Archived Newly Promoted GSTL; TM not taking me serious

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarjae18

GSTL
So I've worked for Target for 2 years now. I started as a cashier then Service Desk/Photo Lab and now I just got promoted to GSTL. They came to me for the position. Well I really enjoy my job its just now the same people I use to talk to and vent to I am now their TL. So I'm noticing when I asked them to do something they take their time or just don't even do it. Especially with me only being 19 some of the older people dont respect my authority. How do I get them to take me seriously??????

Wait for them to die off so that the only ones who are left are the ones who don't remember you being a TM?

One of the biggest challenges for someone who has been promoted is how to assert authority over people you were just on the same level with a few days before (and it doesn't help that you are younger than many of them).
Keep in mind that your bosses saw something in you that they felt meant you could be a decent supervisor.
Perhaps it was a certain maturity, the ability to lead by example, to show how things should be done and to guide people in the right direction.

There's a big difference between telling people what do and letting them know that something needs to be done.
If they respect you, when you tell them that something needs to be taken care of, they'll go do it.
If you ask them, say please, even though it's clearly an instruction, people are more likely to go along.

People respect cool consistency, if you seem like someone who is on the edge of panic or can't seem to give the same answer from one day to the next they aren't going to listen to you after a while.
Be transparent, let folks know why you are doing things certain ways.
You don't have to go into a lot of detail and you don't have to explain every damn thing but be ready to have a reason or at least know why your doing it.

Most of all look people in the eye.
It seems a bit silly to say this, but if you want to get results make sure they are hearing you and understand what you are saying.
Making sure they are looking at your face and that you have their full undivided attention will make a difference.
If their attention (and respect) wanders drag it back.

We had a problem on my team. All of the GSAs were passed up for an open GSTL spot (twice, but that's another topic) for a mid-30's female service desk TM.

She was great at Guest Service. She was polite, but knew when to turn on bitchface mode. She had no trouble following policy and procedure. Then she got promoted to GSTL, and all she did was follow policy and procedure. That was her downfall. When the majority of your cashiers are either 17 year old high school kids, or 60 year old grandmothers, you can't sit there and try to coddle them. If you look at them with that dumbass grin on your face telling them that they have to get 10 redcards today or they'll be written up, you're going to have a bad time. It was bad enough that she tried messing with the GSA schedules (we had worked with our ETL-GE to get a rotating weekend/239 schedule) and decided to start making us clopen and work every weekend, then she started micromanaging US... sheesh.

I digress. The best TL I ever had was someone who made GSTL before he turned 21. Be real, but be polite. Don't be a dick. Make sure they know you're in charge, but cut people some slack. Do you know who the hard workers are? Send them to do the fun things like push candy or zone one spot. Do you have a bottom performer on your team that is bored of cashiering? Cool, send them to push or zone every now and then. Seek out someone who has high potential and throw them in guest service.

Be dynamic, but be effective. Just don't be a dick.

You'll do extremely well! Mine that were once regular TMs turned out to be wonderful gstls

Congrats!I had the same problem last year when I was promoted 2 months before my 19th birthday. I ensured they understood who was in charge but was not a dick about it. Be prepared for complaints, I had several but those TMs are gone now.

Any time a team gets a new boss, they are worried about how the culture will be changing. So it's important that as you are trying to establish yourself, set new expectations, and make the necessary changes you communicate well with the team. The best advice I can give is to make sure you give your team respect. It's tough taking over a new team, but don't forget that it's stressful for the team members you are leading. I've always lead with the idea that I want my team to feel valued and empowered to be themselves. Establish rapport on an individual level and find out what the team knows currently and what they want to do. If someone wants to take on more responsibility and isn't meeting cashier speed expectations, you can then have that conversation. Let them know that you would like to see them improve their speed and what to expect if they are able to do so. Give them a time frame, and make sure you follow through on your promises. You want the team to see your word is valued and that they can trust you. It's going to take time, but they will come around. You just have to set firm guidelines, reward them for meeting your expectations, and don't be afraid to pull them aside for serious conversations if they are refusing to do parts of their job. As a leader, you are responsible for the tasks you delegate to them, so it falls on you if they are not completing them.

Any time a team gets a new boss, they are worried about how the culture will be changing. So it's important that as you are trying to establish yourself, set new expectations, and make the necessary changes you communicate well with the team. The best advice I can give is to make sure you give your team respect. It's tough taking over a new team, but don't forget that it's stressful for the team members you are leading. I've always lead with the idea that I want my team to feel valued and empowered to be themselves. Establish rapport on an individual level and find out what the team knows currently and what they want to do. If someone wants to take on more responsibility and isn't meeting cashier speed expectations, you can then have that conversation. Let them know that you would like to see them improve their speed and what to expect if they are able to do so. Give them a time frame, and make sure you follow through on your promises. You want the team to see your word is valued and that they can
This is really going to help me thank you so much for all your responses. They really do help !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back