New plastic carts?

E20D93B0-BDC0-49DB-BE04-F8D69060FBFF.jpeg Has anyone else seen these carts before? They recently appeared at a Target nearby and seem to be a revamped version of the older style plastic carts. This location already had the ‘newer’ plastic/metal carts with cup holders prior to these so seems odd that they replaced those already but maybe it’s some kind of test/pilot program?

I thought this was going to be about the all plastic kids target cart lol.

The only thing about the metal carts I don't like is the metal bar at the bottom of the rear of it. Sometimes if it have to stop the cart suddenly, my shin slams into it and it hurts a lot lol

We got new plastic carts somewhat recently, but they're a similar as the old ones and have round cupholders. I've never seen carts like that anywhere with a sort of "basket" for the baby that flips up...

We got new plastic carts somewhat recently, but they're a similar as the old ones and have round cupholders. I've never seen carts like that anywhere with a sort of "basket" for the baby that flips up...
Do they have like visible metal? Those are the ones basically all remodeled stores have. I've never ever seen these abominations.

Not really a big enough space on the bottom for larger items...looks too small even for diapers or toilet tissue. I like the revamped child seat. It looks like there is less likely a chance of the kiddo trying to get out and for teens to get in. 2 cup holders is also a good idea. Not sure I get the 2 handle bars on the side thing, but I'd have to see it in person and try it out. My biggest issue with all carts is that the handles are too high.

Having been a PML, the plastic carts are a nightmare from that perspective just because there were several points of failure on them. These look like they've fixed a few of the points of failure (the handles don't appear to be as prone to breaking, and the child seat looks a bit more sturdy), but unless parts are readily available, they'll be just as bad as the prior generations of plastic carts.

I did some more digging, these are indeed the next-gen carts that will be rolling out to stores over the upcoming years. Remodel/new stores will be receiving these carts first. This Minnesota store in particular was selected as a pilot store for the new Katy, TX store that opened today as the new Next-Gen store (Think of it as SuperTargets making a comeback).
I still think those carts look a little funky... but I suppose I can get used to them
Those pics look nice, and it'll be interesting to see how post covid remodels embrace the growth that fulfillment has had. My store is supposedly up for remodel at the end of the year, so curious to see how much of this we'll see or not see. Also, having grown up with supers all my life and worked at 2, I'm happy to see larger stores coming back. I never thought the smaller ones did enough to compete with the likes of walmart or local grocers

My PML was surprised these are the new design for carts. According to him, the cost of fixing these when they break isn't cheap so he thought they were going back to the metal ones.

My last store had the all plastic. They constantly shattered at the handle and lip because of constant impacts. easy to repair with new parts. Also the wheels were constantly getted farked up. The current ones we have have they grey granite like are so nice and the wheels rarly die.

I did some more digging, these are indeed the next-gen carts that will be rolling out to stores over the upcoming years. Remodel/new stores will be receiving these carts first. This Minnesota store in particular was selected as a pilot store for the new Katy, TX store that opened today as the new Next-Gen store (Think of it as SuperTargets making a comeback).

View attachment 14374

I wouldn’t call it a SuperTarget comeback, but I would say it is full chain stores making a comeback. The Katy store is 20K SF larger than a “traditional” PFresh, but 30K SF smaller than the last generation of Super Targets. The extra space appears to be going to OPU space, backroom replenishment space (surprising - considering they are constantly throwing Montel bays into our remodel stores, it’s almost like they see the flaws…), and finally their latest “shop within a shops” (Ulta, Disney, Apple.)

I may be in the minority, but I’m happy to see a “real” Target being the priority, and not small format stores.

My PML will be pissed when we get these, he was always fixing the old ones. Since we got the metal/plastic hybrids he has maybe had to replace a few wheels and only a handful have gotten to the point of being unfixable.

My PML will be pissed when we get these, he was always fixing the old ones. Since we got the metal/plastic hybrids he has maybe had to replace a few wheels and only a handful have gotten to the point of being unfixable.
^This.

I wouldn’t call it a SuperTarget comeback, but I would say it is full chain stores making a comeback. The Katy store is 20K SF larger than a “traditional” PFresh, but 30K SF smaller than the last generation of Super Targets. The extra space appears to be going to OPU space, backroom replenishment space (surprising - considering they are constantly throwing Montel bays into our remodel stores, it’s almost like they see the flaws…), and finally their latest “shop within a shops” (Ulta, Disney, Apple.)

I may be in the minority, but I’m happy to see a “real” Target being the priority, and not small format stores.

Would you say that it's similar to (Former) Target Greatland stores in terms of size? Target Greatland was sort of an in-between of Target and SuperTarget which were built in the 90s and early 2000s. They were similar in size to a Super, had two sets of doors like a Super, Checklanes in a row rather than stacked like a Super, but lacked the Bakery/Deli/Expanded Produce section that Supers had.

Would you say that it's similar to (Former) Target Greatland stores in terms of size? Target Greatland was sort of an in-between of Target and SuperTarget which were built in the 90s and early 2000s. They were similar in size to a Super, had two sets of doors like a Super, Checklanes in a row rather than stacked like a Super, but lacked the Bakery/Deli/Expanded Produce section that Supers had.
Based off 1 former Greatland location that I know of (that has since been remodeled, obviously), it’s close to Greatland size (130K SF.)

Back