Mentor then TL

I just have a question. So right now I’m a TM that working her way up TL I got assigned a mentor.
I just have questions,
What is my mentor teaching me ? The ropes of being a TL and what’s expected of me ?
And after being assigned to a mentor how long after I become a TL.
Is it just based on how fast I grasp everything or ?

I just have a question. So right now I’m a TM that working her way up TL I got assigned a mentor.
I just have questions,
What is my mentor teaching me ? The ropes of being a TL and what’s expected of me ?
Obviously there needs to be a position open. There really is no time frame. Ive had several mentors and they basically all go the same, nobody has extra time so basically gotta make sure you are the one asking. Youll get duties and tasks and things you can work on. Its mostly common sense stuff. Itll basically going to be the old tl tasks on tm pay, which is partly true but theres a lot more to it then that. Good luck it can take a long time they dont like giving up good tms that get shit done.

Run situations by them. Did you handle it well? Is there something you could do differently?

Discuss your strengths and opportunities with them - mostly your opportunities and focus on fixing them.

I just have questions,
Ask the cartoon penguin. He knows everything. Lmao

Last edited:
These are all great questions for your mentor. It’s a way to show initiative and garner attention. Good luck 🙂
this is the correct answer but i will humor the op

I just have questions,
What is my mentor teaching me ?
whatever it is they determine are your areas of opportunity. depending on your department this could be a lot of things
The ropes of being a TL and what’s expected of me ?
less the ropes of being a team lead (that's what your actual trainer will be for) and more about how to start to fill out gaps in your game, so to speak. knowledge gaps, communication, things like that
based on a wide variety of factors including but not limited to: how your mentor appraises your progress, how your executive leadership feels, the impact you're having in your own building...

Older co worker of mine explained that the mentor, development packet, team captain thing etc is bascially just a thing target uses to string along good workers who they dont really have any intention of promoting, theres a guy in my dept right now, top 3 metrics, SD even said he had natural leadership qualities, encouraged him to sign up for the professional development meetings thing, so he did, he got a giant packet of stuff to fill out, and was supposed to find a mentor (all the TLs they suggested be mentors are too busy to mentor anyone lol) its been months and hes still not even been made a "captain" like they said would happen for "the next phase of his development" now they're shocked hes interviewing for TL positions at other stores/jobs outside target.

also worth noting if youre an outside hire with 0 target experience, and even 0 retail experience you can get a TL spot without any mentor etc, our new specality sales TL only experience is being a position coach for a minor league baseball team, and running a sunset cruise charter boat business on his personal 48ft sport yacht lol.

Target also hires recent college graduates that do an internship as an ETL.

If I was ever asked to be a TL (which I have no interest) I would ask them to email me a written job offer and with pays, benefits, training schedule, etc.

If you don't get anything in writing they aren't serious.

also worth noting if youre an outside hire with 0 target experience, and even 0 retail experience you can get a TL spot without any mentor etc, our new specality sales TL only experience is being a position coach for a minor league baseball team, and running a sunset cruise charter boat business on his personal 48ft sport yacht lol.
Funny thing with Target, if you have Target experience they don’t want to promote you, especially if you have been there for a while, because they want someone with a clean slate who doesn’t have to be re-educated out of doing things the old way, but if you are an external hire with that clean slate, they treat you like an outsider forever because you don’t understand how Spot does things. Can’t win…🙄

Funny thing with Target, if you have Target experience they don’t want to promote you, especially if you have been there for a while, because they want someone with a clean slate who doesn’t have to be re-educated out of doing things the old way, but if you are an external hire with that clean slate, they treat you like an outsider forever because you don’t understand how Spot does things. Can’t win…🙄
im currently playing some of this game to maybe eventually become a TL anyway though lol, im a captain but im also applying to TL positions outside my own store, according to everyone ive talked to thats the way to do it, and they told me to not bother doing the mentor/development packet stuff at all.

The mentor stuff is fine on paper, probably made with good intentions, but there is no time to actually follow through with any of it. They made me do it like 5 times over 3 years each time promising to do more. The 30, 60, 90 where they were supposed to interview you and put you on the bench till a position opened up was forgotten days later. Dont rely on target or your leaders for your development. They may like you and want to help you but they are too busy. Look elsewhere while they string you along and one you get a job offer theyll magically have something for you if they were serious about promoting you.

Back