Archived Newb with some questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally, I was hired on a1 outbound but a couple days later was told I would be b2 inbound. What will I be doing in inbound?

Also, when I had my interview they asked about any upcoming vacations I had planned and I told them about one in sept. Do I just ask the gl how to go about asking off?

And lastly (for now), does anyone have a ballpark figure for what health insurance costs are for a worker + spouse. Just curious.

Thanks!!

Inbound is basically the opposite of outbound. In outbound you load trucks all day, or you throw cartons off of pallets and carts in depal. In inbound you unload trucks and build pallets and carts.

All freight comes to the DC from vendors via loaded inbound trailers. It is inbounds job to unload these trailers and recieve in the correct quantities of the merchandise.

As far as vacation, yes you are right, ask your GL. He or she will have a vacation calender somewhere that has everyones requested vacation days on it. As long as those days arent already booked up, he or she will write your name down on the days you want off. Then it is your job to fill out a PAR (Pay Action Request) form and have them sign off on it, then turn it in to HR.

Honestly I dont know about the insurance. My wife has cheaper insurance through her job, so we use it instead.

Nice to see some more DC guys join here btw. Welcome to the breakroom!

Thanks for your response! I asked one of the hr people during orientation about vaca and they said it has to be accepted because it was known prior to hire.

Also, during orientation they said something about mass vaca request period or something to that effect. When is that for 2016?

Thats cool.

I cant remember exactly when they do mass vacation sign ups, but i do know its towards the end of the year, like november-december. They just give everyone vacation forms that you can list different dates you would like to take vacation. Then they just go by seniority as to who gets what dates off.

You can also list the dates by priority. So if you and someone else with higher seniority both sign up for the same date, but you listed it as your first priority, and they listed it as their third, youll most likely get it.

HRA (TM+Spouse)
$4,141.32 annually ($159.28 biweekly, $79.64 weekly)

HSA (TM+Spouse)
$2,562.00 annually ($98.54 biweekly, $49.27 weekly)

source: My pay and benefits(login) >> Health Tab>> Decision Guide (off to the right)>> 2015 decision guide (right under important to know)
Lots more info in that location.

Great!! Thanks again for the responses. Excited to start here! The other distribution job I had wasn't the best (dirty conditions, pissed off employees all the time, just doom and gloom), and target seems a lot better!

First week is good! Really liking inbound. Next week I'm in art and I may change my tune.

I'll make sure to put some Non-con in the middle of some trailers for ya.. :) #outbound

Word of advice, work hard in Inbound, make a name for yourself, then post to Warrhousing ASAP lol. I like Warehousing department so much better.

What do you do in warehousing? Isn't there a different pay grade over there.

As far as I know, Outbound, Inbound, Warehouse, and non-packing MBP roles are all the same pay grade. But Warehouse is a lot more stress-free, or so I'm told. Posting over to there is always quite tempting....

Trainer might know more of the nitty gritty, but the core roles for warehouse are:
  • Cartonnaire - Picking cartons in an order picker to be later thrown in Depal
  • Hand Puts - Backstocking in an order picker reserve carts coming from Inbound and reinstate carts from elsewhere in the building
  • Full Pallet - Think cartonnaire, but dealing with entire pallets and a reach truck instead
  • Rack Puts - You can probably see where this is going...Hand Puts, now with a added reach truck zing
  • Bulk - Picking/backstocking larger pallets and PIPO using an RC lift truck
On top of that, there's also specialty roles. These are usually more demanding roles where you interact and assist the other departments. Usually given to TM's showing excellent production, teamwork, and typically higher seniority.
  • GPM (General Pallet Movement) - These guys move pallets to wherever they're needed. Reserve out of Inbound, Sort to Outbound, empties to the pallet yard, etc. Drives Crown PR triples.
  • Tugger - Like GPM'ing, only they move cage carts around the building using a tugger
  • Inventory management (IM) - DC reverse logistics. Deals with damages, screwy labels and are usually the ones to help you out in your occasional wtf moment
  • Noncon - All the core roles, applied to non-conveyable freight.

Do you guys in the RDC ever get to do functions outside of your department? Or do they just NWA/VLE you?

Do you guys in the RDC ever get to do functions outside of your department? Or do they just NWA/VLE you?
Only if we're cross-trained in another department. But we'll often switch roles within our department as needed. IE, a Warehouse TM might start the shift as cartonnaire, but then switch over to full pallet or hand puts to accommodate our production plans.

Yes like beast said. And unlike the stores, at the DCs all production team members make the same pay regardless of which department you work in.

Yes like beast said. And unlike the stores, at the DCs all production team members make the same pay regardless of which department you work in.
Yeah, I work at an IW and it works about the same. Much smaller teams though so things are a bit different for us, we don't have a warehousing department and it's not uncommon for us to work outside our departments.

first few weeks have gone well. It seems like most are banished to ART. The SGL came up to me on the line the other day and said I was doing an awesome job. That definitely felt good.

Nothing. You only get a raise for your annual review (April-ish) and a promotion to a higher paygrade.
Oh, I keep being told by the folks that have been there for years that after 90 days I'll get a pay bump that pretty much covers insurance (granted that's not why you get it). I thought when I was hired they said that the pay increase schedule was about every six months till you cap at 3 years. I just didn't know what the increase was at this point, if any I guess. We all got 22 cents June 1st for the annual thingy.

Oh, I keep being told by the folks that have been there for years that after 90 days I'll get a pay bump that pretty much covers insurance (granted that's not why you get it). I thought when I was hired they said that the pay increase schedule was about every six months till you cap at 3 years. I just didn't know what the increase was at this point, if any I guess. We all got 22 cents June 1st for the annual thingy.

Oh wait, I just realized that you're in a DC, and therefore probably have a different system. My bad!

For clarification for all the store-side guys: All DC production TMs (that's IB, OB, Warehouse and MBP) are on a progression pay system. I believe the progression is every three months, for 24 months before you hit top-out pay, and then have to rely solely on the annual wage survey for raises. The amount likely varies state-to-state, and I think it increases with wage survey increases. I think where I'm at, it's like 35-ish cents/progression or somewhere thereabouts.

For clarification for all the store-side guys: All DC production TMs (that's IB, OB, Warehouse and MBP) are on a progression pay system. I believe the progression is every three months, for 24 months before you hit top-out pay, and then have to rely solely on the annual wage survey for raises. The amount likely varies state-to-state, and I think it increases with wage survey increases. I think where I'm at, it's like 35-ish cents/progression or somewhere thereabouts.
Thanks! Our survey this past year got us .22. I was cool with it since I just started but the other tm's sid that's the lowest it's been in a while.

For DCs yes, you get a raise every 90 days until you hit 2 years, then you top out. After that target does a wage survey every year which usually results in a small raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back