• Start date
  • Replies 19
  • Views 14K
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NickVo

Hey,

Today was my first day of training as a cashier. I didn't do horrible but I did make a few mistakes and I have a few questions.

Is there any way I can get some kind of manual for the register before I work again? (I don't work again for a week) That would be so helpful because I currently have some trouble with the register, such as when to scan gift cards/coupons or how to do the little uncommon things that do come up every day.

Any other tips with bagging, scanning, and talking to customers at the same time would be awesome. I'm not slow for a first timer but I need to improve. Obviously with time I'll get far more confident but any tips would be great from you guys.

Also, after doing the initial training, will I train again when I start again in a week? After an hour or two or training now I'm confident but there are still little things I have 0 experience with so having someone shadow me would help a ton.

I really hope it's better at Target then today was. It went smoothly for the most part, my trainer was patient with me. My problem was he left to go do something, and I had an issue with the register. A red card thing popped up, I wasn't experienced with it at all yet and hit a wrong button, totally suspending everything. It took 2 or 3 minutes before anyone showed up (not my trainer or GSTL, but some higher up manager.) it was pretty awkward with the customer who was waiting but luckily they were nice and understood. It sucked that I was left alone so early on and that nobody responded for a while, because I was so new and made a simple mistake.

Thanks for reading folks, any help is appreciated! Looking forward to becoming a decent cashier.

Ask about the training guide for cashier. You should of gotten that before you were put on register. Don't forget the tests for register on workbench, too.

I got some packet that the trainer had to sign with checkmarks, that's about it. I'm going to call tomorrow about an actual guide I can pick up.

What do you mean by tests on workbench?

Its great that you want to "study up" but that would be working off the clock and a big no no. On your next shift, just let your GSTL know that you are still a little nervous. She may put you next to a more experienced cashier. No matter how long you have been at Target something new will pop up so don't sweat. Just talk with the guests the way you like to be talked to when checking out in a store. If you have an issue just smile and let them know that your a little new to the whole thing. Most guests will be really nice, a few will be poops but the good far outweigh the bad. Your first day on a lane you have a million new things to try to remember. Everyone leaves a little overwhelmed. After a full shift you will be amazed at how much you really do know! Then once you are a cashiering pro, remember how you felt on your first day, and then use that to make new cashiers feel welcome and confident! Welcome to Target!

I agree that you should have been given the cashier training guide to read before being put on a register. You can use that in conjunction with the register when it is in "training mode" to practice before going "live". Ask your GSTL to put a register in training mode for you and have a veteran cashier near you at ALL times. You can practice scanning and bagging. There will always be "quirky" things that happen, you're working with a computer, LOL. Most situations are easily resolved with the help of your team and team leader. ASK questions. Things change and it is a constant learning process. No one is perfect and we all started where you are now at some point in our careers, so keep that in mind and you will be fine.

Read the guides forum. Cashier topic to start, and the point of sale guide for register functions overview.

On you first day, you should have been put on a closed register and used the cashier train guide to train with.

Ok guys, I picked up the cashier training guide and all. I am pretty disappointed in the process of training me, putting me out on a register so soon wasn't the worst idea but the fact that I was left alone so soon kind of sucked.

On Monday when I work again, I'll likely be on my own but I'm a lot more confident this time. I just need experience and need to learn the register more.

Thanks for the help folks

I got some packet that the trainer had to sign with checkmarks, that's about it. I'm going to call tomorrow about an actual guide I can pick up.

That packet is your learning plan. Each item in the learning plan is something that you are expected to know when you work in that workcenter (in your case, cashiering). When your training is finished, you'll have to sign it, but don't sign it until you feel comfortable with everything listed.

What do you mean by tests on workbench?

As far as I can remember, there is only one. You'll have to take a quiz on the rules for selling alcoholic beverages. You have to get a score of at least 80% to pass, but you can take the quiz as many times as you want. If you're under the age of 21, you won't be allowed to sell alcohol (Target is VERY strict about this - CYA, you know), but either way, you still have to know the rules. You never know when you'll be the victim of a sting.

I was also put on a cash register without having any previous training. The GSTL who was suposed to train me was gone, and the rest of the cashiers thought I had gone through the Workbench training. They had me shadow another cahier for about half an hour before swapping places. I went through the booklet (which after being immersed in the role seemed a bit silly, but whatever ) but I'm now "certified" to work cash registers. I spent the last three hours on my own register, and with the help of some experienced team members, prevailed! I now know the codes for bananas, cucumbers, and green peppers, know how to delete items from gift registries, and how to attach gift receipts! Yay! I had to card a 60 year old woman for buying Fourth of July fire cracker things. I got someone a REDcard in my first hour, though. B)

I was also put on a cash register without having any previous training. The GSTL who was suposed to train me was gone, and the rest of the cashiers thought I had gone through the Workbench training. They had me shadow another cahier for about half an hour before swapping places. I went through the booklet (which after being immersed in the role seemed a bit silly, but whatever ) but I'm now "certified" to work cash registers. I spent the last three hours on my own register, and with the help of some experienced team members, prevailed! I now know the codes for bananas, cucumbers, and green peppers, know how to delete items from gift registries, and how to attach gift receipts! Yay! I had to card a 60 year old woman for buying Fourth of July fire cracker things. I got someone a REDcard in my first hour, though. B)

Way to go! I hope the 60 yr old guest took being carded with a sense of humor, those guests are the best :)

Try not to be disheartened by any...uh...irregularities in the training process; quiet as it's kept ( ahem ), it's more common than you think.

A lot of front end/cashiering/guest service type work is frankly just keeping your composure under pressure, thinking on your feet, "vibing" with the guests, being confident in your capacities and not being afraid to ask for help when you need it, at least at first...

And a lot of the rest is simply a matter of getting used to it. You will in time, so long as you pay attention and are given enough time on the checklanes, and have patient, understanding, and knowledgeable teammates.

Good luck, conratulations, and have a happy 4th of July weekend!

Honestly, after I was on a closed register and talked to my GSTL it was time for me to go home, so I never actually got a chance to really cashier until I was asked to backup. You really just pick up on things as you go, and never be afraid to ask your GSTL, one of the GSA's or even another cashier for help, they'll generally be happy to, and it's better you ask if you're not sure, rather than mess something up.

If something does take a while, just explain to the guest that you're still new at this, and laugh it off with them.

I have another question for you guys. How do I sell redcards? Can someone walk me through it step-by-step?

I have another question for you guys. How do I sell redcards? Can someone walk me through it step-by-step?

There are a myriad of threads on the forum about Red Cards. Just type "Red Cards" in the search box and you'll find plenty of threads that may help.

Hey guys, I went through those linked threads and did a search, but what I can't find is actually how to sell them, like what do to on the register. I went through this briefly at training but I can't recall exactly what to do.

If they say yes, you scan the redcard pamplet, then you ask for a check?

I don't want to be slow if I actually sell a redcard today. Thanks!

The best advice I could give you on cashiering is relax. When you are scanning merchandise don't look for the UPC, that's why you have wrists. You will quickly learn that on similar products the UPC's are always in the same location. By not looking you will increase your speed and have more eye contact with your guests, that will help you with Red Card conversions. To increase your odds on getting that Red Card look at what the guest is buying, is this something that you can relate to the guest about? Find that commonality and that helps you get the card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back