Archived New ETLs and Leaders Past and Present

Status
Not open for further replies.
First ETL I worked under in my store seemed cool and laid back while keeping people generally happy with the schedule. You are asked if you can stay past the scheduled time with the understanding that you do not have to but it is appreciated. Not once was anyone ever told to change their availability. He seemed to write it down and note it himself as he manages the schedule himself while keeping up to date with people on the floor. Everything was nice. No one is called into the office unless team members complain about you.

As time goes on he becomes generally annoyed with everything and anything. Everyone is the enemy. Must work harder. Must work faster. Tells leaders to "push them." Employees naturally come and go. Officially this ETL who I find out is new at his job takes the turn. It's not good enough anymore. Hours become cut during times of the year due to corporate, and then the ETL goes nuts with everything while doing nothing himself. New team members are berated in the middle of the floor and burst into tears walking out and never returning.

Leader of 20+ years endures much stress as there are no hours nor adequate team members to help. "If you can't get it finished you better call up other stores and ask them how they get it finished." The answer is, more team members and more hours. This is denied in this store. Stress continues and 20+ year leader quits. Never replaced, current team members take over the role of leader without compensation. Eventually ETL is transferred out of the store.
__
Second ETL takes over being promoted from AP (I assume that's a promotion). Everything is peaceful and calm. She is nice. You are asked if you can stay passed your scheduled time in a kind fashion. Everything is okay aside from the fact that she admits to schedule people by the order that appears on her computer. "I see your name and I just click, click, click you into the available slots." People are scheduled for things they have never been scheduled for before in their careers. Weird, yet still calm, and a little funny.

Suddenly, as history repeats itself, there is a turn. Everyone is the enemy. You are to stay due to your availability, "so change your availability." Does not matter what your scheduled time is anymore. If you're available regardless of being scheduled for only 4 hours you are staying. "You will take a lunch today." "You will not take a lunch today." Also, people are being scheduled against their availability. Probably due to the fact that, surprise, people are going to change their availabilities to how they wish which isn't enough for anything to get finished. People get mad. People have their availabilities "denied." Availability on the kiosk is becoming a joke to your average team member and new ones. People throw fits as they are being scheduled over their unavailability still even after having a discussion. All hell breaks loose.

Long term leaders become frustrated with ETL. Anger and frustration is taken out on team members. Team members do not like the once lovable leaders anymore. Hours are drastically cut even further. No longer is flow scheduled for 3 truck days a week. Flow members are rotated and thinned out to about 2 truck days a week. Mass hire more people, less hours for everyone. Huddles become punishment as we are all reminded that we are basically worthless and nothing is getting finished. New team members walk away from the huddle right in the middle, very funny.

Presentation division loses all veteran team members. Presentation hours become non existent. Presentation leader quits, never replaced. New team members are scheduled for presentation and do not know what they are doing as there is no one to train them. When they ask the new ETL, the response is, "What do you think you're supposed to do with that." Complaints arise, fear is endured. No one is happy, no one has hours.

Is this the norm, or is it just my store?

Cannot find a full time position anywhere. Having 8-12 hour work weeks is virtually the equivalent of losing my job. Want to quit everyday because we are kicked out as there is almost more than half a truck to stock.

no, my store is going down hill too, maybe not in your exact situation but similar, and the stress is all the same.

The people in my old store tell me it has gotten even worse since I left almost a year ago. And it was terrible when I left. A couple Senior Team Leads have just handed their keys to the HR and walked out the door. They have been through 3 Food TL since I left, 2 HRs, 1 STL, and a half dozen Senior Team Leads. Both the stores near me look like crap, have empty shelves, no people on the sales floor and long lines at the lanes. The plus side for me is my wife does not like to shop at Target much anymore and when she does shes spends much less than she used to. On the negative side she just spends that money at other places lol.

This has been a pretty consistent trend for years now. My store looks so miserable despite our sales, and I'm seeing pretty consistently just maybe 3 or 4 closers with 4 hour shifts during a Saturday with 200K+ sales.

New ETL yelled at a poor team member trying to clock out at his scheduled time after having worked at his other job for 9 hours. If he stayed longer he wouldn't get much more than 6 hours of sleep just to get up and do his 2 jobs all over again. Guess they're going to fire him soon. Sad.

It was right in front of the time clock in the break room. Everyone on lunch or break heard the commotion. I don't understand how a ETL who does nothing but walk around talking about her kids and bragging about her pay can get away with such things. All of us are just slaves that don't matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back