Archived New hire

Status
Not open for further replies.
First post on the break room. I have enjoyed this site since I got hired as a seasonal employee in November and now that I have a permanent job I decided to make an account. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about requesting days off? If I could do it from home or in store. And how much advance needs to be given prior to the day needed off. Thanks guys!

Greetings and salutations.

Welcome to The Break Room.

First post on the break room. I have enjoyed this site since I got hired as a seasonal employee in November and now that I have a permanent job I decided to make an account. I was wondering if anyone could tell me about requesting days off? If I could do it from home or in store. And how much advance needs to be given prior to the day needed off. Thanks guys!

Welcome!

I'm a new hire as well that's turned permanent. To request time off you have to wait until after your 90 days are up. You request time off at one of the work computers using the myTime self service, and the stores want the requests put in one month in advance. One of my team members requested time off but was denied just because she didn't put the request one month in advance. I'm not sure if your STL will be more lenient, but yeah that's pretty much the requirements for requesting time off as far as I know.

How did you guys find out you were staying on? I'm a seasonal hire as well and I really want to stay on. I'm nervous...

How did you guys find out you were staying on? I'm a seasonal hire as well and I really want to stay on. I'm nervous...

The way I found out was from a fellow seasonal hire. I was waiting to hear from HR or the STL, but instead a team member asked our TL and she told her that we were staying. The TL still hasn't told me to my face that I was staying, but we've talk about how the next few months were going to go, etc. So yeah, that's how I found out. But I think that if you work in hardlines then the STL or someone will tell everyone individually if they are staying or not. At least that's what happened at my store. But I've also heard that if you're still on the schedule, then you're pretty much staying. No news is good news.

Our STL did a huddle tonight, told all the seasonals that if they are still on the new schedule (1/11-1/17 I believe) then congratulations, they're permanent. Needless to say there were a couple faces not too pleased. Not the best way to tell people their time is up...

Our STL did a huddle tonight, told all the seasonals that if they are still on the new schedule (1/11-1/17 I believe) then congratulations, they're permanent. Needless to say there were a couple faces not too pleased. Not the best way to tell people their time is up...
Looks like I made the cut.

Gstl asked me if I was being kept, I said I don't know, she said she'd find out for me.
2 hours later I got called into tsc and the LOD offered me a permanent position.

So is there supposed to be a formal discussion or paperwork? I was informally asked while on the floor if I wanted to stay on by a TL a few weeks ago and that was it.

Odd, because they were skipping some of the hiring steps (background, drug test) to expedite seasonal hires... seems like they would want to go back and complete those for anyone offered permanent positions.

Only drug tests were eliminated for seasonal hires. Seasonals however would not be tested if they were kept on. They still did background checks.

At our store there's a sign on the schedule board that tells you when you have to have time off requests submitted by for the period 2 or so weeks ahead. Or something, I don't remember what the timeframe is, just that they put it in large letters the deadline. I think you have to do it at the store.

Speaking from personal experience, do the paperwork on the computer and let somebody know. Your TL, HR, whoever. Make sure they know you're doing it and why. Otherwise it'll probably get autodenied because nobody looked at it, then you gotta raise some hell to get it off or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back