Archived New Cashier - Very Nervous

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! So this is my first time ever working at Target - and retail - so I think it's okay that I'm really nervous. Thing is, I don't want to mess up on my first time working, especially since this is my first time ever working on the cash register. Like seriously, I've never been a cashier before!

I know that I might make a few mistakes but it would be very appreciated if I can have some advice before I start. My first official day is tomorrow - I had my training yesterday and I believe that they really did try their best to make sure I was comfortable. I mean, four hours of training was perfect seeing as they answered most of my questions (I found later on in the day that I had just a couple I had forgot to ask while there) and the person I was shadowing was amazing and relatable(?) seeing as she's been only working there for one month but she knew what she was doing for the most part. I thought that it was awesome that they put me on with her because I was able to be comfortable enough to ask her some questions concerning her own personal experience.

Anyways, I have those first time jitters (and they are literally eating me alive) and I guess I just want some reassurance and ANY sort of advice I can get that can make my first day of work a little bit easier for me.

I guess my main concerns would be that I would be so slow that the guests get annoyed or that I would be rushing too much that I screw up something during the transaction.

I'm also nervous about the Red Cards and selling gift cards. I know that when you scan the barcode on either, the computer will help prompt you on what to do but I feel like I will still mess that up.

Like, if someone came up and had their merchandise as well as a gift card that they want to load up, would it be better to leave the gift card for last? Or does it even matter when you load the card?

I think, really, I am thinking too much on it (as you can see from my constant rambling) but I just can't get it out of my head. I only have a four hour shift tomorrow as this week is my training week but I still would hate to mess up completely...

Anyways, I would be so very happy with any sort of advice you can give me lol.

p.s. I forgot to also mention. I'm slightly worried about the whole break thing. I don't get lunch tomorrow as I only work four hours but for my break, do I just turn my light off at my register, sigh off, and then tell my GSTL that I'm taking my 15 minute break? Or am I supposed to wait for them to relieve me for it? I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to go about that.

p.p.s. I also would like - and appreciate - your personal experiences of your first time working the register. How was it like when you started? (And I mean the first time you ever worked on a cash register.) Did you mess up to badly? Was it nerve wracking for you? Any sort of experience you can tell me would definitely help to calm my nerves - even horror stories that you have lived through and dealt with!

Welcome to The Break Room! It is perfectly understandable that you're nervous - this is a new endeavor for you. Cashiering can be a bit overwhelming at first, but once you get the hang of it, it's a piece of cake.

I guess my main concerns would be that I would be so slow that the guests get annoyed or that I would be rushing too much that I screw up something during the transaction.

Focus on accuracy first. As you begin to get a feel for it, you'll find that you're getting faster. Accuracy first, speed later.

I'm also nervous about the Red Cards and selling gift cards. I know that when you scan the barcode on either, the computer will help prompt you on what to do but I feel like I will still mess that up.

Like, if someone came up and had their merchandise as well as a gift card that they want to load up, would it be better to leave the gift card for last? Or does it even matter when you load the card?

Gift cards are fairly straight-forward. If you're selling a gift card to a guest, scan it anytime before you hit TOTAL and type in the amount. The gift card will be activated automatically upon completion of the transaction. If the guest is using a gift card as payment, scan it after you hit TOTAL.

Red Card applications are also pretty simple. Just follow the prompts on the screen and have the guest provide whatever info the system asks for. The tricky part is getting guests to want to open a Red Card. For pitching techniques, use the search function to search for "Red Cards" and you'll find googolplex threads about it (I've never been good with this one, so I'll leave it to the pros).

p.s. I forgot to also mention. I'm slightly worried about the whole break thing. I don't get lunch tomorrow as I only work four hours but for my break, do I just turn my light off at my register, sigh off, and then tell my GSTL that I'm taking my 15 minute break? Or am I supposed to wait for them to relieve me for it? I'm still not sure how I'm supposed to go about that.

When you start your shift, check in with the GSTL. They will assign you to a lane and let you know when your break will be (the front end generally goes by a schedule for breaks and lunches). A few minutes before your break time, turn off your light so guests know that your lane is closed. If it's busy at the time, the GSTL might ask you to wait a little while, but it shouldn't be too long. The GSTL will know that you're headed to your break, but they might remind you anyways if it's getting to be that time.

p.p.s. I also would like - and appreciate - your personal experiences of your first time working the register. How was it like when you started? (And I mean the first time you ever worked on a cash register.) Did you mess up to badly? Was it nerve wracking for you? Any sort of experience you can tell me would definitely help to calm my nerves - even horror stories that you have lived through and dealt with!

I was a seasonal hire three years ago. Because it was my first time working in retail (and using a cash register, for that matter), you better believe I was nervous. I was trained in a group and never really felt comfortable with cashiering until I had worked several shifts on my own. I probably screwed up a lot, but for whatever reason, they kept me on after Christmas. The guests were ok for the most part and understood that I was new. I had a few ill-begotten miscreants come through my line every so often, but I learned not to get worked up about them. These days, I split time between cashiering and hardlines and occasionally train a new cashier.

Here is a link to our official* TBR cashier guide: http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/cashier.72/

*TBR official, not Target official. This forum is not sanctioned by Target. We are an anonymous community of current and former Target employees who share news, compare notes, and even vent when needed.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the reply!! While my nerves are still there, your reply has managed to make me feel relieved. Hopefully, after tomorrow is over and done with, I won't be as nervous and will hopefully be a little bit more into the whole hang of things lol

I think you'll be fine. Just don't be afraid to ask questions - that's why the GSTL is there. And we're always happy to help here too. We have several GSTLs, GSAs, and even an ETL-GE or two lurking around.

Best of luck to you.

I know that I might make a few mistakes but it would be very appreciated if I can have some advice before I start. My first official day is tomorrow - I had my training yesterday and I believe that they really did try their best to make sure I was comfortable. I mean, four hours of training was perfect seeing as they answered most of my questions (I found later on in the day that I had just a couple I had forgot to ask while there) and the person I was shadowing was amazing and relatable(?) seeing as she's been only working there for one month but she knew what she was doing for the most part. I thought that it was awesome that they put me on with her because I was able to be comfortable enough to ask her some questions concerning her own personal experience.

Anyways, I have those first time jitters (and they are literally eating me alive) and I guess I just want some reassurance and ANY sort of advice I can get that can make my first day of work a little bit easier for me.

Since you are new...forget the speed score for the time being. Go your speed. Make sure you scan everything, you take & give correct change, process Red Cards correctly. Don't let guests rush you.

If a guest is trying to rush you, there is a chance they are purposely trying to get you to make a mistake or short change you.

You can do a gift card at any point. If a guest hands you a giftcard at the end, you might want to confirm with the guest if they are either adding funds to a giftcard or paying with it.

After the transaction, you can hit price check and scan the giftcard to double check the funds went on a card.

When you are a cashier, you are to wait for the word from GSTL/GSA to go on break/lunch. If it gets over 15 minutes of your schedule break, you might want to double check with them to make sure they didn't forget you. Lots of times, the break schedule gets behind due to backups, or arranging TMs to cover Guest Service or Food Ave breaks.

There will be rare times where the GSTL/GSA will give your break schedule and tell you to go on break at those times on your own.

I started Target in 2000 when Target was using the old DOS text based POS. And the GSTL had to physically turn a key to override or change something during a transaction. It was a little more of a headached back then.

Just remember the POS will guide you and tell you what to do depending on your scan and selected option. Just read the cashier guide, and do the cashier practice, and you will do fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back