Archived Not giving a shit about redcards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullselle

Softy
I pick up cashier shifts every now and then, once or twice a week. Now I know that the GSAs are under an insane amount of pressure to sell redcards and that they're important to store metrics and whatnot. But at some point between starting here and not loving it here, I completely ran out of fucks to give about selling redcards.
I still try to ask every single guest, especially if an ETL or GSA is watching me, but I know it's much harder to sell if my heart isn't in it. On top of that, I don't think I'm fake enough to pretend to care about redcards when they've become the bane of my cashier shifts.

I know, I know. If I hate selling redcards so much, why don't I just stop taking cashier shifts? Well I need the money, and HR is not really willing to get me cross trained in other areas. I already asked.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who feels like this!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you aren't trying to get redcards, eventually the tls will stop approving any swaps where you're taking a cashier shift.

Problem solved.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you aren't trying to get redcards, eventually the tls will stop approving any swaps where you're taking a cashier shift.

Problem solved.
I wish that were true. Our site constantly allows one tm who is a diabetic with crazy issues consulting his sugar levels to take cashier shifts instead of his usual hardline shifts. Faster pace leads to quick crashing...no matter how many times we ask/insist they not let him take harder shifts.

Problem solved.

I do try. As I said in the post, I try to ask every guest for redcards. The problem is that my heart is not in it so I feel like that affects whether the guest actually takes the red card or not.
A lot of cashiers and GSAs get redcards by being pushy or really acting like a sales person, and I don't want to have to act like that just because we have a quota to fill.

A couple points. 1. We don't sell redcards. 2. If it is so important that we achieve red card goals, make them mandatory to get the sale price.
3. If Bullselle is picking up shifts for cashiering, it may mean they don't have enough cashiers already.
4. I don't care about redcards. Can I be exempt from going up to backup cashiering like flow and backroom? Pog and signing here. I could get a lot more done if I wasn't spending up to an hour on the register everyday.

Well I need the money, and HR is not really willing to get me cross trained in other areas. I already asked.
HR is not who you go to to get crosstrained. Go to the Pricing and Presentation TL and ask if they could use anybody. When big sets like Back to School come up they often need extra help. A smart PPTL will have a crew of maybe 5 or 6 regulars for Presentation, and 3 or 4 backups they've trained that they can call on for big sets or when a regular is out sick or on vacation.

Or go to the softlines or hardlines TL and express your interest in working on the floor.

Wherever you get trained you may only get shifts here and there, but when someone quits you're a known quantity ready to step in to a more permanent position.

I dont like anything about redcards and i never will. They can fire me before I try and get a redcard they wont even train me as cashier so it is a moot point
They are going to get in trouble over this eventually. It is not a debit card and they tell people that it is. It is either a credit card or an EFT.

I dont like anything about redcards and i never will. They can fire me before I try and get a redcard they wont even train me as cashier so it is a moot point
They are going to get in trouble over this eventually. It is not a debit card and they tell people that it is. It is either a credit card or an EFT.

Heck, I ask people if they would like to apply for either a Target debit card or credit card. Those are the options that pop up on the screen once I scan the booklet.

I hate them too. I have weeks where it's all I can do to beg people to sign up for one. As long as I have at least one, I have the TLs off my back. And there are weeks when I get a few each shift. Our store does decent 'incentives' for RC sign ups most weeks, so I rather like the benefits of getting sign ups.

So I only really care when my store offers something to make it worth my time.

Last edited by a moderator:
nah as a cashier ive given up. there's usually like two or three cashiers at my store who get most of the redcards at our store. it's a shame really. everyone has given up.

You aren't the only one. Eh am I going to ask hey would you like to save 5 percent on this 5.00 purchase or this 1.00 purchase ( oh come on!) that is literally insane.... literally insane! People wouldn't even want to waste a check!

I'm Hardlines so I only cashier when I'm up for backup, and I've only gotten 2 people to sign up for RedCards in the almost 2 years I've been working. I have to be in a VERY good mood to ask, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back