Archived POG, Pricing, & Signing TL

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunForACallBox

General Merchandise Expert (Stationery)
My ETL & current PP&S TL wants me to take the PP&S position when the current leader starts school and more LOD shifts. I'm really considering it because I love POG and I love working at my store. Any POG & Pricing TLs out there that could give me any advice. I know I will get training in at other stores but you guys on here know you stuff as well. Current store is ULV and currently have 4 POG TMs (fluctuates) counting myself, roughly 3 Pricing TMs (fluctuates), 1 signing TM. I want to be a really good TL and be on top of my teams so any organizational ideas are more than welcome. I will try to respond to as many people as possible that respond to the thread. Thank you!

id like to say good luck. i dont have pricing just pog and its a major struggle I cant imagine having pricing too. however i know there are people who have both or had both so im sure someone will come along..

maybe @Hardlinesmaster knows where that thread is? Someone made a topic about this awhile back. I remember them saying the key thing is to have the teams cross trained in both areas.

I would recommend just by what I've seen work is getting a signing TM who can handle themselves and is self motivated, a signing ninja. Also recommend developing someone in your price change team to be a leader, someone to answer the questions of the other team members. Then spend most of your time with Plano because that is usually the most hectic considering the workload they put on them and the hours provided. As long as you maintain good relationships with your pricing team and help them when needed it shouldn't be a problem.

Th
id like to say good luck. i dont have pricing just pog and its a major struggle I cant imagine having pricing too. however i know there are people who have both or had both so im sure someone will come along..
ank you. The pricing team is mainly ok by themselves. Just checking up on them and making sure nothing crazy has happened.

I would recommend just by what I've seen work is getting a signing TM who can handle themselves and is self motivated, a signing ninja. Also recommend developing someone in your price change team to be a leader, someone to answer the questions of the other team members. Then spend most of your time with Plano because that is usually the most hectic considering the workload they put on them and the hours provided. As long as you maintain good relationships with your pricing team and help them when needed it shouldn't be a problem.
We had one who was a leader on pricing, but when she returns she will only be part-time, so I will have to look for others with potential. The signing person is so... unorganized, calls out a few times, so I'll have to hover over him to get the signing area organized where people can find things and get him where he needs to be.

Completely agree here. I was that team member at my store however in less than 6 months I was promoted to TL myself due to it, however I also did lead the pog team any time my team lead was away...

Few things I would say
Plan plan plan. In my opinion this position requires the most planning of any team leader position in the store. You'll need to analyze team member strengths and weaknesses to determine how to plan your workloads as well as how many people you have each day.

DEFINITELY have them cross trained. We've had many days where pricing workload jumps at the last minute and we've had to move people around.

Really partner with your signing team member. At my store I helped communicate to the rest of the team the team's progress, what we had left, any issues with current pogs, I mysupported any issues. I did pre-ties for my TL, I prepped pogs (found locations / pre-tied / tied & batched each morning)... While you don't have to have the signing person do ALL of this (I was willing just because I knew I was going to get recognized and promoted as I did within 6 months of starting at the store) but having them help with the tedious stuff frees up time for you.

While you do need to plan and organize a lot, definitely make time to work along side your pog team. One of the biggest complaints of the team at my store is that the PTL is lazy and doesn't do much work... try to maintain good relationships with the team, working along side and showing interest in their well being will make them better workers.

Really train one of the core pricing team members. Our pricing team essentially runs itself. Don't just forget about them, frequently check in to make sure their workload will be done and get them assistance if needed, but for the most part they should be ok on their own.

Maintain good communication with your backroom team lead / logistics team lead and etl's... At my store there is a poor relationship between the two so POG is responsible for the entire work of setting a pog. From pulling researching pushing backstocking (and obviously setting it) however I've seen several stores where the backroom does the pulls and backstocking for you.. Having good communication and relationship with them can ease some of your workload..

Learn Comp Shop so your team member knows what they're doing... If you need help with that I can give you info on how to be green here... I had to do it for a while at my store and I know the %'s you need in order to obtain a green score..

Any questions or concerns I can add more probably.. lol these were just things that immediately came to mind.. I'm sure I left things out..

Completely agree here. I was that team member at my store however in less than 6 months I was promoted to TL myself due to it, however I also did lead the pog team any time my team lead was away...

Few things I would say
Plan plan plan. In my opinion this position requires the most planning of any team leader position in the store. You'll need to analyze team member strengths and weaknesses to determine how to plan your workloads as well as how many people you have each day.

DEFINITELY have them cross trained. We've had many days where pricing workload jumps at the last minute and we've had to move people around.

Really partner with your signing team member. At my store I helped communicate to the rest of the team the team's progress, what we had left, any issues with current pogs, I mysupported any issues. I did pre-ties for my TL, I prepped pogs (found locations / pre-tied / tied & batched each morning)... While you don't have to have the signing person do ALL of this (I was willing just because I knew I was going to get recognized and promoted as I did within 6 months of starting at the store) but having them help with the tedious stuff frees up time for you.

While you do need to plan and organize a lot, definitely make time to work along side your pog team. One of the biggest complaints of the team at my store is that the PTL is lazy and doesn't do much work... try to maintain good relationships with the team, working along side and showing interest in their well being will make them better workers.

Really train one of the core pricing team members. Our pricing team essentially runs itself. Don't just forget about them, frequently check in to make sure their workload will be done and get them assistance if needed, but for the most part they should be ok on their own.

Maintain good communication with your backroom team lead / logistics team lead and etl's... At my store there is a poor relationship between the two so POG is responsible for the entire work of setting a pog. From pulling researching pushing backstocking (and obviously setting it) however I've seen several stores where the backroom does the pulls and backstocking for you.. Having good communication and relationship with them can ease some of your workload..

Learn Comp Shop so your team member knows what they're doing... If you need help with that I can give you info on how to be green here... I had to do it for a while at my store and I know the %'s you need in order to obtain a green score..

Any questions or concerns I can add more probably.. lol these were just things that immediately came to mind.. I'm sure I left things out..
1) Yeah all the TMs on plano are cross trained on pricing, I'm the only one with NO experience... 2) I honestly have no clue what comp shop even is. 3) we have one plano TM who pulls & backstocks. Back room won't lift a finger and if they have to then you can see it on their face. But I do understand, they are as strung out as all the other teams in the store.

I rationalize that POG team won't do our backstock because it's not included in the adjacency calendar hours. We already pull our own stuff, backroom can backstock.

I agree with others who said you need a strong signing TM, and a leader on your pricing team. It's helpful to learn Price Accuracy so you know what it's like as a Pricing TM, but if you have a strong team you shouldn't have to jump in (I don't).
It's also important that you spend time setting and working alongside your POG team. They'll respect you and work harder for you when they see that you'll work with them. It's also an important time to model what you want from them. (Is the team bad about checking for signing? Do they not check endcaps for Ad/TPC signs? Do they not work clean?).

Is the position going to be a Sr TL position? If so, having LOD shifts and managing the weekly workload presents more challenges! Feel free to PM me with any questions, especially about LOD/POG TL stuff.

2) I honestly have no clue what comp shop even is.

Comp Shop is competitive price shopping. Basically, you go to Walmart to get their prices on specific items so Target can adjust its prices accordingly.

Comp Shop has been a hot topic around here the last couple months. See the following threads:
http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/comp-shop.2963/
http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/comp-shop-fail.6229/
http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/comp-shop-score.8142/
http://www.thebreakroom.org/index.php?threads/comp-shop-workload.8108/

I rationalize that POG team won't do our backstock because it's not included in the adjacency calendar hours. We already pull our own stuff, backroom can backstock.

I agree with others who said you need a strong signing TM, and a leader on your pricing team. It's helpful to learn Price Accuracy so you know what it's like as a Pricing TM, but if you have a strong team you shouldn't have to jump in (I don't).
It's also important that you spend time setting and working alongside your POG team. They'll respect you and work harder for you when they see that you'll work with them. It's also an important time to model what you want from them. (Is the team bad about checking for signing? Do they not check endcaps for Ad/TPC signs? Do they not work clean?).

Is the position going to be a Sr TL position? If so, having LOD shifts and managing the weekly workload presents more challenges! Feel free to PM me with any questions, especially about LOD/POG TL stuff.
At the moment it should just be TL. I hate the idea of not being able to work with my team. I do know I will have days with planning and status meetings so I won't be able to be there 100% but I want to be as much as I can be. The current one works along-side us. The one before was a LOD so he was more pre-occupied with the LOD tasks and was rarely with them and that team was literally almost 2 weeks behind. It was atrocious and I never stepped foot with POG until he left and went to another store. I'll have work with the signing TM. Not the strongest at getting things done and very unorganized in his area so we spend 15 min. rummaging through things to find signing/backerpaper and displays and stuff. But thank you for your reply!

I

Comp Shop is competitive price shopping. Basically, you go to Walmart to get their prices on specific items so Target can adjust its prices accordingly.

Comp Shop has been a hot topic around here the last couple months. See the following threads:
don't believe our store does this. I've never seen anyone scheduled under it in my 3 years, though we have a Walmart maybe 4-5 miles from us.

I want to reiterate choosing a leader on your Price Accuracy Team. Besides printing the workload forecasts weekly, planning the hours, and checking in on them you shouldn't have to do much. The main pricing tm will come running if its too much to handle lol.

Definitely crosstrain both teams in both areas. It helps in a pinch and helps keep your teams hours up when one team has a bigger workload. Send emails out each week as to what your plans are each day so the salesfloor TLS can remove clearance from aisles before you set. Maintaining a presence on the floor as much as possible will make your team happy.

I don't believe our store does this. I've never seen anyone scheduled under it in my 3 years, though we have a Walmart maybe 4-5 miles from us.

Maybe someone from another store comp shops for multiple stores in your district.

I don't believe our store does this. I've never seen anyone scheduled under it in my 3 years, though we have a Walmart maybe 4-5 miles from us.

Maybe someone from another store comp shops for multiple stores in your district.
Actually found out my/the ETL-LOG does this. Although I don't know how often. But apparently he's good. Our store was the first in it group to go from yellow to green on price accuracy. With recognition to the TL and pricing TMs as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back