
That's a perfect example of something that needs to be determined on a per store basis. Because our guests love weird organic trendy crap like that and they have money to blow (average income over $100k in this area).

Heyy mamma chia is pretty good lol. You get fiber and the liquid needed to push it out all in one shot. I don't do organics though because the requirements to get the USDA organic label aren't strict enough to warrant the extra price. I get into some of the other trendy bullshit foods though.

My wm is fine. I don't necessarily buy the same things there that I'd buy at tgt though. I don't think wm and tgt are competing for customers necessarily. I think tgt is trying to attract shoppers from Amazon, trader Joe's, wegmans, other grocery stores. Making the store brands better is the key IMO. If I'm attached to MP this, Archer farms monster cookie bites, threshold sheets, c9 bras, xhil bralettes, that MSC tshirt fit, etc, I'm less likely to check another store first when I want those things. I think adding curbside, FF and the lower free shipping threshold are all shots fired at Amazon.

Frankly if the Targets I shop at would just zone, fill the shelves and staff some cashiers my wife would go back to spending much more there than she does now. I much prefer it this way because we go less often and spend less money. Not so good for Target. The stores now are just a mess.

The 'Middle America' you've described tends to shop at Walmart.

This is middle America geography wise.

As for demo's I'll spell it out and its not going to be pretty..

WHITE middle, to upper middle, and some lower higher class is the "target" ;) demo here...

White trailer trash, black, hispanics do NOT shop at my store in large numbers, There a few probably less than 20 total of those groups that shop here...

That other store is located in slum/ghettos for the 5 are in the immediate shopping area. They are over runned by hispanics on the weekends, and during the week its all the white trash and blacks. The stores are disgustingly filthy, and the employees are just as filthy.

Guests here constantly say they prefer to come to my store because:

1) The store is CLEAN even with my flow team here and cages full of cardboard and flats of freight,

2) Employees are CLEAN and friendly

What upsets guests is the LACK OF GROCERY v. the grocery chains and that other store.

We have what we term as "'store that shall not be named' rejects" who show up in their raggedy ass PAJAMAS, slippers, and stink with BO! They obviously got trressp'd from that other store (and in my state if LE trepss'd them its FOR LIFE!)

Target shoppers tend to be the moms who like Target's clothes selection better than Wallie's, who cook more than just steak & 'taters, who may have a child with food allergies, who'd like to treat themselves to an occasional latte, who'd like to decorate their home with something other than NASCAR memorabilia & deer head trophies.
If they can get all that in one stop, they're gonna spend more than they would at Wallie's.

The 2 local grocery chains have two extremes, lower prices and disgusting stores or clean stores and higher, MUCH HIGHER PRICES, unless its on sale. Again if we had more grocery to complete with these two chains more guests would make the store a grocery destination and then go shop those higher margin items in SL and HL.. T

As the yoga/leggings brigades.. 98% of them have not or ever set foot in a "gym/yoga" setting in their life. It may be called active wear, its more like leisure wear and or too lazy to find clothes to put on..especially the HS girls who either have to wear uniforms (parochial and private school - local schools SUCK!) There are few who can tell have actually been to a gym etc... Then there are the HS'lrs and the local comm. college girls who are either in leggings/yoga/jeggings.. or they are in jeans/boots. This is FFA/4H country these girls know their farms!

These families from the farm families to the "suburbanites" can't stand that other store... and only go for things we don't carry, a lot for the grocery. And they refuse to pay the price at the other clean store unless its on sale.

This area is big in beef production, and steak and taters is big... but basics more than just russet single and bags and bags of red potatoes, are needed. As is more cuts of steak, better grades. along with some more specialty meats ie: veal, lamb. Roasts for BBQ! The pork roasts sell pretty good here. Throw that thing in the slow cooker with those sauces or if you have a smoker... pulled pork... The ribs don't sell well here due to the poor packaging ie: the blood packages.

You aint' getting no latte or frappe nonsense in my store, we thankfully don't have that abomination just a regular FA. They will have to go the plaza nearby and get that crap before hand.

Maybe in the Haight-Ashbury cityTGT that grass clipping and yogurt may fly out the door here.. no.. I don't need 6 shelfs of that stuff, nor do I need mega jugs of it! Same with all those shelfs full of yogurt.. cut it down!

Chasing that 2% at the extreme "Tarjay" end is not the end to be chasing. ie:

I don't think we're focused on taking guests from Walmart so much anymore, which was Greg's thing. I think we're going for Whole Foods customers now.

You can NOT go this FAR DOWN the rabbit hole, and at the EXPENSE of BASICS! That group is not going to go shop for C9 leggings! They will pick them up look at the label "made in vietnam!" Not 100% handle coddled fabric and they won't buy it! You can't go that far off the deep end..

My 100-80-20 rule manages this. Basics along with niche and fads...

And...

THUD! There just went 99% of the PFresh customers here.. Guests here are not interested in that plan. Period. So you can come to my store and get some freezers, coolers, fixtures,etc. as we won't need them!

Not going to work here, and that means I too won't shop here for 99%, probably 100% of my food. If you and further up think this is the right strategy , hate to burst it to you, but here that strategy is destined to fail, and FAIL MASSIVELY!

Guests can't get what they want now.... and you shoving more of that "choose well" nonsense down my throat will just drive them right the door, food wise! We have some of the same thing that one of the local chains carry, and we are cheaper already unless its on BOGO or something. Add in 5% and BAM! We may not be cheaper than that other store and or the other local chain, but TGT guests don't go there as they are filthy in any way you look at them and the locations are unsafe, especially later in the day early evening.

So I will start sweeping back to the DC our Pfresh stuff as we don't need it! Guess I can move my PA to flow, and well the other market TM(s) can get some scraps from HL hours.

No, I meant 5% off on products. Mperks has both store an mfr coupons. Much better than the cartwheel offers tend to be. $1.00 off cherry tomatoes, not 5%! Has nothing to do with their credit card discount.

Well they probably have better margins on their food ... would be my best guess...consdeiring what comes on my FDC.. I should just have my team QMOS the whole thing! Totally crap on some things.

Also, it stores copies of your receipts. I can pull up anything in the last 2 years and get the image of the receipt.

Ummmm.. ok.. so whooossshh.. right over me.. why would you need a receipt from 2 years ago?? Maybe a few weeks.. don't get it...

There are several "rewards" that you can choose for yourself. You have 4 weeks to achieve the reward. They are geared toward how you spend. Right now, I have $6.00 if I spent $175, $4.00 if I spend $35 in fruits and veggies, and $4.00 if I spend $40 in meats. The amount you spend on meat etc goes toward the total spent too.

For guests here to spend that kind of $$$ then we need to have more selection of grocery to compete with a more traditional store from Aldi to Giant Eagle to Meijer to Krogers etc... As otherwise posted in this thread, since that is the exact opposite of where this Titanic is headed, iceberg! DEAD AHEAD! This wouldn't work.. the cart levels are no way going to be that big with what we have or will have.

If you earn them, the rewards are used like cash on whatever you want. Also easy to use shopping list.

Pharmacy rewards are also integrated.

Well they still own theirs, right? So that ship has sunk already for TGT.

I find it much more useful than cartwheel, and the deals are better too.

IF we had more selection then I would agree, with the current limited selection and the tack we are planning to take... meh.. I don't see it really doing much good as no one is going to have $35 of veggies as we won't have any they want to buy!

They should be trying to specialize the grocery departments more. If MasterofLOG guests want more Spam and Easy Mac

The spam, no, it just sits on the shelf, there were cans and cans of it expired the other day, and I find that stuff disgusting. We don't here anyway carry potted/"deviled ham" meat. Those easy macs, while I tried them, they are disgusting v. real mac n cheese (the MP box, I refuse to purchase Kraft since they change the recipe) ... nasty...

We just need to figure out exactly what is selling and where it's selling at.

This, This!, THIS!!! While I 100% want to walk in to any TGT or really any other store, and go Gx iis cereal, and I will get my bags of Colossal Crunch etc..same with other areas.. like what happened to those C9 stores? Gawd I think we could take the old garden center area.. close it in, and put a C9 store in there, and all the girls would flock in there for their leggings etc. since based on other things we are unlikely to ever get what we really need bakery, deli better use than being a garbage collection area.

100-80-20... Again shoving things down my stores throat because it sells in some TGT that is similar volume but not the same demo's is not going to work! Guests don't understand PFresh v. "Super" the come in see food, "Oh you are a super now!" No, and they quickly realize it when they start looking deeper for what they want, and oh no bakery, no deli even pre-packed ie: more selection.. We lost a lot of guests and SALES when the canned veggies and fruits were stripped and replaced with all those apple sauce squeezers, and thanks to the MIR, it really is a ghost aisle!

Like I said... I've got coolers, freezers, walk ins, fixtures ready to store-store transfer! Who needs em!??!??? ;) We won't... DC is going to love our sweep trucks! :) ;) Wonder what we can put in that side of the store now....

White trailer trash, black, hispanics do NOT shop at my store in large numbers, There a few probably less than 20 total of those groups that shop here...

That other store is located in slum/ghettos for the 5 are in the immediate shopping area. They are over runned by hispanics on the weekends, and during the week its all the white trash and blacks. The stores are disgustingly filthy, and the employees are just as filthy.
Thanks again for removing all doubt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back