Archived MyTime and unemployment

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been doing some researching now that MyTime has rolled out, and it seems that if an employee has a drastic cut in his hrs, due to no fault of his own he is very likely able to collect unemployment to make up his lost wages...anyone know? I read if an employer has cut back your hrs your probably will qualify....it would be nice if there was an excessive amount of TMs applying for unemployment benefits due to MyTime...lol

In my state a cut in hours can qualify you for partial unemployment compensation. If working less than full time is the employers choice, and you are able and willing to work full time, you can get some unemployment.

The devil is in the details however. "Full time" is defined as what is generally considered full time for the specific job, leaving an opening for Spot to challenge your application. Might not be a problem though if, for example, you and most others in your job have been getting 20 hours pretty regularly, and now get 10.

Last edited:
The one time Plano members were cut to 8 hours for the week, I applied for partial unemployment.
After the waiting period I learned anything over 13 hours would not qualify for partial unemployment. I have not yet needed to apply for it since then.

Going from an average of 31 to 15.5 for the next two schedules, 2 others on my team going from 40 hrs to 19, and 3/4 of the rest of the store having their hrs cut by at least half, im suggesting we head to the unemployment lines, maybe it will send a message that we arent just going to sit there, work our two days a week, and not partake of something we are legally entitled to. I hope myself and others who have worked hard every day are indeed entitled to these benefits, after all we didnt ask for this.

Be prepared for a fight: Spot will likely fight these claims tooth and nail....especially if your eligibility is not completely wide open. And if you have a limited availability, you may lose.

Also, even if you do win, Spot will not look kindly on this, and may use it as a catalyst to performance you out, completely, so definitely watch your back.

Be prepared for a fight: Spot will likely fight these claims tooth and nail....especially if your eligibility is not completely wide open. And if you have a limited availability, you may lose.

Also, even if you do win, Spot will not look kindly on this, and may use it as a catalyst to performance you out, completely, so definitely watch your back.
Thanks for the concern. I am sure it is possible.
When I applied for partial unemployment HR approved it and has not scheduled me less than 21 hours since.
Somehow word got to my peers in Plano and they applauded my action. One team member recently asked me for advice on how to do it

Last edited:
Thanks for the concern. I am sure it is possible.
When I applied for partial unemployment HR approved it and has not scheduled me less than 21 hours since.
Somehow word got to my peers in Plano and they applauded my action. One team member recently asked me for advice on how to do it

Yes, I did nearly the same thing many years ago at a prior job before Target. I too 'magically' got my hours back.

From what I was told when you apply for partial unemployment the company is basically paying you for not physically working at the store so in a since you are receiving "free" money from them. They don't like that so they give you your hours back.

Whenever my hours are slashed, I file for it. Never had a problem from Target. Then when they want me to stay I simply tell them the extra hour or two will screw with my under-employment claim. Then they return me to decent hours. I always tell TMs to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back