Archived No more Live Paychecks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard any information about this? We were informed at the huddle this morning that Target is stopping paper checks. I have direct deposit so I don't have to worry about it. But i heard the options are direct deposit or something similar to a pre-paid credit card that your cheek will be deposited into. Anyone else heard of this taking place?

Has anyone heard any information about this? We were informed at the huddle this morning that Target is stopping paper checks. I have direct deposit so I don't have to worry about it. But i heard the options are direct deposit or something similar to a pre-paid credit card that your cheek will be deposited into. Anyone else heard of this taking place?

Havent heard of anything like that but I would imagine it would cut down cost of paper/ink, shipping charges ect ect. Seems like a logical idea to me...

I would have direct deposit If I knew how to set it up..

Wow, haven't heard anything about this.
Maybe it's being rolled out for certain areas as a test.
Sounds interesting, curious to see what kind of SNAFU's could result.
Couldn't be any worse than the usual check issues.

If you are an ETL how would you not know this info?

Anyway - my store was actually a pilot store for this for like 8 months. Basically they give you what is called a Visa payroll card.

This is the information on it from Visa:

http://usa.visa.com/corporate/corporate_solutions/payment/payroll.html

I don't know if they changed it from the pilot or not since I am not with Target anymore, but I got one and it sucked ass. They had fees for all kinds of BS. Also you have *no way* of getting paper cash money without going to an ATM, and then they charge you more fees.

Also the rumor was that every time you bought something target got like a .2% kickback. (not from you, visa gives them money) So every time you use it to buy something Target actually makes money off you lol.

Last edited:
It's easy. I think the info is available via ehr.

The part where it ask for like percent here and some other not so obvious things that I just didnt feel like dealing with at the time lol. I may just ask for help but I dont mind picking up my check so I havent bothered.

The part where it ask for like percent here and some other not so obvious things that I just didnt feel like dealing with at the time lol. I may just ask for help but I dont mind picking up my check so I havent bothered.

I haven't done it in awhile, but it's pretty simple.

"Percent" and "Order" (I think was the other) is for depositing in to multiple accounts. Some people to half savings, half checking, etc.

Basically, if you have 1 account you're putting your whole check into, you put "100" for percent.

That is probably one of the dumber moves I've seen Corporate do lately. Here's a couple of questions that a site posted about Payroll Cards like this...

"Do I get the same consumer protections with the payroll card that I would have with a card tied to a checking account? Federal law protects consumers with bank accounts when electronic funds transfers are made. It sets limits on how much money you can lose if a card linked to your bank account is stolen and used by a thief. Federal law also requires that your bank must “recredit”, that is, return funds removed from your bank account by theft or by mistake within 10 business days, unless the bank can show that there was no theft or mistake. The Federal Electronic Fund Transfer Act provides these protections. Since July 1, 2007, federal law gives you these protections, other than a monthly statement, for a payroll card established by an employer to deliver recurring wages, salary, or other employee compensation.

You may be told that you will be protected from theft by a VISA or MasterCard “zero liability” policy. The VISA and MasterCard policies do not give you the same protection as the federal Regulation E protections. The VISA and MasterCard policies have exceptions. These policies don’t give you zero liability in all cases. For example, MasterCard’s policy does not apply if a card is used more than two times in one year to steal from you. VISA’s “zero liability” policy does not apply when the card is used at an ATM. VISA’s policy also does not protect you if the card is used “outside the VISA system.” Retailers choose whether to process a purchase made with the card through VISA or through a different processor. VISA’s “zero liability” policy says it doesn’t apply if your card is used by a thief at an ATM or at a retailer that doesn’t process the card through VISA."

So if somebody steals your wallet, instead of having Target reprint you a paycheck like the old days, then it's just too bad. This is one heck of a way to save money on ink. Telling your employees that they aren't good enough to bother giving them a paycheck.

Here are some of the possible fees that some team members may have to deal with:

• A fee after a certain number of transactions.
• A fee for using the card at an ATM.
• A surcharge to the ATM owner.
• A POS fee for use at a point of sale such as a store.
• A fee for not using the card for a period of time (inactivity fee).
• A fee to replace the card.
• A fee when funds are put on the card account (load fee).
• A fee to get your money back by check if you don’t like the card.

Last edited:
I worked for Kohl's a couple of years ago and this is exactly how we were paid there. The "debit" cards seemed like a huge rip-off to me.

I had not heard that they were doing away with paper checks/direct deposit stubs. My store has been promoting going paperless for a couple of years now. I went paperless over a year ago and it's great. I don't have to remember to pick up that stub anymore, sometimes there would be five or six of them before I'd get to them. Also if I need a paper copy of my pay check I can just print one out at work, it's pretty easy. I wouldn't want the "debit" or payroll card. I had one with a second job I had last year and it worked great, except for the fact that I no longer work for them and there is still about $.16 left on my card with no way to get it.

At walmart we have direct deposit or a pay card. Few get paper checks, but its somewhat "unoffical" and they prefer you go paperless.

I've been getting direct deposit since my time at targe.t

Direct deposit into your own account, Direct deposit into Target National Credit Union account which will be opened up for you, or Target Paycard (accepted wherever Visa is accepted). This is going to get interesting.

you can still opt for the paper check - but the way it's worded, it looks like they would rather you choose the other options.

My guess is that paper checks will be going away - just don't know when.

My store has been pushing direct deposit and paperless stubs by offering free reusable bags. I really couldn't care less about a Target bag that would otherwise cost a dollar, I just want my damn check!

This is just a rumor by the way. I was told that Target has no plans to force tms to go paperless. It will be an option, and they will try to persuade everyone to choose it, but they will NOT be enforcing it. I got this from my HRTL and since he's leaving Target he has no reason to lie about it. Personally I think it's a good idea. People who get SSI have to have their check either direct deposited or on a debit card. The world is trying to get more paperless.

This is just a rumor by the way. I was told that Target has no plans to force tms to go paperless. It will be an option, and they will try to persuade everyone to choose it, but they will NOT be enforcing it. I got this from my HRTL and since he's leaving Target he has no reason to lie about it. Personally I think it's a good idea. People who get SSI have to have their check either direct deposited or on a debit card. The world is trying to get more paperless.

I saw something about it in "News to use."

No, this is actually not true, people can continue to get a paper check or direct deposit or get the Target Paycard.

No, paper paychecks were ALWAYS allowed, EVEN with the Pilot. Now it's rolling out company-wide, and continues to allow for people to get paper paychecks.
If you are an ETL how would you not know this info?

Anyway - my store was actually a pilot store for this for like 8 months. Basically they give you what is called a Visa payroll card.

This is the information on it from Visa:

http://usa.visa.com/corporate/corporate_solutions/payment/payroll.html

I don't know if they changed it from the pilot or not since I am not with Target anymore, but I got one and it sucked ass. They had fees for all kinds of BS. Also you have *no way* of getting paper cash money without going to an ATM, and then they charge you more fees.

Also the rumor was that every time you bought something target got like a .2% kickback. (not from you, visa gives them money) So every time you use it to buy something Target actually makes money off you lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back