Archived New Sales Floor Hardlines Team Member - A Few Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I had an interview at Target yesterday and at the end of the interview process, I was offered the job. I just need to wait for the background check. My orientation is next Friday, and I'm a little nervous about what to expect. This is my first "real" job (every other job I've had was at my college and I know for sure this job will be much more difficult).

My position is hardlines sales floor team member, but during the interview I was told I would have to use a register. I was hoping that I wouldn't have to do cashiering because I'm reserved and I feel like I'll have anxiety doing it. Do hardlines sales floor team members often have to do backup cashiering, or does the frequency of this depend on the store that I'm working at?

How hard would you guys say this position is? Is this a job where you'll constantly be servicing customers, or is it more about putting things on shelves and making sure the shelves are organized and clean? Also, for anyone who currently works this position, how long did it take you to get accustomed to all the duties?

Typically, how many days a week do you work? I asked for 40 hours a week, but I'm hoping they don't screw me over by giving me some short shifts so that I end up working 6 days a week rather than 5. I told them my availability was completely open because I'm currently not in school and have a lot of free time.

I know for sure yesterday was pay day because people were picking up checks when I was getting interviewed. If my orientation is next Friday, and Target pays bi-weekly, when should I expect my first check? I'm thinking I will have to wait 3 weeks (ugh!) but I'm sure you guys have a better idea of when I will get paid.

Thanks guys! I'm fresh out of college and needed a way to make some money before I go back to school in September for my master's degree. I'm glad I was given the job on the spot, but I am just so nervous. The Target store I will be working at not only has 2 floors, but is located in a mall too so I know things will get hectic.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say cashiering might depend on the kind of day it is. If its crazy, you'll get a lot of calls for back up. I didn't like cashiering at first since I had a hard time remembering what buttons to use to change the price, take a percentage off, change the receipt paper (etc.) but I got it eventually. It's not too hard, it's the easiest position there but not worth it (to me) dealing with guests and standing in one spot all the time.

You will love hardlines, I think it's better than most other positions since it doesn't get as busy as softlines and doesn't involve in depth interaction with guests like electronics does. It's 50/50 with putting things up and helping guests. (Depends on the time of the year) It took me about 2 months to get used to it since it was my first job too. What changed things up for me is using the myDevice/LPDA to search for items that we carry. Also, if you need any help just call your leader on duty and take them to a different channel. I guess those are the two things that I wish I knew when I first started. It helps a lot. You won't get 40hrs right off the bat, you might have about 20-30hrs. That's how many people get on average at my store. You will eventually on some weeks. Good luck!

Welcome to The Break Room.

Chances are you will be doing a certain amount of cashiering every day as backup because most stores don't schedule cashier heavy and use floor people to fill in the gaps (the big, big gaps).
The job involves a large degree of helping people.
CIHYFS means Can I Help You Find Something, you are supposed to ask that of every (guest) you come within a few feet of (and they are called guests instead of customers).
The putting things on shelves and keeping things organized is a very important part of your job, it just to be fit in around all of the other stuff.

Typically, how many days a week do you work? I asked for 40 hours a week, but I'm hoping they don't screw me over by giving me some short shifts so that I end up working 6 days a week rather than 5. I told them my availability was completely open because I'm currently not in school and have a lot of free time.
There is almost zero chance that you will get 40 hours as a sales floor TM, especially a new one. During orientation they will tell you about the swap shift board and hopefully show you where it is. You can pick up shifts there that other TMs want to give away, and use it to fill in the gap to get you closer to 40 hours.

I know for sure yesterday was pay day because people were picking up checks when I was getting interviewed. If my orientation is next Friday, and Target pays bi-weekly, when should I expect my first check? I'm thinking I will have to wait 3 weeks (ugh!) but I'm sure you guys have a better idea of when I will get paid.
If TMs were picking up pay checks yesterday, those would have been from the pay period ending 5/30. The next pay period would run through 6/13 (the day after your orientation) and the check would come on 6/19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back