Archived Making a jump from TM to ETL ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alot of these replies were really good to read, lots of good advice. I have a similar experience and mine just happened 2 days ago. I just went from being GSA to SrTL. I have been the GSA in my store for 13months and just got promoted to SrTL so crazy awesome things like this def. happen :) Good Luck!

I don't want to discourage you, but it's all politics. If the STL will vouch for you, then yes, you can do it. But unless your STL goes to bat for you, it is impossible. And the support of the ETL's really doesn't matter (other than convincing the STL to say yes) because the DTL makes the decisions. It really doesn't matter HOW good of scores you have, or what you've done in the past.. Somehow Execs/STL's can only remember short-term events lol (prob from all the drinking you have to do to keep your sanity in those roles). Also, when you break down the pay for ETL's hour by hour, they're not making much at all. You'd make more as a Sr.TL in the $20/hr range than an ETL working 60hrs+ a week (more during 4th quarter). Plus when you clock out, you're DONE!! Being salaried sucks.. you have to take work home with you and constantly check emails. When I think about it, there is nothing positive about being salaried other than the money the company is saving by having you work more and more for the same pay lol

I agree with this more than I want to. I know I followed a Logistics ETL in a store once who was promoted to STL, and I had to clean up her mess. Last I heard she was a DTL. And being salaried does have its drawbacks, as you stated. An advantage you didn't mention, however, is that I always know what my next paycheck is going to be. Oh, I also refuse to check emails from home. That sort of work involvement belongs to a higher paygrade than mine.

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate the candid ones, even though they are negative. I didn't just fall off the Target turnip truck yesterday, like I said I have over 6 years Target experience now and I am a fairly observant and intuitive person - I've seen all of the things that make Target the big bad scum of the Earth company many of you think it to be, so I understand the pitfalls of a position like ETL. More of a question of curiosity as to if the promotion in question is even possible. My STL is one that I have seen go to bat for many people in my position, but as I said the path was usually TM > TL > ETL at minimum.

And I agree with insiteful1, people may appear to be just a bunch of butt kissing retards, but usually they are just playing the Target game to their advantage; it may seem silly but it is the smart thing to do in a company that, like all others, is about who you know and internal politics.

I've worked for other companies and I like Target above all of them. But, you're right: the Game is the Game. If you're not playing, you're losing. I've noticed a trend lately (at least in my district) of college graduates being hired into SrTL positions. Not even ETLs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back