Archived Needing to change availability of days-second job offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanted to see if I could get some input on this. I was hired on as a cashier at my Target store a couple of weeks ago and everything has been going well so far. When I first applied, I was able to have open availability with the exception of working on Fridays. However, I heard back from a job that I had applied for a month ago and after interviewing three weeks ago, got a call today that they want to offer me the job. It's a job that would have consistent hours so I would still be able to offer Target some availability. I currently am working 20-25 hours a week at Target and would need to reduce it down to 15-20 hours, if I am able to work after 5:00 on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday evenings and continue to work at any time on Sundays. I'm not sure how HR would look at the situation but the other job was not one I could turn down. I would still very much like to continue working at Target too as it's been an enjoyable experience so far. I was going to see if anyone might be able to offer any input on this? Thanks for reading.

Most stores don't let you change you availabilty the first 90 days, unless it's for school. So you can try, but likely the answer will be "no."

Darn, that's too bad then. I really need to take that other job though so if not, I'll probably have to give them my two weeks notice then if they are unable to work with me on it, unfortunately. Thank you for your input.

Depending on your store, don't expect much.
I heard our HR go off on someone who attempted the same.
The TM was reminded that they were hired with that specific avail & that the job offer would've been rescinded had their second job come to light.

From what everyone is saying, I definitely am not expecting much. The people at HR at my store seem pretty rational so I'm hoping if anything, they will be reasonable to talk with if I can still offer two weeks before needing to resign as the other job I was offered won't be starting for a few weeks yet.

I've been with Target for 8 yrs and NEVER changed my availability (n/a on Sundays and open all day/night for all other days). I needed to change it due to watching my grandkids and taking my mom to her dr. appts.
My stl (we didn't have an HR then) told me she couldn't approve that and that if she had to be here nights and weekends then she expected everyone else to also.
It didn't matter that some moms at our store only work 1 day a week or 1 night a week. She wasn't here then to approve/deny those, is what I was told.
I've had to put a few of my shifts on the swap shift board due to being unable to work those shifts.
Good luck.....

Thanks again everyone for your input! I decided today to give them my two weeks notice. With the other job and trying to make it work at Target, it's going to be too much for me to take on. Thanks again, I appreciate it!

I've been with Target for 8 yrs and NEVER changed my availability (n/a on Sundays and open all day/night for all other days). I needed to change it due to watching my grandkids and taking my mom to her dr. appts.
My stl (we didn't have an HR then) told me she couldn't approve that and that if she had to be here nights and weekends then she expected everyone else to also.
It didn't matter that some moms at our store only work 1 day a week or 1 night a week. She wasn't here then to approve/deny those, is what I was told.
I've had to put a few of my shifts on the swap shift board due to being unable to work those shifts.
Good luck.....

I think that is very unreasonable... You should ask for intermittent FMLA days to help take care of your mother. See how she feels then...

Sounds like she forgot about being a human being.

Good luck.....

I think that is very unreasonable... You should ask for intermittent FMLA days to help take care of your mother. See how she feels then...

This woman has ZERO people skills. She may have signed up to be an STL, but I did not.
How does taking FMLA days work? Sounds good to me. I would take a LOA but still need the little bit of money I get.....

Good luck.....

This woman has ZERO people skills. She may have signed up to be an STL, but I did not.
How does taking FMLA days work? Sounds good to me. I would take a LOA but still need the little bit of money I get.....

Talk to the ETL HR.
They will give you the paperwork.

FMLA can be taken intermittently as needed to help take your mom to doctors' appointments and the like. It doesn't need to be an all or nothing thing. I'm not sure you can take it to watch the grand kids (unless it's because one of their parents is sick). But definitely talk to your ETL HR.

http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/fmla-faqs.htm.

You should be able to use it to take your mom to the doctors. That website is really helpful. I don't know if they can deny you FMLA.... It would be rather stupid for them to do that since you have a legitimate reason and its only intermittent. I'm starting to wonder if your STL even has a family if she is that strict - doesn't sound like it....

http://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/fmla-faqs.htm.

You should be able to use it to take your mom to the doctors. That website is really helpful. I don't know if they can deny you FMLA.... It would be rather stupid for them to do that since you have a legitimate reason and its only intermittent. I'm starting to wonder if your STL even has a family if she is that strict - doesn't sound like it....

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! This just might help!!! At the very end it says something to the effect that they can't really deny it or retaliate against you and to contact a # if they do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back