Archived Need Help! Target Debit card declined on large purchase money was there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I'm relatively new here, I was recently hired at target a month ago, when I got hired I also signed up for a target red card (debit) to get an additional 5% off plus my employee discount. So Today I went to go buy the tv that I have been eyeing for weeks. The Panasonic 55" ST30, on sale they week for $1299.99 and it says save an additional 5% with the target red card and has the red card price of $1234. Well when they started ringing me out, I presented my discount card took 10% off, and then after I swiped my target debit card and it took the additional 5% off. The price came to $1181 quite the savings, but its savings that I'm entitled to by working there and having a debit card. Well 3 SECS later Target Declines there own target card thats linked to my bank account that has $1600+ dollars in it. Im like WTF at this point and I am frustrated as I planed this for weeks. I called up the phone number the other cashier gave me, I talked to this Out of the country Indian who basically kept repeating the same script over and over, saying that I do not have along enough transaction history with them yet so I can't make any purchases over $100. This is absolute BS, as every marketing poster in the store says save 5% today, it doesn't say anything about under $100 for X amount of time. I ended up having to drive 20 mins from target to goto my bank and withdraw $1300, in cash and pay for the tv this way. I ended up spending an extra $70 on the tv all because Target plays games with there customers and employees. I use this card all the time when I'm working and have made several purchases on it.

How can I go about correcting this? Sorry for the rant but as you can imagine it is frustrating.

Thanks!

Actually she wasn't BS'ing you.

After 2008, Target put a lot of limits like that to prevent with no history of credit at the company (not that you don't have good credit but you don't have good credit with Target). Plus if you just start out buying a massive new thing like thta, they will decline it as well because as far as they are concerned it could be a stolen card (though you think being a team member would have been good enough.)

The numbers that happened in 2008 and 2009 were just so ugly from people failing to pay them back that they had to give up the Target VISA.

I actually had this happen with a check a while back too, was only for $300 ish but it was declined. Debit card worked fine tho

After 2008, Target put a lot of limits like that to prevent with no history of credit at the company (not that you don't have good credit but you don't have good credit with Target). Plus if you just start out buying a massive new thing like thta, they will decline it as well because as far as they are concerned it could be a stolen card (though you think being a team member would have been good enough.)

The numbers that happened in 2008 and 2009 were just so ugly from people failing to pay them back that they had to give up the Target VISA.

Gotcha, and to clarify, The only reason why if eel its bs is because even if it was stolen you would still need the pin number to use the card. I even called them up gave them the card number last 4 of my social, everything to verify who I was, and to ask them to lift the limit as the money is there, and all my target card transactions come out immediately. Yet he keeps repeating the same phone script, as a generic robot who did not care, I didnt even tell him I was a target employee. I understand we have limits that should be set to protect the consumer but all of there marketing is very misleading. When you put "Sign up for a target debit card and get this hdtv 5% off at this price $1234" when in reality target would not let you buy anything over $100 with the card if you haven't had a history with them before.

Is there anyway to get the 5% difference if I go back to the store? $70 is kinda allot of money, and it didn't bother me as much until now. I just feel very mislead as the card has always work with no problems before this, and I wouldn't think you could even use the 5% off on the hdtv until they had it advertised everywhere that you can. If not I hope the TV goes on sale within the next 14 days, as I am most certainly going to get a price adjustment on this.

Last edited:
That is something you are going to have to ask your GSTL about.

And depending on your GSTL you could get either a "yes, you can" or a "no you can't". If you get the "no" answer then talk to your AP and they'll let you know if it is a changeable answer to a "yes."

As I've read before there's someone who has said, "remember, not all Targets are the same." That's good to know when you are in a store that isn't very pleasant. You can hope that the leadership can change and get better.

Actually, I had a guest purchase an expensive electronic item about $600+ worth. He was using his Target debit card and got decline. He called the number on the card and basically told them there was a limit on how much you can spend on the debit card. After hearing that, he was pist off like hell, telling me how ridiculous it was that they put a limit on her debit card and how they can tell him I can't spend my own money. Later said he'll cancel his card and never shop at Target again. Apparently he shops at Target a lot.

I was kind of surprise as well. A limit on a debit card? Never heard of that.

Actually, I had a guest purchase an expensive electronic item about $600+ worth. He was using his Target debit card and got decline. He called the number on the card and basically told them there was a limit on how much you can spend on the debit card. After hearing that, he was pist off like hell, telling me how ridiculous it was that they put a limit on her debit card and how they can tell him I can't spend my own money. Later said he'll cancel his card and never shop at Target again. Apparently he shops at Target a lot.
A limit on a debit card? Never heard of that.
Haha agreed I've heard of a daily limit on my debit master card from my bank but I even specifically called them to lift all my limits on my account until Monday so I wouldn't have any problems. Target just wouldn't let me use the card over this virtual limit, and when I called they wouldn't lift there limit or approve the transaction, makes no sense why there advertising such large purchase items 5% off
I was kind of surprise as well. It seems more like target doesn't want to loose money on large purchase items.

The irony now, target still going to end up paying for this, Sears now has the tv for $1099 and I'm making them price match it. Target is now going to have to give me back $190 in cash, where if they just gave me 5% off in the begging I wouldn't even bother.

I was kind of surprise as well. A limit on a debit card? Never heard of that.

It's more common than you think. Checks follow similar protocol and because the Target debit card is essentially a plastic check Target probably has to follow similar procedures to minimize chances of overdrafting.

Correct me if I am wrong but don't guests that had the VISA before the program was cancelled still able to use it? I am pretty sure the credit card I saw a customer (not guest, since I no longer work at target lol) use one night at work was a Target VISA..

Yes, the VISA still works fine for those who have had it for awhile. Target is just not issuing any new ones.

Happened to me last month. Tried to buy a TV for 300 but it got declined so I didn't get the TV and I started to use my car once a week to establish good history.

Another reason why not to get, based on reading here.

It was really inconvenient when mine got rejected, but it hasn't happened since then. I still think it's more convenient than carrying around cash, and I buy virtually everything at Target so the 5% off really starts to add up.

I got the debit card when it first came out. I was able to use it whenever and for as much as I wanted with no problems. We switched banks and all of a sudden I am only able to use the card for 3 purchases a day,and with an extremely low limit. I have an established credit history with them since I have had an account from the begining. They gave me excuse after excuse as to why it was now being such a pain. Long story short, I got rid of the card.

It was really inconvenient when mine got rejected, but it hasn't happened since then. I still think it's more convenient than carrying around cash, and I buy virtually everything at Target so the 5% off really starts to add up.
I understand. I have the target visa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back