Archived Position not posted

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so there is a full-time pharmacy tech position in my store.
The position is NOT being posted, yet there is a person of interest that has had a phone interview.
Can Target do this? I thought the position had to be posted.

The position is NOT being posted, yet there is a person of interest that has had a phone interview.
Nope. I recently applied for a TL position in a different store. It isn't posted, I found out about it through my DTL. They can keep some jobs open without publicly announcing them if they want to 'save' it for a leader who's position is being eliminated, somebody in the pipeline they're trying to promote, etc etc.

Nope. I recently applied for a TL position in a different store. It isn't posted, I found out about it through my DTL. They can keep some jobs open without publicly announcing them if they want to 'save' it for a leader who's position is being eliminated, somebody in the pipeline they're trying to promote, etc etc.

Curious, did your DTL seek you out and tell you about it? I have never been on that side so I am not sure how that part happens.

idk, that seems rather shady to me. When we had open positions we had to post them in the hallway and interview everyone who applied for it. Otherwise, it seems like discrimination or showing partiality to a certain person. If I really wanted that position and felt I deserved at least an interview, I'd be very pissed off that they did it like that. How else is a TM supposed to move up?

But why waste everyone's time with interviews if they already know who they are going to promote?

It would not be considered discrimination unless there is a recurring pattern (i.e. All leaders are a specific gender/race/ethnicity and those not in that category are not treated equally). No law requires them to open the position up to everyone and even when they do open the position up to the store, most of the time theres a pretty good idea which person is going to get it even before anyone puts in an application.

It all depends on your state.

I had one store that would not post positions by all sorts of underhanded means. They would post the position for a day. Or post newly available positions for an hour; meaning post the sign, conducted the only interview with the Execs' selected candidate, then take the posting down. Some times they wouldn't post the position at all, you walk in one day to find out that a cashier with very little experience was promoted to GSA or GSTL (being the only candidate), or a shift manager at the nearby Burger King became the new Softlines TL.

During my last 3 years, my store only posted for 3 postitions for GSTL and GSA positions. Yet we had about 15-20 TL hirings through out the entire store.

In my last years, about all positions were given to outside hires or other store transfers over internal applicants. Never was one internal interviewed. It was so bad, I turned in applications once a week just to get them to remember my name.

The environment was so bad at my store, I was training multiple TLs in my work centers in a back to back rotation every couple months.

I did discover later that one of my ETL-HRs was throwing a number of applications (including mine) in the trash upon finding them in her mailbox.

Last edited:
My two promotions at Target have been to positions that weren't posted, and were pretty much "offered" to me.

Spot isn't unionized, so unless there is some state regulation requiring all open positions be posted on the wall they aren't required to do so.

That being said, all open positions are listed on JAS and accessible from eHR.

Any team member can establish a logon for Workbench, where they can access career spot, where many of these so called "not posted" positions are posted. The times of having a posting by the time clock are gone. District positions and/or positions at other stores as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back