Archived New In Role TL

Status
Not open for further replies.

mammoth

Sr.BRTL
Hello Breakroom,

I am a newly promoted Backroom TL and was just wondering if any leaders could give me some advice. The backroom team I am taking over is pretty experienced and the process is solid. We are one of the top stores in the district, score wise. But the previous leader was there for years and was one of the most respected leaders in the building so I know it will take some time to "win" the team over.

I am very familiar with the team but there are one or two TMs who I haven't always seen eye to eye with and I am sure there will be some jealousy when my promotion is announced. I am not completely familiar with the backroom processes and paperwork as I have mostly done flow my entire target career so it will take some time for me to get comfortable with the role.

Any general or Backroom specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

For on another thread:
One word: Respect. Give them the respect they deserve. Earn their respect. It doesn't matter how much you try to talk to them if they feel like you look down on them. Be genuine with recognition. Set realistic goal times. Find out what makes them tick. Listen. Even if you don't have time, make time for them. You want to make them feel valued while they are at work. Manners work wonders; it's amazing what a please and thank you will do for morale.

If you aren't why they think you are, then you need to find situations to show them who you are. I have a serious case of RBF, so my team didn't know what to expect at first. I found they were hesitant to let me know what was going on. It took time but they got used to it. My team knows I trust them and am behind them 100%. It works out for me, because all their hard work makes my life easier.

kingpin003, Mar 6, 2016

Piggybacking off what Hardlinesmaster said, respect is probably the key point. I don't think you'll have a problem with it, but trust your team members to know what they're doing and support their decisions. The worst thing you could do would be to micro manage or try to drastically change the current process on the turn of a dime, I've seen too many leaders try to reinvent the wheel only to fail and make the team resent the leader. Obviously, continue to identify areas of concern and come up with strategies to address those problem areas. Don't be afraid to get your hands dirty (literally and figuratively in the case of Backroom) because that's something that builds respect a bunch with a team. Always be approachable. Build up a camaraderie. Don't be afraid to discipline veteran team members for making poor decisions or deviating from best practices, even in all green stores there are going to be a lot of bad habits that can be corrected.

I'm sure there are many more, but that seems to be all I can think of at the moment.

I'm repeating what's already been said..RESPECT...treat them as you would expect to be treated...

Take the time to learn the daily routines/processes . Learn about the audits ( sda and reg audit ) they differ in size every day so it may take longer one day to do than the previous day . Talk with your team members ask them if there is anything they would like to see done differently ( within reason of course). You are new in role and to the back room process so don't be afraid to ask them questions. Don't be stingy with the praise....most people would be surprised how much a simple Thank you, or great job today means to someone . Treat your team like you would want them to treat you or a member of your family. Talk with them...not at them. Create an environment where your team feels comfortable coming to you with any issues. You can be a great leader without coming off like an ass ( wish more leaders within Spot would realize this ). Realize that curve balls are going to come your way in the back room ( ie truck size, bs from major reses etc) so set the example for your team on how to adapt on the go. Dont be afraid to work with your team. A leader should be able to get in there and help out every now and then...never let your team think that you feel working with them is beneath you.

As you're getting to know your team, take note of any ideas they have for improvement and consider implementing them (not right away). There is plenty that can be changed in the backroom to make things easier and more efficient, from routines and schedules to the physical location of shelves and wacos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back