Archived New hire - called in but had an appt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a new hire, have only gone through orientation and my first training shift. Today I was called about picking up a checking shift and said that I had a drs appt that is supposed to take up a good portion of the day, which I do. I'm being tested for a few things. But am I going to get in trouble for this? They said I was on call but this is important to my health....they were nice about it, but I didn't say what was going on, it felt too personal and I don't think it would really matter to them.

Am I going to get in trouble for this? I can't miss this appointment, and it was right in the middle of the shift they wanted me there for. They also called me 20 minutes before they wanted me there, and I was not even awake at the time.

On Call??? I never heard a store dish that term out before.

If you were not scheduled, then you will not get in trouble.

Last edited:
Officially, no. No hourly employee at a store is ever "on call" in the manner that you HAVE to drop what you're doing if they want you to come in. However, they can be dicks about it and use it as an excuse to give someone else shifts. That depends entirely on the leadership of your store.

I thought the being "on call" thing was weird for target when they said that. There are 3 other new kids they said were on call as well, so I'm sure they can pick up the shift. I just don't want to get in trouble for this.

"On call"? How strange.

Unless you're officially scheduled for a shift, you're not responsible for it, and can't get in trouble for not covering it.

Target does not have people on call. They call people in at times when other call out but, you have no obligation to even answer the phone which is what most people do.

I think the only people that are on call are the ETLs just in case another ETL is out sick.

I think the only people that are on call are the ETLs just in case another ETL is out sick.

This. Only exempt employees (ETLs and higher) are "on call" because they are paid a salary and therefore don't work an hourly schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back