Archived Policy For Power Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havok

Finally A Guest Again
There are some people in my store who have been given the "thumbs up" at my store by ETL's and the such to drive the wave and use the crane. I just found out that some of these guys aren't even certified but have been told to use them anyway. What the hell? Are these managers purposely setting my coworkers up to fail? One accident and they can be instantly terminated. I have also been given the thumbs up to use the power equipment but have not and will not until I know 100% that I am certified.

Getting certified isn't that hard. Just ask the backroom TL to get you signed off.

Using any power equipment without being certified can lead to a final warning.

Getting certified isn't that hard. Just ask the backroom TL to get you signed off.

Using any power equipment without being certified can lead to a final warning.
That's what I'm saying! Kind of weird to give people a green light without certifying them, right? Either that or those guys just don't know if they are certified.

To certify them, you would first have to train them. And, we all know how comprehensive training is at Spot.
If it's part of the learning plan it will happen. Only reason I finally got wav trained was my signing tm learning plan required it. But yeah. Twenty minutes tops.

You just have to wait for one of those people to get badly hurt, hurt someone else, or damage something expensive to see all that change in a hurry.
Most of that is about insurance and inspections more than actual safety so they will work like crazy to backfill if something bad happens.

Just like how you are supposed to be Backroom Certified to pull items.

And how cart attendants had to be certified on the Crown to stack and pull down hanger boxes.

I never was.

I haven't signed off on any certification, but on my very first day I was taught how to use the power equipment. BRTL pulled me and another newer BRTM aside the other day to show us how to use them, and was surprised when I already knew how.

Been a while since I've signed off on anyone for their certs but One been training 2 guys at once for the machinery. Kinda hard though since both of our crowns are shot, the bailer is having a shit fit lately, and one of our waves won't hold a charge. Also is bad since the morons that close forget to plug the machinery in before they leave.

If something needs to be done, get someone to do it. If you need someone to know, tell them. If these don't apply, it's not important, get over it.

As a leader, I recite these words to myself every day when I clock in. It gets me thru the "should they, could they, will they, won't they, who said, who didn't say, ect ect..." BS that causes more stress and prevents things from getting done.

Last edited:
If being certified requires a signature on a piece of paper, I'm only officially certified to use the cart pusher. However, I am also trained to operate the WAVe, power jack, baler, and compactor because working in the backroom requires me to use them. I'm not trained on the stacker, though, which is fine with me because the stacker terrifies me.

If being certified requires a signature on a piece of paper, I'm only officially certified to use the cart pusher. However, I am also trained to operate the WAVe, power jack, baler, and compactor because working in the backroom requires me to use them. I'm not trained on the stacker, though, which is fine with me because the stacker terrifies me.

The stacker/crown isn't too scary. You just need to be careful about how you position the bottom prongs so that they don't run into/over anything. Also need to be careful about the ceiling, definitely came close to knocking out those lights a couple of times.

The stacker/crown isn't too scary. You just need to be careful about how you position the bottom prongs so that they don't run into/over anything. Also need to be careful about the ceiling, definitely came close to knocking out those lights a couple of times.

I once witnessed a former backroom TL attempting to pull down a pallet of shelves in the fixture room. Our fixture room is über skinny with no room to maneuver a shopping cart, let alone a stacker carrying a pallet of shelves. That scared the hell out of me.

I once witnessed a former backroom TL attempting to pull down a pallet of shelves in the fixture room. Our fixture room is über skinny with no room to maneuver a shopping cart, let alone a stacker carrying a pallet of shelves. That scared the hell out of me.

Oh no fuck that. That'd be frightening. But just getting down a pallet from the third or fourth shelf on the steel? Not terrible. A bit tricky, but nothing terrifying.

You need to be certified to dump cardboard into the baler and crush? Lmao. I was trained to use the wave for SFS. Not like it's hard but I'm not wave certified. I was also shown how to operate the crown stacker. No way would I ever be comfortable to do anything with it other then move it out of my way lol. Nor am I backroom certified, but I do pulls for guests if I have a PDA/MyDevice. And I help pull CAF occasionally.

While others may have come close, I was successful! :confused:

I never signed anything that said I'm certified, but the BRTL did spend about 10 minutes showing me how to use them and I was given a key for them.

The WAVe was pretty straightforward, but the stacker took lots of practice before I was comfortable moving the double-stacked pallets of SFS boxes without hooking onto the lights or dropping anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back