Prepare for next

Yes my district is doing it and I’m part of the program. While I am glad that Target is doing some structured development for TLs, I was surprised by the amount of participants district wide. Roughly 5 TLs from each store were selected, meaning we supposedly have 45-50 people in the pipeline for ETL. There’s only been one ETL posting this fiscal year, so it’s pretty clear most people will not be promoting anytime soon with Target.

With that being said, we had our first class session with our SD and I genuinely thought the content was pretty impactful. If anything, I think it’s a good program to simply develop and better leaders, and I feel it shoots be advertised more as so vs an ETL development program.

What was the first class like? Only two people from my store was choosen, not sure about district wide. My district doesn’t really have much upward movement. Three or four years ago there were five people on the bench and whenever a position opened it 99% of the time went to an external. I am excited that they are doing this, but I want it to actually mean something.

If you become an ETL do you even know where you will be placed?

Our district is fairly large and my ETL drives over 30 miles to work.

What was the first class like? Only two people from my store was choosen, not sure about district wide. My district doesn’t really have much upward movement. Three or four years ago there were five people on the bench and whenever a position opened it 99% of the time went to an external. I am excited that they are doing this, but I want it to actually mean something.
The class was focused on People Leadership and and communication. We talked a lot about our relationships in the store, and there was a little exercise to find out what your communication style was and how that can impact your leadership style. I can grab the paperwork next time I’m at work and give a little bit more info. The session went a little longer than I’d like, but I did feel it was a good time to reflect on my leadership style and kind of strategize how I’ll do better to build relationships store wide.

Based off what I know, I do believe the intent of this is start hiring almost exclusively internally for ETL. Whether that happens or not is to be determined. On Monday my store director confirmed to me that leadership positions(TL and ETL) no longer have to be posted on Workday if the hiring store is planning on hiring internal talent. Now I do have some opinions on that, but the point stands there’s a push for internal hiring this year

If you become an ETL do you even know where you will be placed?

Our district is fairly large and my ETL drives over 30 miles to work.
The offer usually includes the location and role, but technically they only need to offer you the role itself. Location usually factors into negotiating unless you're going for a specific role beforehand.

I was selected for my store but my SD is scheduling our first session for May 26th so I have awhile until I know the details on what it will entail. Anyone else who has their sessions earlier please share info 😊

Stores must be more selective than distribution. Basically anyone, even those on CA, are allowed to enter prepare 4 next in our building. And be supported by leaders to have extra “down time” to work on development. This is the new free pass to get out of working now that COVID leaves are shut down.

I was selected for my store but my SD is scheduling our first session for May 26th so I have awhile until I know the details on what it will entail. Anyone else who has their sessions earlier please share info 😊
Did they push the pre work and training to you?

It was
You should get an email/workday stuff soon. Roughly an hour or two of prework? The first session was talking about communication styles, especially related to how your circle of people expands and how impactful your communication becomes as you progress into more responsibility. There was a fair amount of open discussion too. I was really impressed, which surprised me. My impression was that whether you're potentially promoting or not, it's a valuable class and should be given to all team leads. And yeah there are way more people in the class than will realistically see ETL in the next three years.

Yes my district is doing it and I’m part of the program. While I am glad that Target is doing some structured development for TLs, I was surprised by the amount of participants district wide. Roughly 5 TLs from each store were selected, meaning we supposedly have 45-50 people in the pipeline for ETL. There’s only been one ETL posting this fiscal year, so it’s pretty clear most people will not be promoting anytime soon with Target.

With that being said, we had our first class session with our SD and I genuinely thought the content was pretty impactful. If anything, I think it’s a good program to simply develop and better leaders, and I feel it shoots be advertised more as so vs an ETL development program.
To promote you gotta be willing to relocate. There could be openings elsewhere.

Comments on Reddit have been mixed so far, with many saying this is all very much dependent on who is running things. Has that been the case for everyone here?

I mean let's be real they have done some iteration of this every year with a new name for as long as i can remember. For the most part it dangles the carrot for many people and likely anyone getting a promotion from this was already likely going to be chosen. However if you don't do it you probably won't have the visibility necessary to get the promotion. Obviously some areas are more desperate then others looking for people to be promoted.

We just lost our ETL the other day (i.e fired for whatever reason).

We had a four month gap before they hired him when the previous left last year.

I am sure the new ETL will be someone fresh out of college with no relevant work experience.

I'm a TL and I'm driving like 25 mi to work. Maybe I'm a chump.
I don't think so.

I guess I should have worded that driving over 45 minutes to work is nonsensical.

I think the pandemic showed a lot of people that DAILY long commutes are a waste.

How did yours go?

Just got an invite for the second session, it’s going to closer to the end of the month for us. Looks like pre work will be pushed out next week.

Seems a little quick considering the first one wasn’t even 2 months ago, but I’m guessing the timing rolled out weird and the last one was supposed to be for Q1.

Back