Archived New seasonal cashier-want to be permanent

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am a new cashier hired for seasonal help. I really want to be kept on permanently after the holidays. How do I increase my speed & any suggestions on getting Red Card conversions. Any other suggestions on what I need to do to get put on permanently? I really need this job. Thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate it. I only have a short time to impress so I need all the help I can get, lol.

I'm in the same boat as you, but I was told encouraging things at orientation. In terms of speed, I'd say it just takes time. Don't rush too much because there's a higher risk for mistakes, which would make it worse. I think some basic tricks are saving the clothes for the end to take off hangers and fold while the guest is paying, so you don't have to hold up your timing doing it at the moment. Same with security wraps and cases, I tell my guest that I'll do it at the end and continue scanning. In terms of speed though, there's many factors that aren't up to you to control, so don't beat yourself up too much for those cases. For Redcards, I always make sure to ask every guest when they're in front of me (as opposed to unloading their cart at the end or such). Talk up the 5% savings, free shipping when they order online, and extra return window (especially with the holidays, this is a question I'm being asked often). Again, you can't control everything, but try to pursued and encourage what you can. Don't call in or show up late if you can. Just make a positive impression. At least, these are the things I'm trying to do. Best of luck to you!

I've been at Target for over 7 yrs (where did the time go?). Most of them cashier. I always tell new cashiers that for the first few days to a week to not worry about your speed. Just concentrate on what you're doing and the speed will come. When I was doing it full time (As of this past Dec I'm sales floor) I just took off hangers as I went which worked for me but you will find what works best for you. As far as red cards, that was never my strong suit so maybe someone else can answer that one.

As lovecats said, don't worry about speed at first -work on accuracy. With repetition, you'll get better & speed will come naturally.
Work on a good red card pitch - they'll love you if you can get lots of red cards.
Other things to do: if they ask you to come in or stay later, do it if you can. If you only have one or two days scheduled, let the HRTM know that you're available on xx days off in case there's a call-out (& there's ALWAYS call-outs this time of year). Work hard, avoid gossip & workplace politics, take training wherever & Whenever it's offered (the more you know, the more you can do).

Suspend the transaction if it comes to a standstill (say you need a GSTL to come over or something.)

Be very friendly with customers, ask every guest about the red card - Be friendly to work with, always come in when asked, offer to stay late, you get the idea.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back