New GM TL

I've been with my store for a little over a year now, started in Tech then went to the closing team for a while.
Store Director told me if I wanted it to apply for a new position that just opened at our store being the General Merchandise Team Leader role.
So I applied for it, went through two interviews with the GM ETL and the SD and the next day I got an offer for the position.
I accepted the offer and now I'm here newly promoted GM TL...any advice or suggestions anyone might have about the role or things to watch out for would be greatly appreciated!

I still have to go away for my training at another store but I'm looking for some early advice before I go train.
Guess I'm part of the leadership team now...this is gonna take some getting used to.

Congrats, hope you have a good team of gmtls and a good etl. Advice is really going to depend on what area you cover. The basics of gm is the same. Do what they ask you to do and hope ypu have time to do what you want to do. Document your performance conversations.

Congrats, hope you have a good team of gmtls and a good etl. Advice is really going to depend on what area you cover. The basics of gm is the same. Do what they ask you to do and hope ypu have time to do what you want to do. Document your performance conversations.
Gotcha I'll make sure to note down if/when I have these conversations.
Hopefully I do have time to do what I'd like to, a lot of areas are a mess and need to be fixed in GM. I have ideas if my GM ETL agrees with them.

Gotcha I'll make sure to note down if/when I have these conversations.
Hopefully I do have time to do what I'd like to, a lot of areas are a mess and need to be fixed in GM. I have ideas if my GM ETL agrees with them.
You’ll learn things as time goes on. You will get wiser with experience. Have patience, and a positive attitude, everything else will come in due time.

So wait how does TL training work? I heard you get sent away to train?

Usually, it cam be done in store too. It really depends i got like 3 days at my store. And ive seen people get 4 weeks, 2 weeks each at two different stores

So wait how does TL training work? I heard you get sent away to train?
Can you please get with HR and get details of your responsibilities, training expectations and pay. There’s nothing more off putting than a leader who is unsure and is second guessing themselves.

Can you please get with HR and get details of your responsibilities, training expectations and pay. There’s nothing more off putting than a leader who is unsure and is second guessing themselves.
We spoke just a while ago and he/she filled me in on all the juicy details.
I know what's going down now, looks like 2 weeks of training for me at another store.

Back