Archived New Softlines Team Member, No Idea What To Do

Status
Not open for further replies.
so I've had three training sessions within the past week and I've pretty much learned nothing. All they've really had me doing was redoing the tables and reshop. Yesterday someone in the section I got put into asked if I was actually trained on anything else but those two things and when I said no she looked shocked. She took me around and was the first person to actually give me a tour of all of softlines, how the help buttons work, etc. However, today is my first day out of training and I literally have no idea what I'm supposed to do when I go in. Do I go back to the section I worked yesterday and tell them my situation? No one has explained anything to me (apparently this store is terrible at training people). They just tell me to show up. Thats it. No explanation on what I'm supposed to do when I come in, how to use the walkies or the mydevice. Nothing. All I know how to do is the tables and reshop. Please help me; what am I supposed to do when I come in today/everyday?

When you clock in, try and grab at least a walkie. If you can get an iPod, awesome but you can get by without it. Do you know who your TL is and when they work? If they're working when you are, check in with them and ask what the day's plan is. If they're not there, ask for the LOD and ask them.

Target's training is dodgy at times but you can get the hang of it if you pay attention and ask questions.

When you clock in, try and grab at least a walkie. If you can get an iPod, awesome but you can get by without it. Do you know who your TL is and when they work? If they're working when you are, check in with them and ask what the day's plan is. If they're not there, ask for the LOD and ask them.

Target's training is dodgy at times but you can get the hang of it if you pay attention and ask questions.
I've asked my LOD where I was supposed to go for one of my training days and she looked so offended that I even thought about asking her. I ask everyone plenty of questions all the time and I pay attention to what everyone does but at the same time I see them doing things that was never brought up or mentioned when I asked questions. But anyways, everyday when I go in am I supposed to find the LOD and ask what they want me to do or can I just go to my section and continue what I was doing the day before?

Always check in with the lod. There is no shame in asking questions. We were all new at one time. Do not suffer in silence, you will get frustrated and hate coming to work. That will happen soon enough, lol.

In our store softlines team members clock in, grab equipment, and head to operator. The FRO (fitting room operator) should be able to tell you if your TL is on the floor. If your TL is on the floor then you report to them and find out what they want you to do. Most softlines have 2 TLs and usually one of them is there but there are days or times when you come in that they are not present. Every shift of the day has dedicated responsibilities - at least in our store. Morning shift is focused on making sure the zone is tight for the day - tables folded, rack alignment done, floor picked up, outer presentation (racks facing the race tracks) are correctly zoned - when that is complete they move to go backs/reshop. Mid shift is focused on go backs/reshop and the midday zone (which is straightening tables and picking up the floor throughout their shift) and listening out for softlines CAF calls from the back room. Closers are focused on an in depth zone of their departments (not just a pick up but rather every rack is zoned by color, size, style and tables are folded and stacked by size). And everyone should be aware of guests in their areas and do their best to help them whenever they need it. I believe there is a handy dandy guide on this site. I'll have to see if I can find the link.

If the zone is tight and there are no go backs/reshop/CAFs (prior to closing shift) then we move to tasks that we don't get to do as often as we like - sorting & stacking panty bins in intimates; super zoning basics in all departments; cleaning mirrors and dusting mannequins; 4x4s in infant hardlines.... there is never "nothing to do".

My suggestion is to ask another softlines team member how it works at your store. I'm sorry to hear you've had to hit the ground running with so little training. It happens in a lot of stores unfortunately. Never be afraid to ask questions, though. It shows that you care and are willing to learn.

Out of curiosity, what shift do you typically work? Open, Mids, Close?

Target is so bad with training. It's sad.

Remember ASANTS! Our store generally does well with training but occasionally one of the trainers will miss something on the list of what to explain. We do, however, tell trainees to ASK questions any time they don't know something. ;)

Remember ASANTS! Our store generally does well with training but occasionally one of the trainers will miss something on the list of what to explain. We do, however, tell trainees to ASK questions any time they don't know something. ;)

I'm sure some stores actually train people but alot seem to throw us to the wolves and give dirty looks when you ask questions like you should know things

Keeping in mind ASANTS (All Stores Are Not The Same) as you read this. I work at a fairly large store.

I haven't been at Target very long, but do have some words of advice I would like to share since I also am a Softlines Team Member. This is based on my store's processes and may vary based on your location. I started off as a Seasonal Softlines recently Team Member and will be able to stay after the holidays! Yay!

When you arrive, you should clock in and then check the board above the clock, if you have one. If there isn't one, there will most likely be an LOD (Leader-On-Duty) behind the desk that you can talk to. If there is a break-down (paper with a list of who is working when for that day with notes on who works in what areas), refer to that first. There should also be a break schedule on the board. Try to take your breaks when you are scheduled to. For lunch, you have to take your break by your fifth hour or you will hit compliance. Since you have to clock out and back in for lunch and it is unpaid for that half hour, they will know when you are taking that break. For short shifts, you will only have 15-minute paid breaks. Once you are clocked in, take notes of your assignment for your shift, and when you should be taking your breaks. You must ask someone for access to the equipment room, and sign out your devices on the provided binder. AP (Assets Protection/Security) will check every once in awhile so always make sure you're doing this right. Usually an LOD will be available but other team members may be able to let you in as well (At my store they can). A walkie is very important to have, and I also recommend checking out a battery if you're going to have a longer shift. A MyDevice is not completely necessary in Softlines, but if your TL (Team Lead) asks you to help with PCV (Price Change Verification), you will need one for sure. Since you're not trained on PCVs yet, you probably won't have to worry about it. :) However, a MyDevice is helpful for helping guests because sometimes they will ask for a product that is on the Hardlines side of the store and you will have to check if it is in stock and where it is. If you don't have a MyDevice and a guest asks for an item location, consider calling someone on the walkie. More than likely the Operator (Fitting room attendant in Softlines who deals with phone calls to the store) will be able to switch over to the cordless phone and bring you one.

How to use the MyDevice:
You must create an eHR account to use the MyDevice. Your username is your TM# and your password is one you choose. The app you will use the most is "MyWork". To scan a product, you will wait for it to beep and then hold both side buttons down at the same time. Then, line the red light up with the product barcode until it scans and pops up.

GoBacks/Reshop/Returns: At the fitting room, there are baskets and a "Z-Rack". The Z-Rack is a rack for hanging Ready-To-Wear items. It is sorted by brand and location. There will be marked baskets for folded and other items in Softlines' zones. A foreign basket is taken care of by Hardlines, and taken up to Guest Services as it is filled at my store.

Operator: There are about five of us Softlines Team Members at my store that are trained on being Operator, myself included. When the phone rings, you have to greet the guest by saying the store location and by asking them how you can assist them. Most times, guests will be asking for products and if they can be put on hold. Other times, you will have to transfer calls. Always make sure the team member you are transferring calls to is available to take that call by asking them on the walkie. Use the walkie often for anything you need, because they are an essential communication device and can help you make sure you're completely assisting guests and letting TLs and LODs know when you're going on break/lunch so they don't call for you when you turn your walkie off.

My advice is to get to know other team members. I haven't been at Target long, but have many team members in several departments that I can rely on. It also is nice to have someone to talk to at the fitting room when I am sorting my GoBack basket from my zone instead of an awkward silence. The last thing I would like to mention is that when you zone, you should first grab a basket and then place foreign (items that do not belong in your zone) and repack (items that are missing price tags or need to be packaged again). Once the basket is full, work out the items that are from your zone that actually belong in the zone (usually clearance items may be moved by guests to other racks, for example). Then, take the rest of the items to the fitting room to sort and give to the operator to repack. If any items are broken, ripped, or defective, place them in the foreign basket. For clothes, you may have to tie a knot in them first. HBA in my store is both Softlines and Hardlines and is called "the Hardlines Baby Aisles". You may be assigned this zone, unless they are the Health and Beauty Aisles at your store. Shopping is when a guest places foreign items in your zone. For shoes and backstock, here is some important info: Shoes will have empty boxes because sometimes shoes are taken from their boxes to be moved to the display. If that happens, take the empty box to the trash located in the backroom by the travel aisles. Then, take the empty basket back to the sales floor and put it away. For backstock, take the items that are too loaded on the sales floor (say for example there's 10 shirts on the table and they're toppling over each other.) Take a few of them back to the backroom (Softlines backroom by the Men's/Electronics aisles) and then place it on a flat rolling bin and label it as backstock and take it over to the appropriate (labelled) zone backroom location. Don't be afraid to ask questions though! More than likely, a more experienced member of your team will be wanting you to ask questions instead of silently suffering. Hope this helps!

Refer to this thread for more detailed information on zoning: https://www.thebreakroom.org/threads/softlines.25/

Last edited:
The Target I just started at is terrible at training too... No one would even explain the learning plan to me which I found incredibly frustrating.
What I have done so far is to just ask the Team Members that have been there for years a lot of questions. I would rather look annoying asking questions than to not know how to do my job.
Good luck!!!

ASANTS, but in my store, the fitting room operator kinda leads the team for closing shifts. I'll partner with the LOD and get the breakdown for the night, but the rest is up to me (I'm primarily an electronics team member, but trained as a brand team member, so I have more experience/training than simply sales floor). I've had a bunch of seasonal team members come in, and I try to explain what I can when we have downtime. I keep an eye on the reshop, do all the sorting and defectives, numbers, etc, and try to keep an eye on the other softlines team members, letting them know when there are go backs for them to grab & helping when they have questions.

I remember being so overwhelmed when I started! I wish I'd had this thread to help me know what to do. :) I don't really have much to ad. Just breathe and know it'll take you some time to find your groove. My anxiety was really, really bad when I started because of zone expectations and being the operator, but now I know how long it takes for me to do stuff and what needs the most attention, so can relax and have fun!

In my store, the LOD never, ever gets involved with what we call the breakout in softlines. The TL does it and if she's not there or hasn't done it in advance the most experienced TM does it. Our LODs have no idea how we even divide up zones. Our seasonals all had a week of training/shadowing our TL or a trainer and they kind of learn as they go. The fitting room operator does kinda sorta lead the team at night but it depends who is working.

@Nazy I'm impressed! A fitting room operator/electronics tm? That would never happen at my store. Our electronic tms only work in electronics except one or two who also work in the backroom. They would never want to get within 10 feet of softlines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back