Archived Overtime in California?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cal

My ETL pulled me to the side today and said that I had worked seven days last week because I had clocked out a few minutes after midnight once or twice last week. Does anyone know if the problem is that I worked 7 days since the few minutes after 12AM counted as a workday? I've clocked out a few minutes late after 12AM before and it was never an issue.

Thanks

Last edited:
My ETL pulled me to the side today and said that I had worked seven days last week because I had clocked out a few minutes after midnight once or twice last week. Does anyone know if the problem is that I worked 7 days since the few minutes after 12AM counted as a workday? I've clocked out a few minutes late before after 12AM and it was never an issue.

Thanks

Yeah overtime is bad. I don't know which part is the bad part, but general rule. Always (ALWAYS) clock out when you're supposed to. And when picking up shifts, make sure they know how many days/hours that gives you for the week.

That's why. In CA, anything you work over 6 days in a row is considered OT. The first 8 hours of your 7th day of work is time and a half, anything beyond the first 8 hours as well as each consecutive day worked greater than 7 in a row is double time.

So if you work Sunday through Thursday, don't clock out until 12:05am on Thursday night (technically Friday morning), and then have Friday off but work on Saturday...that Saturday shift would be 100% OT?

That would be a nightmare to keep track of in stores that close at midnight.

So if you work Sunday through Thursday, don't clock out until 12:05am on Thursday night (technically Friday morning), and then have Friday off but work on Saturday...that Saturday shift would be 100% OT?

That would be a nightmare to keep track of in stores that close at midnight.

That's right! ...And it is. Makes it difficult to know whether you can call someone in. "Hi, MyTime shows you had Sunday off, and it's now Wednesday. Did you work past midnight Saturday night/into Sunday morning? Yes? Okay, nevermind!"

At my store, working seven days in a row is treated the same as being non-compliant with meals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back