Archived People of the Front End lend me your ears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know, I can understand writing up a cashier who is seen bypassing the prompts, but today our GSTL was told by our DTL to start writing up every cashier who does not get a redcard on their shift. Our store has only been averaging about 3 or 4 a day lately ( we are an ULV store in a rural type area), so if this is the new policy our GSTL is going to be spending their entire shift writing people up.

Also over time your GSTL will be swamped doing interviews for new cashiers.

"It's plain and simple: people don't want to open Red Cards!"

LOL. They just don't KNOW that they want to open a Red Card.

Here are my tips:

Sell to every guest. Don't wait for the prompt or you'll miss lots of opportunities.

Don't wait until the transaction is complete to start talking about the Red Card. As soon as the guest starts unloading, ask if they are familiar with the Red Card.

Try to avoid using the word "credit." That scares 'em off.

If they say they are familiar with the Red card and they don't want it, explain that we now have the option of attaching the Card to their checking account - it works just like the debit card they're using today, except they save 5%, get free shipping from Target.com with no minimum and we donate 1% of all your purchases to the school of your choice. And there are no transaction fees or annual fees like the bank's card. Tout the fact that they can shop online and if the item doesn't fit, it can be returned to the Target store - no hassles. And think of the things you can ship to your college kid - no shipping fees, no hassle with returns.

Or if they have a stack of coupons, point out that the Red Card is an extra 5% coupon that they don't have to clip; it stays in their pocket and can be used every time they come to Target.

Or if the guest is pregnant, remind her that with the new baby coming, there will be lots of additional expenses with diapers, formula, clothes, strollers, and stuff. Wouldn't it be nice to save that 5%? Hey, you could even start a savings account with that 5% for your child's college education. It really adds up quickly.

Or if they're buying alcohol, mention that an extra 5% adds up quickly and there's no minimum purchase to get a discount like there is at the liquor store. You know, the liquor store requires you to buy a case to get a discount, right?

Always thank the guest who is using his/her Red Card loudly and point out their year to date savings. I've sold so many Red Cards to the next guest after hearing the guest brag about how much she's saved.

As a GSA/GSTL, when you're checking ID on alcohol sales for a minor, try this: BTW, did "cashier" remember to tell you about our Red Card? Then go into the savings spiel. It's a great way to teach your younger, less experienced cashiers how to sell and it gives them the confidence to try some of the tips. Modeling works better for me than one on one off the lane teaching.

Is it fun selling Red Cards? Not always. But consider it a game and compete with yourself.

Try to avoid using the word "credit." That scares 'em off.

If they say they are familiar with the Red card and they don't want it, explain that we now have the option of attaching the Card to their checking account - it works just like the debit card they're using today, except they save 5%, get free shipping from Target.com with no minimum and we donate 1% of all your purchases to the school of your choice.

I try to push the Check Card a lot because people are generally wary of opening credit cards. The problem that I run into is that so many guests don't carry their checkbooks anymore, so they don't have a check with them for the application.

Another problem that I run into is that a lot of the guests at my store come in from Canada and can't apply because they don't have SSNs. These are the guests that spend lots of money and get a good portion of the Red Card prompts.

Hmmmm, I could've sworn I read something about Canadian citizens and redcards. I'll look it up tomorrow.

ask every guest every time.
even this doesn't help much with getting RCs.

Today, out of curiosity I kept track of a number of RC issues.

Here is the information for one short shift....
I had 95 transactions.
I had 6 guests use their RC.
I had 5 guests say that they had a RC, but weren't using it.
I had one guest tell me that his wife has a card, but he doesn't.
I got 1 guest to sign up for a RC debit card.
So, 11 out of 95 guests have RCs. That leaves 84 chances to get a guest to sign up for a RC. Of the remaining 84 guests I got my one RC.

Seems to me that Target needs to work on getting RC users who have a card to actually USE the card.

I know, small example and unscientific, but I bet if we were able to count the number of people who tell us they have a RC they'd discover that they are missing a ton of opportunities.

I have the same problem with the check card. One day I had 6 people that wanted it and not one of them was carrying their checkbook.:girl_sad:

Seems to me that Target needs to work on getting RC users who have a card to actually USE the card.

There could be a variety of reasons they don't use their Red Card. For myself, while I will use it on my grocery shopping or whatever else, I have a policy that if I have the cash and it's only 10 dollars or so, I try to use the cash. I hate using any card for such a small purchase personally.

I have the same problem with the check card. One day I had 6 people that wanted it and not one of them was carrying their checkbook.:girl_sad:

When I applied for the check card, I didn't have a check with me. The cashier used a dummy check and she gave me a pamphlet with a phone number in it. I called it when I got home and gave them my bank information and was approved. It was a pilot program at the time. Are they still offering that option?

Another problem that I run into is that a lot of the guests at my store come in from Canada and can't apply because they don't have SSNs. These are the guests that spend lots of money and get a good portion of the Red Card prompts.

Coming from another store near that border I know that the canadians can sign up for the credit card, but not the debit card. The debit card is only because the checking accounts have different number lengths for the account and routing numbers than we do.

For the credit card they have to enter what they call a "social insurance number" which is equivalent to our social security number. The only difference there is the format. They are the same length but theirs is xxx-xxx-xxx whereas ours is xxx-xx-xxxx. We have canadians paying their cards at our store every week so it can be done!

Coming from another store near that border I know that the canadians can sign up for the credit card, but not the debit card. The debit card is only because the checking accounts have different number lengths for the account and routing numbers than we do.

I would think that as long as they have a check with the numbers on it, the POS would be able to process it, but maybe not.

For the credit card they have to enter what they call a "social insurance number" which is equivalent to our social security number. The only difference there is the format. They are the same length but theirs is xxx-xxx-xxx whereas ours is xxx-xx-xxxx. We have canadians paying their cards at our store every week so it can be done!

This piece of information is awesome! I shall relay this to my GSTLs and fellow cashiers.

When I applied for the check card, I didn't have a check with me. The cashier used a dummy check and she gave me a pamphlet with a phone number in it. I called it when I got home and gave them my bank information and was approved. It was a pilot program at the time. Are they still offering that option?

They aren't at my store, at least, not yet.

I've had as many as 11 in one shift (store record). It's B.S. that they expect you to get any if you're on carts. Nonetheless I'm going to share my pitch in a new thread for anybody that wants to hear it. I'm going to title it Red Card Pitch. If I don't get 3 or 4 in a day it's rare.

How long ago was this? I remember reading about the pilot on here, but I've heard nothing since.

you have to have a forked tongue/" the gift of the silver tongue" aka the mark of a liar to get any decent amount of redcards. I have gotten 1 in the past year.(probably longer than that albeit I am salesfloor and not cashier) The answer is always no or I already have one but don't have it with me. I just ask once I don't keep it up because in my opinion it is harassment to keep going on after a rejection.

Infact if I was on the other end of someone trying to sell me the idea of one after I rejected I'd probably walk out the door without purchasing anything. I find people offering stuff like that annoying/obnoxious(I'd ask if I was interested in such a thing) just like I hate when people ask me if I need assistance in a store I'd ask if I needed it.(and I''m a pretty shy person) Which is probably why hate asking guests "can I help you find something?"

you have to have a forked tongue/" the gift of the silver tongue" aka the mark of a liar to get any decent amount of redcards. I have gotten 1 in the past year.(probably longer than that albeit I am salesfloor and not cashier) The answer is always no or I already have one but don't have it with me. I just ask once I don't keep it up because in my opinion it is harassment to keep going on after a rejection.

Infact if I was on the other end of someone trying to sell me the idea of one after I rejected I'd probably walk out the door without purchasing anything. I find people offering stuff like that annoying/obnoxious(I'd ask if I was interested in such a thing) just like I hate when people ask me if I need assistance in a store I'd ask if I needed it.(and I''m a pretty shy person) Which is probably why hate asking guests "can I help you find something?"

I have the same ethical views on the matter, also for the ESP/RP/whatever things. This lack of desire to sleazily keep harassing people ... might get me fired if they keep worrying about numbers and not so much on service/quality.

Siiiigh.

I have the same ethical views on the matter, also for the ESP/RP/whatever things. This lack of desire to sleazily keep harassing people ... might get me fired if they keep worrying about numbers and not so much on service/quality.

Siiiigh.

Those numbers are a part of your core roles and if your GSTL and ETL GE were doing their job when they were interviewing you they would have made you quite aware of RedCard applications and that its your job to solicit them. I understand people's qualm with credit cards, but the check card we offer is actually a really sweet deal and it basically ends up being a loyalty card. 5% off on everything without any risk of fees or interest? Why not? Like to do online shopping but don't like paying for shipping? Free shipping as well.

I don't quite get the moral implications with ESPs either. Its your typical extended warranty, but more convenient than most others. I don't think there are any moral ambiguities unless you're lying to sell them. If you present the facts, and give your sales pitch as you would any other item in our stores and they want it then you have done nothing wrong.

You did know the retail sector involves selling stuff right? That's sort of how Target makes its money and we all have jobs. While your title is cashier or whatever, you're still required to sell. whether it be red cards, ESPs, or merchandise. Its the bottom line. At the end of the day even if our guests love us and think we're just the nicest coolest store in the world, if they're not buying and spending we're out of a job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back