Archived Not willing to stay unless......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a seasonal cashier. I love the job, although it severely interferes with my school work (Chemistry Pre-Pharmacy Major :sorry::beat:). I'm fine with the pay as this is my first job and New Jersey is raising the minimum wage in January to 8.25. I know hours will be cut for everyone in retail because that hike is crazy. If they do decide to keep me after the 90 days, I don't want to be a cashier anymore. I've been applying for pharm tech/clerk positions since my last year in high school. It's my major, it's what I want to do, it's everything I breathe, and everything I would die for. The pharmacy is short staffed, but there is no sign of me ever getting in there. I've already thrown two hints; short, but meaningful hints. I just want to know how to proceed. There are literally like 6 pharmacies in my area that I wouldn't mind working in.

Questions:
1. What should I do?
2. Is there a chance I can get the job?
3. If I don't get asked to stay after the season, can I reapply?
4. What pay grade are pharm clerks & techs?

I am friendly. Sometimes I'm overly "fake" friendly in my opinion, but people say I'm so nice (I eavesdrop a lot). Even my ETL-GE said I'm such a darling. The pharmacist, however, looks and sounds like someone who doesn't want to be bothered. Many people have said the pharmacist is so picky and rude. Does anyone know the paygrade level for pharm techs?

On the pharmacist issue, get to know who is the etl pharmacist is, ask do you need anything or say hi, my name is hlm, etc on a daily basis. If they start know you & help them out is a foot in the door.

Wait, what? I make more than 8.25 and am in NJ. Not a cashier, though, so maybe that's why? Or maybe the differences between stores in the same state are more different than I thought.

But on the Pharmacy thing, talk to one of your pharmacists. A work-friend of mine was chummy with one of our pharmacists and he asked her if she wanted to be cross-trained. I'm sure with your background, at the very least, you could be cross-trained and get shifts there

Trust me, Target can certainly afford to pay you wayyy more than $8.25/hr. That hike is not "crazy," especially considering they literally profit tens of millions of dollars after all expenses each and every quarter. They just don't want to pay you more, that's all. Follow your dreams and don't settle for being a pharm. tech at target-- the pay is garbage. BUT use it as a tool to get exp (if you can), and continue pursuing opportunities. Best of luck to you, darling! haha :)

You should do it, Pharm Tech is a pg 13 last I checked, same as a team lead. Does your state require certification? If so, you should get ptcb certified first. Once certified, you can totally request to transfer there.

My state doesn't require certification. The pharm techs that work there now aren't even certified. YES, I asked. I don't understand what the problem is. It feels like some sort of weird joke. What can I do?

Pharm Tech is I think PG13 at my store. It is definitely higher than a 9 or else I wouldn't've lusted over the position so much (my availability wasn't a good fit).

PG13 is Pharmacy Tech, certified is still PG13+$1, TL for Pharmacy (if you have one) is PG15, +$1 if they are certified. @SeniorAP: actually, Target pays pharmacy techs good. If you check CVS, Wallgrens, RiteAid,... those places pay their techs like our TMs on the floor, and at Target you can make $35-45k with full time.

My advice is... if you are going to speak with ETL-Rx prepare yourself... having the major in chemistry and pharmacy is not good enough for Target Pharmacy! Check the vibe score for OTC and Pharmacy at your store. When you talk about yourself, talk about your VIBE moments more, because pharmacy is all about vibe vibe vibe. That is reason that Rx has higher vibe goal than rest of the store, 85 for green, while the store is, I think 70 or 75.

As a part-timer, a tech without experience is apparently a huge liability instead of an asset. They don't have the training hours to train you correctly, and are understaffed so you work at what you can do - then get tossed under the bus when you still haven't been trained how to do things... like enter things on the computer.

I think a part-time tech would only have a big chance coming in with experience unless it was a slow time.

Due to a variety of things outside of my control (I dropped into a really UGLY situation it seems), I'm moving out of the pharmacy and into cashier, keeping my pay rate. They are unwilling to do the training - and i'm 99.9% sure it is because someone from a Target up north moved down here and applied after they offered me the job. Why train me when they have someone that did it on another store's dime?

In my state there are schooling requirements for techs to be registered/licensed. Certification is not required except by certain employers. As for Target, if you don't have that schooling, I gather you have to do their training book, and it is supposed to be done within a certain time frame while working. I would take it as they aren't willing/wanting to put all that time and effort into someone that isn't looking at it as a "career move".

Trust me, Target can certainly afford to pay you wayyy more than $8.25/hr. That hike is not "crazy," especially considering they literally profit tens of millions of dollars after all expenses each and every quarter. They just don't want to pay you more, that's all. Follow your dreams and don't settle for being a pharm. tech at target-- the pay is garbage. BUT use it as a tool to get exp (if you can), and continue pursuing opportunities. Best of luck to you, darling! haha :)

Actually, like CrazyTarget stated, we pay techs more than CVS, the "two Ws", and Osco, regardless of certification. I applied (just for the heck of it) at a couple other pharmacies and was asked if I'd be willing to take a pay cut. When I asked "How much of a pay cut?" it was SIGNIFICANT!!! I said "Ummm.....NO!!!" Even WITH certification, I'd be making $3 LESS than what Spot pays WITHOUT certification....

I am looking at is as a "career move". I obviously want to become a pharmacist. I am dying to become a pharm-tech. I understand the liability thing, but that is what training is for. I can easily take the test (which I will be doing in April) and pass it without the course. They need a tech so what is the problem? If none of the other techs are certified and I am willing to do it, seriously what is the problem? My hours are perfect for them. I don't like to be told one re-assuring thing, to never hear the other part of story when I'm actually ready. I've been in a "born ready" state of mind about this because I know I am capable of doing anything I set my mind to.

Go to every Target in your area and tell them what's going on. You're a seasonal cashier at T#xxx, and the pharmacy is unable to take you on to train you. Ask about their volumes, and if they are in need of anyone in the pharmacy - even a pharmacy cashier. Mention you're pre-pharmacy status, and mention specifically why you love RX. They're going to say "how do you know you love it if you have no experience" - be prepared to answer that question. Everyone wants to go into RX because of the money, but it's not a job many people wind up staying in forever unless it's something they truly love to do.

Have you looked to see if there are any pharmacy openings at other Spots in your area? People always ask us if we're hiring, and I save my breath and say, "no." But the truth of the matter is that they were looking for a pharmacy tech for a while.

Oh Retail Girl I wish I was in your area. The stores by me are not hiring at all. They stopped hiring in November and I've even checked the career website and etc. I'm not in for the money. This is my first job and i'm happy with what I'm getting as I cannot complain about something I've never had before. I am in for the experience. I am in to learn... Truth be told, race is a big issue around me. Everyone around here makes it known whether they like you or not so that may also be a factor. I have no clue how this is going to turn out but I will take everyone's advice. Thankss!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back