Archived Market Pantry prices higher than name brand?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarZHAYnotTarGET

Former Salesfloor TM
First time I've seen this.

Planter's, 34.5 oz dry roasted peanuts: $5.99
Market Pantry, 34.5 oz dry roasted peanuts: $6.99

Is this a common occurrence? I thought MP was supposed to compete with other brands on price.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    985.4 KB · Views: 102
I've seen it before, but never by that much. Usually it's because the name brand has lowered it's price a bit and the MP brand hasn't caught up yet. I've only seen a difference of ten cents or less, though; never a whole dollar! I would have scanned the actual item; it's possible the MP version has had a price change (or the name brand) but Price Accuracy hasn't been through yet or something silly like that. A lot of times when it's a brand new set, they use the label strips that they get sent and the prices don't always necessarily reflect what they'll be once PA comes through.

It can also happen due to comp shops. If planters peanuts are $2 at Walmart, the price could be cut at our store. However now that makes the price less than Market Pantry.

There's a bunch of mp stuff in my store that's more expensive or same price. I mean, that's not the norm, but it's true for enough items that I've noticed it quite a few times. Sometimes it's cheaper but not by enough to experiment with the generic. Sometimes it appears cheaper, but the package is smaller so when you calculate price per oz or whatever it's more expensive.

There's a bunch of mp stuff in my store that's more expensive or same price. I mean, that's not the norm, but it's true for enough items that I've noticed it quite a few times. Sometimes it's cheaper but not by enough to experiment with the generic. Sometimes it appears cheaper, but the package is smaller so when you calculate price per oz or whatever it's more expensive.

Yes, Ive noticed this, too. Seems kind of funny that MP is more expensive...but it happens often.

There are several types of private label/store brand products.

Some are 'cheaper then national' which are no-frills products and usually less quality then the national brand. These are usually found at grocery stores and much cheaper then national brand products.

Most are 'comparable to national' which make an attempt to be similar to the national brand. These are usually a few cents cheaper then the National brand. Target's Up and Up, Walgreen's Nice!, and most store brands for in this category. The main customer for this category is someone who is price conscious.

Finally you have 'premium to national'. These are geared toward customers who aren't as price conscious, and wanted to fully convert from the national brand. They will try to match and beat the quality of the national brand. And it may be the same or more expensive to the national brand. This what Market Pantry is... They don't want the customer to swap because of price.. They want the customer to buy it because of the quality.

I would say that market pantry is comparable to national, and archer farms is premium.

That is what it's supposed to be. Archer Farms used to be the only store brand for grocery. Market Pantry was introduced to be the generic brand and most Archer Farms product was either discontinued for MP or reformulated to compete against national brands.

I would say that market pantry is comparable to national, and archer farms is premium.

I think simply balanced is also premium.

AF stuff switched to mp (the sea salt pretzel caramel by mp is absolutely inferior to the old AF one, btw) but now there's a bunch more AF stuff again. Or I could be wrong and those things just weren't carried in my store before. Idk.

I think simply balanced is also premium.

AF stuff switched to mp (the sea salt pretzel caramel by mp is absolutely inferior to the old AF one, btw) but now there's a bunch more AF stuff again. Or I could be wrong and those things just weren't carried in my store before. Idk.

Simply Balanced is Target's effort to be organic. So yeah premium. It's good too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back