Archived Multiple Gift Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

redshirtVy

Debit or Credit?
I'm two days off training and today I had a guest come in and purchase multiple gift cards. He's done that previously with me and I think nothing of it, it's several iTunes gift cards totaling at a max of $500. But today he came in with some other guys, he had the same old stack of gift cards right when I was about to leave. They all just showed up and I didn't fuss although my light was off. Then my team leader? (I don't exactly remember his title, maybe a GSA?) and he sees a stack of Cheesecake Factory gift cards in the bin (unwanted items) which were just rejected by the guests multiple attempts with the credit card. Then my GSA informs be of "only one gift card transaction per day." Little did he know, that was maybe the seventh transaction I just did for that guest of a set of gift cards. IM FREAKING OUT right now, I didn't know! Maybe I'm just overreacting but now I'm scared that I may be written up for fraud or something.

Don't worry about it. You can plead ignorance. It's on your GSTL/GSA/trainer for not letting you know of the policy earlier.

I don't think this is best practice, more likely a case of asants( all stores are not the same). If it is then my store has been breaking rules for years.

As far as I know, that is not true. There is a max limit of $5000 per day per person, federally mandated. But it is a sign of a probably stolen credit card. Maybe ask for ID next time? I know, that isn't best practice, but your ETL AP will love you.

definitely a sign of a stolen credit card. ask for id next time around or if you don't fell comfortable call your GSTL or AP and let them handle it.

As far as I know, that is not true. There is a max limit of $5000 per day per person, federally mandated. But it is a sign of a probably stolen credit card. Maybe ask for ID next time? I know, that isn't best practice, but your ETL AP will love you.
My thoughts, exactly. Any transaction with huge amounts of giftcards normally points to stolen credit/debit card. You can always talk to your ETL and plead ignorance, being so new...

Red flags go up for me whenever someone is buying large amounts of gift cards, especially Visa/AmEx gift cards. Check with your AP to see if you should check ID with credit cards if you smell something fishy. My STL told me never to ask for ID (because then we'd have to ask everyone) unless prompted but just to tell AP when they come through.

Google million miles and manufactured spend. While I agree 75% of the time it is fraud, sometimes it's one of those people who like to manufacture spend to reach a CC reward bonus, usually for miles. I actually hope to do that someday. I'm doing that now, albeit only $500/mo to get a bonus for my Discover card.

The major players are those that earn 50,000+ miles and a obtain companion pass status. Which means every time they fly, a companion flies for free. Will I ever take that many vacations, no because I won't have the time or money, but even 2 free plane tickets is pretty decent deal imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back