I'm Lost! Minor work

So I saw an open shift today, I called and I got in it was 4:30 to 8:30 and I was like ok easy then a team leader said "hey can you stay here till 11" I said that I'm minor and I cant do that but I kind of did stay till 11 did I do anything wrong?

It's a compliance issue with the store and they can be fined. At my old store, if you were a minour, you could stay to 10 and be scheduled to 9:45 to assure you would not be staying at work too late in the night. Weekends were a little different but generally the same.

Yes. Minors MUST clock out by 9:45. Leaders know this. If you knew and said you couldn’t stay, why did you?
I've always wondered why this is. For example, state law for MN is minors can work till 11pm on evenings before school days. So why does Target have it at 9:45pm?

The way to do it in that scenario is say nothing and get that bread. It's on the TL for letting it happen.

Once upon a time there was a 14 year old cart attendant at one of my old jobs who was racking up OVERTIME during the school year for a hot minute because the alcoholic drunk-on-the-job assistant manager needed help doing rando busywork in the backroom every night. He'd come in around 3-4pm and immediately get asked to stay until midnight or later. It was hella hilarious because of how long it went on, how long it took corporate to notice (and I don't think it was corporate who finally did) and that nobody thought it was odd that a middle schooler was coming home from work at 12:30 am. They fired the manager but the kid was just told to always say no if asked to stay past a certain time, and kept his job and all those hard-earned racks. I was sad to see the manager go because I could've used one like him at all my jobs, especially if he doesn't get fired 👌

I had to look that up, because I had no idea that minors under the age of 16 could legally get a job. You learn something new every day.

Back