Archived Moving from Backroom TM to PMT (formerly SFT): What to expect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I forgot to mention that talking about the SBS reminded me of something I saw on RedWire:

Facilities Management will be transitioning to Property Management. No structural changes at all, but I guess I won't be an SFT, I will be a PMT. I prefer the SFT title, so maybe I can get that to stick in my store if I get trained in time. IIRC, it took quite a while for people to stop calling for Building Services or the SBS on the walkie. :rolleyes:

The SFT at my store was the same pay as a Sr.TL and he worked 6a-230p mon-fri. He was great. (I assume he's still there, I'm the one not still there haha).

Also, I forgot to mention that talking about the SBS reminded me of something I saw on RedWire:

Facilities Management will be transitioning to Property Management. No structural changes at all, but I guess I won't be an SFT, I will be a PMT. I prefer the SFT title, so maybe I can get that to stick in my store if I get trained in time. IIRC, it took quite a while for people to stop calling for Building Services or the SBS on the walkie. :rolleyes:

The PMT at my store came from the backroom of another store. Literally zero experience doing maintenance. He said he's been overwhelmed with everything. But hey, for that kinda pay i just might have to keep an eye out for any openings!

I worked at a store for years with an SFT whose favorite line was ... That's not job. Can you help do this? Not my job. Can you help do that? Not my job. Oh, but your job seemed to have been to sit at the receiving computer and look up car insurance?

Well guess what? Our store closed last year. And guess who couldn't transfer out as an SFT because no positions were available? And he wouldn't take a lateral move to the sales floor.

The SFT I work with now is much more cooperative about helping.

Oh, and the other guy, still unemployed.

I worked at a store for years with an SFT whose favorite line was ... That's not job. Can you help do this? Not my job. Can you help do that? Not my job. Oh, but your job seemed to have been to sit at the receiving computer and look up car insurance?

Well guess what? Our store closed last year. And guess who couldn't transfer out as an SFT because no positions were available? And he wouldn't take a lateral move to the sales floor.

The SFT I work with now is much more cooperative about helping.

Oh, and the other guy, still unemployed.

As a PA, my SFT is my hero...

Orders me stuff when my CTL forgets... which is most of the time

Well, after a few weeks of nagging my ETL and STL to squeeze my interviews into their busy schedule, I had my final district interview today. I passed them all with flying colors, so I am officially the new PMT at my store!!

What a load off of my shoulders! Now I just have to make it through my last two weeks in the backroom without dying of boredom before I start my training!:D

Well, after a few weeks of nagging my ETL and STL to squeeze my interviews into their busy schedule, I had my final district interview today. I passed them all with flying colors, so I am officially the new PMT at my store!!

What a load off of my shoulders! Now I just have to make it through my last two weeks in the backroom without dying of boredom before I start my training!:D

Congratulations!

Yes the dates are off but Redwire provides all the information and updates for all our projects.

Thank you all! I'm looking forward to my PMT training. I will be officially starting with the new schedule that will go up this Friday, but my ETL is trying to make up for my hiring delays by swapping as many of my shifts next week with other BR TMs. That way I can get a head start on my training and the rest of the backroom will quiet down about the lack of hours next week. That's a win-win for all involved.

I will definitely keep in touch with other PMTs on here, as well as in my district of course. I may look to some of you for guidance when needed.

Pmt position just opened please help been with presentation for 4yrs so have some kind of idea of the position I need help with the talking part interview questions im really determined to get this position did first interview with etl log

Pmt position just opened please help been with presentation for 4yrs so have some kind of idea of the position I need help with the talking part interview questions im really determined to get this position did first interview with etl log
Do you have actual maintenance experience? That's a big one.

Be prepared for the equivalent of a senior TL interview. The SFT (now PMT) position is much more of a leadership role than it used to be and your answers should stress your ability to be a leader in the building. Your answers need to go into great detail and be confident when you give them.

I went through SFT interviews about a year ago and found them difficult compared to normal TL interviews. Most of the questions have little to do with the actual position.

EDIT: read over the part where you already interviewed with ETL LOG. I would talk with your ETL if possible about any tips they can give based on that first interview.

Last edited:
Do you have actual maintenance experience? That's a big one.

Be prepared for the equivalent of a senior TL interview. The SFT (now PMT) position is much more of a leadership role than it used to be and your answers should stress your ability to be a leader in the building. Your answers need to go into great detail and be confident when you give them.

I went through SFT interviews about a year ago and found them difficult compared to normal TL interviews. Most of the questions have little to do with the actual position.

EDIT: read over the part where you already interviewed with ETL LOG. I would talk with your ETL if possible about any tips they can give based on that first interview.

^ X2!

I interviewed with my ETL-LOG, my STL, my PMBP, and also did a phone interview with another PMBP. It was very leadership oriented, which is the part I struggled with the most. I was nervous, and didn't answer a few questions with my PMBP to my satisfaction, but I nailed the rest of my interviews, so I guess that helped.

There were significant portions of both of my district-level interviews that were skills-focused, as well. I did great with those parts because I have quite a bit of personal experience and skills that are relevant to Property Management. I actually received a higher starting pay because of that, which I didn't necessarily expect.

The leadership oriented questions is the part im struggling with I want to be confident with my responses today im getting with the br TL hes going to help me with my delvopment hes a good guy he went from carts to br TL any advice or feedback would certainly be most appreciated thank you

I suggest doing a quick search on Google. Most of the target interview questions (look at ETL/TL ones) are out there. Go over those and have 5-6 solid answers that you can go to (and plug in) to almost all of the questions you'll probablly be asked. Use examples that not only involve you but involves other people around you (leadership).

Biggest thing I'll have to say is actually know why you want the position. I know it may sound silly but that question throws a lot of people off.

The interview questions are in the STAR format. Google that for more details, but generally speaking you want your answers to cover the following points:

-The SITUATION you are using in your example
-The TASK you need to perform
-The ACTIONS you took to complete the task
-The RESULTS of your actions

Print the Leadership Expectations and learn them. Every question you will be asked is focused on one of these areas

There are also a few threads here that I found helpful:

http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/team-lead-interview-tips.9030/

http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/team-lead-interview-coming-up.9475/

I should also mention that although I felt that I stumbled a little bit in my 3rd interview (with my PMBP) on a few questions I wasn't fully prepared for, my PMBP told my ETL and STL the next day that I did great!

So make sure you are fully prepared as much as possible, but don't try to answer a question right away if you need to think about it. Answer confidently and keep the Leadership Expectations in mind and you will do fine.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back