Archived Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psucnfmemd

DndkdZ
Hi, I haven’t been able to finish what my LOD asks of me for the past 2 shifts, I’m hardlines. The first time my LOD asked me to zone 2 whole letter sections in a 3.5 hours shift, the second shift I just finished pushing a CAF and did backup cashier and helped at electronics and then he wanted me to do another CAF, the first one took me almost 2 hours and this was on a 3.75 hour shift. I just got switched from seasonal to permanent and I’m nervous now because at least if I messed up as a seasonal it wasn’t as bad as messing up as a permanent.
Thanks for any advice, I’m stressing. My LOD never seemed annoyed when I didn’t finish, he just said something like “ Ok have a good day “ when I was clocking out. I guess what I really just want to know is how much they expect of me, are they setting high goals so I have something to do the whole shift?

PS... I’m not slacking or lazy while working, I’m working as fast as I can, I’m sure I can improve with efficiency but that will probably come with time and experience

If you’re being asked to zone that large of a section, they likely just want a ‘quick zone’. To do a quick zone I normally start by taking a cart and going through the letter and collecting any items that don’t go there, and put those away. For a ‘quick zone’ it’s not really realistic to pull every item on the shelf all the way forwards. I skip peg hooks completely and just try and atleast pull the first item over the diamonds. As for pushing CAFs, that LOD should understand that being Hardlines you have multiple other tasks like covering electronics and back up cashiering... unless they specifically start talking to you about your speed, I wouldn’t worry about it. It sounds like you’re doing a pretty good job if they kept you!

A lot of it depends. I work a 5 hour shift, and the first two hours are pulls/reshop and I usually only get through a competent zone of 2 letters if they'd been zoned recently. Otherwise aim to clear out reshop from the section and tidy/fill endcaps, make sure stuff is off the floor, etc.

I get a lot more done if I don't have to backup the lanes or cover electronics breaks or if it's dead, but that never happens. I'm not sure if our store has needier guests than most, but I significant chunk of my time is answering questions/calls/call boxes, fetching stuff from the back, etc.

I am, however, not a fast zoner in general. I'm incapable of letting stuff sit in the wrong spot (if I notice it, and I've been around long enough to notice) and our flow team sucks and grossly overfills floor locations so I spend a lot of time culling backstock enough to make the shelves not look like ass and stuff like that.

You are doing fine. Speed comes later, right now it's about doing things the right way. As you grow more comfortable you'll be able to do it a lot quicker. Ask for feedback and continue to show intiative.

Talk to your closing LOD about the zone expectations for the night. Mine is realistic about how much can get done. It just depends on the time alloted and the state of the zone when you start. One night last week I was given 3 hours to "zone" 3 whole letter sections that were extremely rough to start because they still hadn't been properly deep zoned after Christmas. None of them were my normal sections either. So the expectations for me were nothing more than running through them all to throw as many abandons in carts as I could find to prep the sections for a deep zone the next night. I wasn't expectated to make all the sections look brand. They were just grateful that I managed to find 7 carts worth of abandons for guest services to sort out. (Sorry front end. It's what I was told to do.)

At other times expectations are greater. A few nights ago I was given 2 hours 15 minutes to just zone toys. Well, that's my normal work center so expectations are that I would be able to deep zone most of the aisles in that time. Got them all done. Ripped all of flow's overstock off the shelves. (How is there already so much this soon after the transition??? Grrrr...) All abandons got properly worked out and toys looked immaculately on brand when I was done. The next night I was asked to do toys and sporting goods in 3 hours. Having just done toys I was able to deep zone 3/4 of it while keeping an eye on the boat during electronics' meal. So I was able to deep zone SG in about 2 hours, spend another 15 minutes deep zoning the rest of toys and use the remaining time to quick fix any issues that guests had caused since I had hit those aisles. (A gigantic fuck you to that one couple and their crying baby who managed to screw up both my Disney and Lego aisles.)

So, what you should get done just depends from night to night. Ask your closing LOD about what he/she thinks should get done and don't be afraid to tell them when they are being unrealistic.

I wouldn't worry too much. The last couple shifts I feel like I've barely gotten anything done myself. I got through middle, but only because I was doing a quick zone of bedding and plastics. I worried a bit that the LOD would be disappointed that it wasn't a deep zone, but with the time we had and the amount of people, it was all we could do.

I always aim for what I call "hot spots" in the areas I'm assigned. For example, rugs and towels - always folded and looking great. Chemicals pulled forward and looking brand. I zone up coffee mugs and the dishes in kitchen and backstock the extra. Sometimes it means skipping pegs or just walking through an aisle looking for abandons.

The more you get used to it, the better it will get. Some nights may be rough, and that's just because of a lack of hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back