Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Magnets on Fridge

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NPC

特別な目を開けるためにパトリックを殺す
So I've been with Target for a few years now. I came in as a cashier, and I primarily work in Guest Service these days. I'd love to move up in the company for the sake of just maintaining more consistent hours and simply getting more pay. However, the natural progression from Cashier/Guest Service seems to be GSA/GSTL. Are there any other positions besides those?

Here's my gripe. Basically, I struggle with anxiety. I've even had a few anxiety attacks at work before, just from isolated incidents where things where out of control for whatever reason. (usually an odd mix of callouts, no help, and angry guests) ANYWAY, despite taking the necessary steps to manage my anxiety (as far a I know, no one at work even knows I deal with this) I don't feel confident in my ability to be a GSA or GSTL, which means I'm basically topped out as a Guest Service TM. I'm stuck behind a rock and a hard place. Either try out for GSTL, hope I don't have an anxiety attack at just the absolute worst time possible, and celebrate my whopping 25 cent raise. OR stay at my measly 25-30 hours at my slowly increasing, "just above" minimum wage pay.

So what else is there? If not GSA/GSTL, what else can I do as a step up? Is there anything behind the scenes? How does one get into HR? I'd love to do that for example. Any other positions that pay more than being on the front end, that don't involve being a GSTL?

Also, I'm not sure if this is the right place for this topic. SO FEEL FREE TO MOVE IF NEED BE! :p

HR is probably the smallest team so getting the one TM position can be hard. Tons of options: flow team, back room, receiver (reverse logistics), pog team, signing, price accuracy, in stocks. With any management position comes more responsibility and the potential for anxiety inducing events. Retail is up there in causing anxiety.

Talk with HR and see what openings your store has. That would be the first step.

If it makes you feel any better, I'm a GSA and I struggle with anxiety. Some days are better than others for me, but the anxiety is there no matter what and I can't control that, unless I were to swallow a handful of Xanax every day at which point I'd be far from productive.

Having anxiety is something you have to learn to cope with. I have decided that it will never go away no matter what. It's who I am. So I have to learn to live with it. Do I want to be held down and limited in my job opportunites because I have anxiety? No, I don't. I want to make enough money to be able to support my child and myself comfortably. Being a GSA doesn't do that exactly, but it can open up opportunities for that to happen. It forces me out of my tiny little comfort zone and makes me deal with a whole variety of issues that help me grow as a person and develop a skillset for my future career. Its a nice add on to a resume. It can also open up an opportunity for a team lead position if you are wanting to continue with Target.

With that being said, the job of gsa itself is difficult, and you add anxiety on top of it and it makes it so much harder. But I just have to work at it harder than other people do, and basically just fake it til I make it. I made it this far, I'm fooling someone well enough. Like you, nobody at my work seems to know I struggle with it.

No matter where you move up to, your interaction with people is going to increase, if you do in fact move up. You'll be dealing with your etls more and very directly as opposed to having them hardly say two words to you, dealing with guests more (regardless of whether you're a gsa/gstl or in some other workcenter) and the pressure will be on. But with some determination, you can do it. I just have a couple of great people at work that I can turn to when the going gets really tough, and I let myself have my meltdowns sometimes. Most importantly though, I have TBR :) I seriously don't know what the hell I'd do without this place :)

@Target NPC , I have severe depression and anxiety. And I was a TL for most of my almost 20 years at Target. So, I am sure you can handle it. Focusing your energies on planning and always thinking of the next step helps. I know being a TL or GSA also means being a babysitter-just ensure you hold people accountable for their actions. The only thing I couldn't handle was being bullied for my last 7 months with the company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back