Archived Only way to prevent stores from opening early is not to shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest Attendant

Former Target Team Member
Wouldn't you all agree on that? you see people complain, and yet those who complain are the ones who are in that line for that toaster or 55" TV....

matter of fact the SAME people above are the ones who "fell sorry" for you to have to work on thanksgiving are the SAME ones who will be rude to you and be pushing and shoving you around....

Blaming the customers is not the problem. They will come at 9pm on thanksgiving just as eagerly as they will at 2/4/6/8am on friday. they feel like their hands are tied. the people going out in a shopping craze for deals feel as though this is the only way they can afford the gifts they want to get. customers don't care when the store opens. opening on thanksgiving isn't for customers - it is just trying to beat other retailers.

The reason that Target or any other retailer is now open on Thanks Giving is simple. It can be qualified as corporate greed. I am not saying that this is a bad thing, it is merely the consequence of living in a capitalist economy. It is the reason that the country we live in is so great.

Now before you all go off just hear me out. We are a society of consumers and we all want to have nice things, but, not all of us have the means. Sure it may be shallow that we think that we need to buy things for people that we love to prove our dedication or perhaps even more shallow that we are so focused on the items that we keep for ourselves. That aside people are willing to spend money... and what makes people feel good about spending money? Spending less money on the same good. Sure it may be a bit of a logical flaw because they are still spending money on things that they don't need, but, I think we all know what it feels like to get a good value.

And lets face it, it does boil down to when people are willing to go shopping to save a buck or two and yes they are willing to go shopping at 9pm on Thanks Giving. And as I said before and anyone with the most basic understanding of economics will understand is that a business will always try to maximize its profit. Its all about self interest; it applies to everything you do in your everyday life as well. Look at it from Targets perspective now. Think about as retailer X opens at 10pm on thanksgiving and Target opens at 9pm with comparable sales. Some people may look at it as everyone is going to go to Target so I should go to Target, but, I think most will see that Target is opening earlier, I won't have to be out as late, They have the same types of goods for the same price. Target is my mind pretty much guaranteed to get higher head count than store X. Higher headcount = higher sales. Higher sales = more profit. More profit = more money in the corporations pockets.

It is fair to say that it is the customers fault. It is true that if they didn't shop then stores would not be open, but, its time to face facts... They will shop, Target and any good business is interested in money. And if they are willing to come and spend money and we are to keep our doors closed then what kind of business decision is that?

Life is not all about businesses. Sometimes a business should have some sort of ethics. Stores that are not open on Thanksgiving will not shutter their doors and go out of business.

the best way to solve black thursday problem, is to contact your local or state governments to impose a ban on businesses during thanksgiving.

There are a billion articles out there stating when the best time to buy different products is at various times of the year. And Black Friday is rarely that day for any products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back